Silly Enfield Question

Enfield .303, Santa Fe Jungle Carbine. Uh, where is the serial number ... on the barrel or the receiver? I have a 5-digit nuber on the barrel, after where it's stamped Santa Fe Jungle Carbine MD. On the receiver there's a 4-digit number prefixed my the letter "N".

Generally the number on the receiver is what counts no matter what type of gun since the receiver is legally the actual firearm part that matters.

my rifle has them on the left side of the receiver just below the saftey under a England stamp It starts of with MB and five numbers that you can hardly see and looks like the were put on by a 5 year old.

my rifle has them on the left side of the receiver just below the saftey under a England stamp It starts of with MB and five numbers that you can hardly see and looks like the were put on by a 5 year old.

"Real" jungle carbines had the serial number electro penciled, not stamped. I'm sure that really good fakes did as well. I seem to remember that Santa Fe's were converted from No 4 Mk1 rifles. I've seen a few at gun shows that were converted from No1 Mk III rifles, but there were only a very few genuine prototypes made in Canada or Australia and I doubt that they would be at a show here.

All No 5s were made at Royal Ordinance Factory Fazakerley ROF(F) or Birmingham Small Arms Co Shirley (BSA Shirley).

There are several sites that show how to tell the difference between real and after market Jungle Carbines.

Gary

"Real" jungle carbines had the serial number electro penciled, not stamped. I'm sure that really good fakes did as well. I seem to remember that Santa Fe's were converted from No 4 Mk1 rifles. I've seen a few at gun shows that were converted from No1 Mk III rifles, but there were only a very few genuine prototypes made in Canada or Australia and I doubt that they would be at a show here.

All No 5s were made at Royal Ordinance Factory Fazakerley ROF(F) or Birmingham Small Arms Co Shirley (BSA Shirley).

There are several sites that show how to tell the difference between real and after market Jungle Carbines.

Gary

Mine is a conversion. I suspect that parts of it are MKIII. It has the BSA markings/1918, but little else remains that is authentic. Nice shooting rifle, but I'm having a little trouble with the flash hider (it wants to rotate when the barrel gets hot), and the sighting blade has been lost.

There's no electro pencilling [sad2] and this is clearly a piece that was rejiggered by Golden State Arms for the masses. I think it was purchased out of Sears Catalogue pre-68.

Mine is a conversion. I suspect that parts of it are MKIII. It has the BSA markings/1918, but little else remains that is authentic. Nice shooting rifle, but I'm having a little trouble with the flash hider (it wants to rotate when the barrel gets hot), and the sighting blade has been lost.

There's no electro pencilling [sad2] and this is clearly a piece that was rejiggered by Golden State Arms for the masses. I think it was purchased out of Sears Catalogue pre-68.

None of which makes it a bad rifle in of itself. Of course an original BSA with 1918 markings would be worth more.

Does the flash hider need to be repinned?

Gary

Back
Top Bottom