Smith M & P approval

100 dollars on a 500 dollar gun to get something that shoots better than a 650 dollar used Sig? I would get the trigger job either way, and it can probably be fixed easily with a spring swap you can do yourself. Yeah it sucks that we have to even bother but it isn't insurmountable. The stock trigger is 6 pounds anyways which isn't all that impressive.

Not sure if it's better than a Sig... different animal... but regardless I thought the M&P trigger was more than 6 lbs for MA.

Honestly the only way to cure the reset on a Sig was to send it to Bruce Gray for years. Now with the SRT package that is solved, but that is quite recent. Even the ten pound MA M&P will have a better reset than a stock Sig. It's the nature of the beast.

Honestly the only way to cure the reset on a Sig was to send it to Bruce Gray for years. Now with the SRT package that is solved, but that is quite recent. Even the ten pound MA M&P will have a better reset than a stock Sig. It's the nature of the beast.

Depends on what you're looking for in a trigger... since I don't/can't fully
"game the reset" on most of my guns, it's patently irrelevant for me, to a
point. About the only gun I can do it on is my 1911s; and that is because
the reset really isn't much different from full letoff.

I think a bigger difference between something like a Sig and an M+P is
the way the trigger breaks. A striker type gun like a Glock or an M+P is
going to have more of a "rolling break". A Sig (in SA) is (often)
going to have that damned "5 pound wall" you have to push through,
which many people can't seem to master. I've felt some sig SA triggers
which were downright terrible, mostly the breaking weight is way too high.
On the other hand I have a couple of sigs which are incredible... and both the SA
triggers break at less than 3.5 pounds or so. Either these guns were worked
over or the german factory just did a better job with its fire control
parts. (P220 and P228 proof marked guns) And then there is the X-Five,
which has none of those issues. Every sig's SA should be like the X-Five
competition's. [grin]

-Mike

Yeah, I've seem some variation in the Sigs as well. My 239, 229 and 228 have a great SA... no creep and very clean. The first DA is always a bitch but that's a Sig- I accept that. Two things are care about are total pull and no creep. Creep is an issue when slow shooting not so much in action shooting. 10lbs + pull is always an issue for me.

Like I said the std M&P trigger is great- light and crisp. Reset was very smooth and almost unnoticable. 10lbs for all pulls is just ludicrous. My Glocks are 5.5lbs and that's enough for me for a striker DA gun. I'm sure once enough people get the triggers "fixed" I'll be in the market for one... it just really sucks to get such a good gun for under $500 and NEED to get a trigger job. None of my guns have a trigger job... maybe I need to reconsider.

At FS today they had a Ma. trigger m&p 40, the trigger wasn't as bad as I expected. It is not a sigma trigger pull alittle lighter but its NO glock trigger either. They only had that one 40 with more to come so I order a 9mm one.

At FS today they had a Ma. trigger m&p 40, the trigger wasn't as bad as I expected. It is not a sigma trigger pull alittle lighter but its NO glock trigger either. They only had that one 40 with more to come so I order a 9mm one.

Kendall-op,
What were they asking for it?
TIA
Gary

Had mine for a few days now and the 10 lb trigger pull was not as bad as I thought(not like the sigma[wink] ), and after breaking it in, (both live fire and just pulling the trigger at home) the action itself smoothed out a huge amount and the wear on the spring was making the 10 seem much less. Now I can't wait for brownells to get the M&P parts in...:) S&W changed some much need items from the 1st gens to what we are getting in Mass, specifically the slide stop, mag well and the trigger rest spring, but these newer ones are much, much better.

I'd like to get a list of required items to make the trigger normal again. If possible I'd like to do it myself.

I put about 150 rounds through the 9mm M&P compact while i was at Smith & Wesson today and all I can say is that even for a relatively new shooter such as myself it was a breeze to shoot, I was impressed and was able to get really good groupings and precision...can't wait to own my own!

M&P Trigger Job

I wonder how good of an idea it would be to monkey with the trigger if this was to be a carry gun? If you end up shooting someone with a custom trigger that circumvents the AG's "saftey rules" in order to make the pistol more deadly, that might not look good. Plus I heard S&W is making the trigger hard to change..........

If the gun has the ability to have the trigger changed, it will suffer the same fate as Glock did. It will have the heavy trigger in it and it will have to be something to get used to if you want one here.

Joe R. ( who left the stock triggers in his Glocks. )

changing the trigger would very defensible in court,provided the change was not to radical. Just remember most of the Glocks used in L/E have the standard 5.5 lb trigger in them. Additionally most police agencies that are issuing the M/P are not doing so with the 10lb trigger. IF 5.5 lbs is safe enough for the police as well as the FBI (Glocks) then its good enough for me. I would argue my changing the trigger made the gun more shootable, making it more acurate for the shooter. This in turn means I am more likely to hit what I am aiming at and less likely to hit an innocent bystander. I would not go lower than 5.5 lbs .

Oh no, not this again.....

[rolleyes]

The "trigger being frowned upon in court" thing is pure "Ayoob glue fumes"
and nothing more. It would really only ever come into play if you were
involved in a shooting that was not being "sold" as a case of self
defense. (in which case you're screwed anyways. ) I fail to see the negative
repercussions of restoring the trigger to the way it should be will create. The
only real downside is if you go to sell it, the gun might not be passable over an
MA FFL's counter in terms of a inter-MA transfer due to the compliance issue.

-Mike

Zero Hour Arms has one in .40 NIB price should be around high 400dollar range. They retail for over 600.
It just came in today.

Last edited:
He says the 9mm has been approved for MA, but they "have not had any
in production yet and no clue when that will be." $499

Thanks. I talked to Four Seasons, and they quoted me something around $480 for the 9mm, when they come out.

Zero Hour Arms has one in .40 NIB price should be around high 400dollar range. They retail for over 600.
It just came in today.

Yeah, FS has had the .40s for a while now - I think they're going for $480 as well. Not that I have anything against Zero Hour - in my book, they rock, but they're just too damn far away for me to visit frequently. Besides, they have too many good toys - it's too easy to walk in for a $15 box of ammo and walk out with a $1500 AR.

I just put a deposit down on a .40 M&P this morning at FS, all the in stock M&P's have already been sold. Not sure when the next batch is arriving.

I have the feeling my P99 .40 is now an obsolete, un-sellable POS. Guess I'm keeping it.
... Your P99 .40 has a better stock trigger then the out of the box triggers on M&Ps even outside of MA. The only problem with your P99 is that it is chambered in .40 ;-) The P99 AS trigger is fantastic...

m&p

got to hold one of these tonight, down at zha.
they were trying to get the key out of the grip to take it down
the guys kept going for the tools, marco didn't seem to amused
nice looking gun, but if it's that much of a pita, not sure it's worth it
they have the 40 think the price w $500.00

gary

Back
Top Bottom