Smith M & P approval

Why didn't someone ask the RO to look at it?

Rental guns get abused and if nobody says anything, nothing will get fixed.

I wouldn't "assume" that what happened to a rental gun is "normal" for that model gun.

+1 Len... A rental gun being strange is a rule rather than an exception, a
lot of times. I didn't have any trouble with the M+P .40 or .45, although
the mags on the fullsize .40 looked pretty beat up.

Since the guns only had one mag at the line it would not surprise me if
the mags -were- really beat up. I have a USP .40c mag at home, I'm not
sure what is wrong with it, but anytime that particular mag was in the gun,
sometimes it wants to fall out of the gun while I am shooting it. None of
the other mags I have do that, so it's obviously defective in some way.

-Mike

Since we can't seem to get away from the Glock comparison, I'll add my .02

I like the Glock because 1. It has a really decent stock trigger, and 2. You can have a great variety of frame sizes and calibers which ALL operate exactly the same way and have the same trigger.

That said, I bought an M&P full size 9mm, got the Burwell custom trigger, and in it's present state it is outstanding! The Burwell trigger job elevates it beyond Glock stock triggers. If Smith can manage to add some caliber and frame size options for us MA folks, AND you are not adverse to spending the money on trigger work, the M&P's are certainly worth a hard look. I'd love to have an M&P compact 45 with some added Burwell magic!

With the glock you can change out your own trigger for about $20-30 and work on the whole pistol yourself, I don't think the M&P is that easy to work on from the looks of it.

Smith will not change out any triggers on Mass legal models, I emailed to see becuase it would be cheaper at the factory to do it then send it out.

But I will say I tried the trigger on a full size at FS about 2 weeks ago the last one they had in stock and it broke clean! and weight was not to bad from feeling it.

Actually, At S&W, I shot the .40c just after someone had the issue with the dropping mags and I didn't have it fall out once. I wonder if it is more an issue with the shooter's grip than anything. I did have an issue getting that 10th round in which in discussing it with S&W was assured that it was an issue that was addressed in a mfg change order earlier this year.

In my case, I found that the M&P series (regardless of caliber and frame) all seemed to move a little in my grip when fired. When I finally get my hands on my own, some modification to the grip to make it less slick will be in order.

There is a nice write up on how to do the M&P trigger floating around the web. Certainly not rocket science and you can polish and grind to whatever level you want.

Swapping the trigger sections is also very simple with the proper parts. The biggest difference is one pin. In the MA version it is a large diameter and in the free states, it is smaller. Replace the pin and the part it rides in and you have the free state trigger. Smooth some of the edges of those parts and you'll have a much better feel.

A Compact .45 will likely come, but the Factory is right now still trying to keep up with demand and looking to nab as many Police contracts as they can as well as keeping an eye at the US Armed Forces sidearm tests that could be announced anytime.

I asked the VP of Marketing, Tom Taylor about doing an M&P with a Scandium upper and he didn't say 'no', only "It's not something we are looking at yet."

And then there is that certain aluminum casting we all saw that we weren't supposed to.... Opps, Maybe I shouldn't talk about that.

Most of the gunsmiths I've spoken with say that the M&P is just about as easy to work on as the Glock, only there are a few more places they can do some work to make the action smoother. With effort, a 2lb target grade trigger is possible on the M&P. Not so on the Glock.

If you look at the magazine catch its really small and it doesn't look like it catches much of the mag it self, if new owners have problems there is a M@P forum that has lots of info on this weapon.

I just picked up an M&P 40 with the Mass compliant trigger. I've read a lot of posts regarding the trigger jobs here and on M&P Pistol forum. Other than the Burwell trigger jobs is there a simple way to reduce the trigger to 6.5? The guys a Plimoth Bay outfitters said they'd replace the spring for $10 (with stock S&W spring) to get it down to 6.5 lbs I was wary of that and wanted to get your feedback first

Not sure what spring they are referring to... The "MA" pull is a result of the sear assembly which can easily be replaced. Go to Brownells for "std" sear assembly. I'd be weary of the "spring" replacement.

it's the thicker spring in the sear assembly that makes it a 10 lb pull. Replacing the spring with a standard one brings it down to 6.5 lbs. I had M&M do it for me and it made a noticable difference. It took them about 5 minutes while I waited.

Here's a link to the spring/trigger pull discussion on MP-pistol.com. Additionally, the folks at M&M told me they were told by S&W that changing out the spring will bring the pull weight down to the standard 6.5.
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2836&highlight=spring+pull+trigger

That's good to know... I thought I read that it had to do with the shape of the sear as well... where it engages with the striker. I stand corrected. Now the question is what is the part number for the "std" spring? The sear assembly itself is about $25.

Back
Top Bottom