• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SKS Vacation

Umbagog

NES Member
Mass resident, heading up to the boonies of N.H. for some vacation time. I'm planning to poke around a few gun shops on the way up. If I find a nice SKS for the right price, any issues with buying it, shooting it for the week, and filling out the paperwork when I get home? Any suggestions on some good shops north of Concord? Thanks.

AFAIK any SKS in the US was made prior to the 94 ban. The latest production models would be Yugoslavian but even those were usually late 80s.

Good for you and don't forget the ammo![wink]

Some Norinco SKS are C&R by virtue of their age. The Chinese began producing them in 1956. Prove that your serial number puts the mfg. date back 50 years and voila! Instant C&R.

Rome

A small amount were caught up during the 1989 import ban and were neutered of lugs.

I bought one CAI import, from Jon Green (Mike's Gun Shop) during that one-shot gun sale GOAL ran many years ago. Pretty sure it isn't pre-ban and it does lack evil features. All my other SKSes are C&R from various countries.

I picked one up today that's just about immaculate for not much more than I was expecting to pay for a beater. Can't wait to hit the sand pits. Great deal, thanks SIGPRO 226!

I have a Yugo M59. I hope it is preban because it has the bayonet. How can I check the production date. I bought it with my C&R so it should be.

It is. You'll have to use Google to find a site that will date the rifle, I know they're out there, just don't have the links handy.

All SKS are C&R, period, except for the assorted Norinco and even they, because of their age, are now C&R. For some reason the SKS were specially called out as "curios" by the ATF long ago even though they were much younger than 50. Why did the ATF do that? Don't rightly know. It's a mystery because usually a "curio" qualifies because it's very limited production (SKS is huge production) and/or an obscure caliber (SKS, not!). But I don't argue. The Norinco/Chinese made rifles were specially excluded initially but, as I mentioned, some are now 50 and automatically qualify as "relics" that way.

Rome

PS Just thought I'd throw this in here: Believe it or not, this is a Yugo 59/66 SKS. Nothing was modified but a new bullpup type of stock was installed around the action. Chk out SGWorks.

full%20right%20side.jpg

I can have it back to original configuration in about 10 minutes so no harm, no foul. The SKS is really a rifle of the ages.

R

Last edited:
All SKS are C&R, period, except for the assorted Norinco and even they, because of their age, are now C&R. For some reason the SKS were specially called out as "curios" by the ATF long ago even though they were much younger than 50. Why did the ATF do that? Don't rightly know. It's a mystery because usually a "curio" qualifies because it's very limited production (SKS is huge production) and/or an obscure caliber (SKS, not!). But I don't argue. The Norinco/Chinese made rifles were specially excluded initially but, as I mentioned, some are now 50 and automatically qualify as "relics" that way.

Rome

PS Just thought I'd throw this in here: Believe it or not, this is a Yugo 59/66 SKS. Nothing was modified but a new bullpup type of stock was installed around the action. Chk out SGWorks.

I can have it back to original configuration in about 10 minutes so no harm, no foul. The SKS is really a rifle of the ages.

R

How is the trigger on that?

The trigger on this rifle is quite remarkable considering there is a control rod that connects the original to the new one. It's not connected like you'd think it would be. Rather the control rod, adjustable for length in microscopic increments to finely tailor the feel, is actually connected to the rear trigger using what I'd call a "bellcrank". Instead of pulling the SKS trigger backwards, the bellcrank pushes the SKS trigger forward above the fulcrum of the exposed trigger. The result is that there is very little takeup and it feels, for all the world, like a typical SKS trigger. Not one that's been beat up, either. IT's pleasant to shoot with zero trigger slap. All the weight of the action is between the trigger and buttstock sticking in your shoulder. Felt recoil is actually much smoother than with the original SKS, too. All in all I was pleasantly pleased and surprised with the end result for this true frankenrifle. I would recommend it as a fun project. It's very accurate, to, of course any good SKS is.

Rome

Back
Top Bottom