Smith M&P

Close, but no cigar. The testing MUST be done at one of the few labs Mass. approved for that purpose.

Test results go DIRECTLY to GCAB.

It reviews tests from the labs and Functional Design Equivalent reports; those approved are sent to EOPS for inclusion on the roster.

That's about it.

Jeesh Scriv. Do you ever turn off the attorney mode? [wink]

And to keep on topic, I've said it before and I'll say it again. When and if the S&W M&P is available to me in .45ACP format, I will buy one. Not before.

So how about that M&P????
As said before, two models of the M&P are on the roster. More will be on upcoming rosters. Therefore, if S&W builds those compliant models (and the AG doesn't object), then they can be sold in MA. As to why they are not currently being sold, best to ask S&W.

So how about that M&P????

Can we say Thread drift???

Has it passed any and or all tests?
Has it been approved?
Has it been approved again by the AG?
Has it been sold yet?

As said before, two models of the M&P are on the roster. More will be on upcoming rosters. Therefore, if S&W builds those compliant models (and the AG doesn't object), then they can be sold in MA. As to why they are not currently being sold, best to ask S&W.

I guess that answers my questions up to here. So, if one exists and is on the lists, what IS the holdup?

Has it passed any and or all tests?
Yes. That's the only way it gets on the roster.
Has it been approved?
Yes, that's the only way it gets on the roster.
Has it been approved again by the AG?
Once more, with feeling. The AG NEVER approves guns. The AG doesn't tell manufacturers that their gun meets the regulations. If the AG feels the gun doesn't meet the AG's requirements, AFTER the gun begins to be sold, the AG then goes after the dealer and/or manufacturer. At least, that has been the AG's behavior in the past.
Has it been sold yet?
I'm not aware of any other than LEO sales, but that doesn't mean it hasn't -- I'm not in touch with all the gun stores in MA.
So, if one exists and is on the lists, what IS the holdup?
As I posted above, only S&W knows. Call them.

So, if one exists and is on the lists, what IS the holdup?
As I posted above, only S&W knows. Call them.

Not necessarily. The gun may be all ready to go as far as S&W knows, but dealers may still be skittish about the AG. After all, it's they, not the buyer, not S&W that would pay the price.

Ken

Yesterday while at FS I asked one of the guys about an ETA for the M&P. He said that FS has called S&W so many times asking the same that they were last told that when the pistols are ready, S&W will call FS to let THEM know. LOL.

Yesterday while at FS I asked one of the guys about an ETA for the M&P. He said that FS has called S&W so many times asking the same that they were last told that when the pistols are ready, S&W will call FS to let THEM know. LOL.

After shooting the Glock and the M&P I prefer the M&P - since the M&P is unavailable to us civilians at the moment it looks like my first purchase will be a Glock, although I am going to look at some of the S&W semi-autos too before deciding. All is not lost however - if and and when the M&P is approved and being sold it will just give me an excuse to buy another gun! [smile]

There is a mass compliant model that is available for sale in Mass, however S&W just needs to begin crankin them out so everyone can buy them. But there is difficulty since they are a tad bit different than the everywhere-but-Mass version, thus having to change the manufacturing specs casues a delay. Soon. Hopefully before the shotguns!

I think the M&P will be a big seller. It really is a competitive gun (finally!) that gives Glock a run for its money.

I think the compact may be a big seller, but with a 10lb MA trigger and a 10 round mag (in a full size pistol), I don't see how the M&P full size pistol can compete with their Glock 9mm and .40 counterparts as carry weapons. Maybe as range guns I guess.

I think I'd be a lot more fired-up for the release of these pistols if I lived outside MA - heavy triggers and crippled mags just don't get me very excited.
Who wants to buy a brand new pistol only to have to spend time and/$ to "fix" the new triggers and unlike Glocks, there will never be "pre-ban" mags for these guys.

I wonder why the manufacturers don't attempt to fix these unfair business practices. Who in the state can people or companies turn to for this?

I think the compact may be a big seller, but with a 10lb MA trigger and a 10 round mag (in a full size pistol), I don't see how the M&P full size pistol can compete with their Glock 9mm and .40 counterparts as carry weapons. Maybe as range guns I guess.
Unless S&W changes the design of the MA gun (there has been some speculation about this), the trigger pull can be easily reduced to a more manageable level. Round Gun Shooter had a gunsmith change his to 3 1/2 lbs at a cost of less than $100. The crippled mags is an issue...
I wonder why the manufacturers don't attempt to fix these unfair business practices. Who in the state can people or companies turn to for this?
As discussed previously, the manufacturers filed suit and lost. Then they dropped the ball and did not appeal the suit during the time allowed. Perhaps the attorneys on the list can tell us if there is still a legal avenue available to the manufacturers. Given that MA judges are very, very liberal and anti-gun, my guess is that even if there was a path of litigation that might be promising, the legal cost isn't justified by the size of the market and the poor likelihood of a positive outcome.

The only real way to change this is through legislation. GOAL will be filing legislation in January. Given that most MA legislators and the incoming governor are anti-gun, it will be an uphill fight. Watch the GOAL message for details of the legislation they are filing. Call up GOAL and ask them how you can help.

I guess I should have put in the (-: for that previous post.

BUT, since then, what about the "Protection
of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, which Congress passed in 2005"? Did that change anything? I see it has been challenged: http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/16108593.htm

S397 has nothing to do with stupid things like the AG's regs, etc. It was
a hack designed to keep gun manufacturers from getting sued with
frivolous lawsuits. EG, when mary hairnets son gets killed by a
beretta wielded by one of his thug buddies, mary hairnet's lawsuit
against beretta would be blocked by it. It doesn't seem to be panning out
all that well, so far, as the article indicates.

-Mike

Last edited:
I notice that Tackle Unlimited has list on GunsAmerica the SW mp Mass compliant for public sale with 10 rd. mags.

Back
Top Bottom