So Everytown Just Published a Map for all US FFL Home Addresses

The FFL address for the shop. Not the listed "Home" address
Not quite. See below.
I thought the list on the ATF site has the home address too. Listed as Mail address vs. the Premise (business) address that is also listed?
Generally, this is correct. Also, for kitchen table FFLs, their home is the "premises." There are, in my understanding, ways to obscure your home/mailing address, but it takes extra effort.

Making it a searchable map seems less about the public info aspect than it is about making this look like something to scare normies: "Know who else is on a publicly searchable map? Sex offenders."

Not quite. See below.
Generally, this is correct. Also, for kitchen table FFLs, their home is the "premises." There are, in my understanding, ways to obscure your home/mailing address, but it takes extra effort.
Making it a searchable map seems less about the public info aspect than it is about making this look like something to scare normies: "Know who else is on a publicly searchable map? Sex offenders."
The public list of FFLs from the ATF website is old news; for many licensees there are two addresses, one the premises, the other the license holder.

I doubt Everytown successfully did a FOIA to get some extra data not included in the public spreadsheets. All they've done is build a scary map.

This is apparently a nothingburger, but what's scary is how easily this administration - or any administration - could publish or leak gun owners' personal data and ignite a true shitstorm.

Not quite. See below.

They're trying to incite incels into swatting or attacking the business owners, at home in their sleep.

It is TRIVIAL to take a random FFL, look up the holder's name and background search them. You will probably find them with no trouble. Or take the business name and look up the town's business license, the state level licenses, corporate filings, etc. Sooner or later you'll find a name and home address.

The only reason to do that legwork is to encourage offenders to harass these businesses, even at home. It's literally an attempt to create horrific "newsworthy" events.

There are crazy people on both sides.

The gun owners have guns though.

I’d hate to make enemies no matter what side I was on.

I think this map will incite a nutty gun owner to murder an unarmed anti activist than cause a FFL be killed by an anti at home.

Put yourself in the shoes of a person wanting to invade a FFL. I’d sh*t a brick before breaking into that place.

Isn't this info publicly available on the ATF's website?
Yes and has been as a csv dump for at least a decade.

Also if you read between the lines there are a bunch of ways to avoid having your home address show up in this database.

Back
Top Bottom