Smith M&P

Just called FS after noticing that the M&P has made the approved firearms roster list for October. Call taker informed me that they're waiting on a shipment of M&Ps. Caller also volunteered that as soon as they're approved (I'm assuming by the AGs office) the shipment is inbound. Apparently they've been waiting about a month for approval.

Has anyone yet seen the M&P compact? Its featured in the December edition of shooting times. Looks sweet.

How much should we expect these to sell for?

Dammit, I just bought a G22 today!!! (No regrets, I just try to stick to no more than 2 handguns a month)

I got mine last week, put 150 rounds through it and liked it to a point. It fit my hand and had a natural point of aim for me but the trigger had a real different feel to it. I could live with it, but decided not to so it went to Dan Burwell for a trigger job, fiber optic front sight, and his "Shark" grip treatment. (I like skateboard tape so this should be good).

Well, I should have it back Tuesday then I plan to shoot it at Bass River Next Sunday. Holster and mag holders are already here from Talon Tactical and I am collecting mags.

JonJ gets a test drive soon [smile]

BURWELL CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
Regards,

Last edited:
I got mine last week, out 150 rounds through it and liked it to a point. It fit my hand and had a natural point of aim for me but the trigger had a real different feel to it. I could live with it, but decided not to so it went to Dan Burwell for a trigger job, fiber optic front sight, and his "Shark" grip treatment. (I like skateboard tape so this should be good).

Regards,

RGS- could you describe the trigger feel?

RGS- could you describe the trigger feel?

First, you need to realize I am primarily a revolver shooter with my second choice being 1911. My revolvers use a 6-7# DA and my 1911 holds 3.5# and breaks at 4#.

That said, the take up was long, pull a little heavy for my semi auto taste, and reset a little long. Please do not infer I was unhappy as I was not. I just wanted better.

Having read on the M&P forum of Dan's work, I decided to try him out before his work load got too much and his prices went up. $50 for a trigger job on anything is down right cheap. With the MA mandated 10# trigger, he will be overwhelmed soon.

I had him hold off shipping back until Monday so it would not sit at UPS over the weekend. He is shipping Monday with a Tuesday Delivery.

All for now,

Remenber when the mp comes available its NOT the same gun as the rest of the free world has because of the MA. required 10 lb. trigger. The msrp. on SW site is 624$$.I guess it will run about 500.

Remenber when the mp comes available its NOT the same gun as the rest of the free world has because of the MA. required 10 lb. trigger. The msrp. on SW site is 624$$.I guess it will run about 500.

That's riduculous for a trigger. Sigs have 10.5 on the DA/SA first shot which I can live with. My Glocks have 5.5. 10.5 on every shot has got to suck.

RGS I hope yours comes back the way you like it!

I can't imagine it's going to be all that much different from the normal
commercial market gun. The only differences from the regular civvy gun is packing
with crippled mags and the overweight trigger, which can probably easily
be remedied by a spring/part swapout. The only death bell on these guns in MA
is no preban mags, which makes the 9mm version worthless, unless it takes sigma prebans or
something. (Anyone know if this is true? I got the impression that the M+P takes
different mags, but could be wrong)

-Mike

Last edited:
Anyone know if the compact model will be available to the subjects of MA?

Since the compact version was just been introduced to the market, it will be a long time until S&W makes a Mass compliant version, and then submits it to be tested. It will probably be at least a year or maybe longer before we see the compact version in Mass.

I got mine a few months ago. Great shooting gun,no issues. Mine lacks the mag disconect ,key lock and 10lb trigger pull. Trigger is very similiar to a Glocks in Feel. eliminating the Mag release is very easy to do, as is losing the key lock set up. Midway is selling complete searblocks and other M/p parts. I am probably going to buy another when they become compliant and just remove all of the AG mandated B.S features. I think this would be easier then getting my Chief to sign another letter. I know that Smith was going to dicontinue selling the Key lock set up on the L/E guns because there is no easy way to tell if the gun is locked or unlocked.

{SNIP}I know that Smith was going to dicontinue selling the Key lock set up on the L/E guns because there is no easy way to tell if the gun is locked or unlocked.

Check the SKUs on the web site. They already offer it less lock which is how I bought mine,

Here they are for the 40S&W:

.40 S&W M&P Pistols
209000: 15 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
109000: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
209200: 15 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
109200: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
209300: 17 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
109300: 10 Rd, Std Sights, 2 Mags: $624.00
209400: 15 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $728.00
109400: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Int Lock, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $728.00
209600: 15 Rd, Mag Safety, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $728.00
109600: 10 Rd, Mag Safety, Night Sights, 2 Mags: $728.00

You know, when I saw these in magazines, I had to wonder. You think MA will say that they are for M&P USE only? It makes the step easier for them to name it that way, don't you think?

You know, when I saw these in magazines, I had to wonder. You think MA will say that they are for M&P USE only? It makes the step easier for them to name it that way, don't you think?
Except the M&P line has been around for a while. Only with the introduction of the rifle and these pistols did S&W go on a marketing blitz.

All I can say is I love mine. I saw someone say the trigger was GLOCK-ish, I disagree. I love everything about my GLOCK but I wouldn't say there is much in common between them regarding the trigger. The neutered mag is kind of a bummer but for me isn't a reason not to buy a gun. Size and weight wise it is a total win. This full size pistol from S&W is only slightly larger than my compact GLOCK 19. And I echo what has already been said, some of the compliance features can be take care of once you get the box home. Regarding the MA compliant trigger, I don't see why S&W wouldn't offer that aftermarket either direct or through retailers.

You think MA will say that they are for M&P USE only? It makes the step easier for them to name it that way, don't you think?
Actually, no, I don't think the name makes a darn bit of difference in MA. They meet the regulations or they don't.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Glocks and even their stock triggers, but each of the M&Ps I've tried have stock triggers that are even better!

One more thing: the .40s I've tried shoot like 9mms!

My M&P is back from Burwell. Trigger is a nice crisp 4.5#, reset is fantastic, take up is a little long but that was explained before the work was done.

The Shark treatment is sharp and makes the grip very sticky. Only dry firing right now, but should hit the range tomorrow.

Now, for the service part and a recommendation:

Dan Burwell is a very good business man and an excellent gunsmith. He did what he said he would do and in a very reasonable time frame (one week from when I shipped to when I got it back) His communication is excellent. He e mails with any ideas, problems, recommendations. It is nice to deal with a professional.

Anyone looking to have work done, can do it with no reservations. He stands behind the work.

Limited Division here I come

regards,

Back
Top Bottom