So I wanna get into reloading...

Where do I start? Do I find someone that already knows and stand over their shoulder? Is there a special book? Can you tell I am new at this?[laugh]

I would probably reload .357, .223, .40, .308

Start by reviewing several other threads in this forum that asks the same question. Then, anything you don't fully understand, or need more definition on can be answered more specifically here.

Where do I start? Do I find someone that already knows and stand over their shoulder?

If you can, YES. Failing that, buy or borrow the Dillon video on the 550, just to familiarize yourself with the basics.

Is there a special book? Can you tell I am new at this?

Yes and Yes. I saw one such book at Northeast Trading Wednesday. The Lyman book is also a good place to start, especially if you plan to load cast bullets, which is what Lyman gives data for.

I would skip Speer for now, unless you plan to load its jacketed bullets, because that's about all its book gives data for.

NEVER rely on just one manual; double-check everything. I have 3 different makers' manuals, plus load data obtained from propellant manufacturers' sites and a USPSA shooter's site.

NOTE: If you buy a basic reloading kit you will save money AND get a manual with it.

Take a couple of hours and go up to Rileys in Hookset NH exit 9n off 93. Talk to the owner orr Dave and tell them your new. They usually run a basic course during the winter for new reloaders and if you attend you get a discount for 1 purchase after. He asks some trivia questions during the class and you get some good prizes. The owner will set you up with good used packages of equip if you don't need new. Good Luck Jim

Why go to NH from Taunton?

Northeast Trading is MUCH closer; it's a Dillon dealer, has some reloading books and Ted or Denny can show you the progressives (1050's and 650's, IIRC) in action.

Why go to NH from Taunton?

Northeast Trading is MUCH closer; it's a Dillon dealer, has some reloading books and Ted or Denny can show you the progressives (1050's and 650's, IIRC) in action.

I agree. I started with a Lyman turret press and very quickly moved on to a Dillon RL 300. If you are reloading pistol ammo, a Dillon RL 550 B is the ideal machine. This machine is simple enough for a beginner to use and can produce 400 rounds per hour. It also has the added advantages of using standard reloading dies and the capability of loading rifle ammo.

I've been reloading for about a month now. Five or six hundred rounds of .45ACP later and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I'm shooting more accurately, more often, and for less money. I went with the 550. Get one.

There's a book called The ABCs of Reloading that should be the first thing you read before you buy any equipment.

I have not yet started reloading or purchased any equipment, but I did pick up this book and will say that the amount of info in it is amazing. I learned a ton of things I never knew on my first browse through and I am slowly going back over it more meticulously while deciding whether or not to take the leap and start reloading.

Solid tip EC

KTP runs seminars from time to time on reloading. Check on their website as they may give an indiction when the next one is scheduled.

Get a Dillon 550B, an electronic scale, a dial caliper,

ABCs of Reloading (early eds by Dean Grinnell are better), Lyman 48th, etc.

The buzzer type primer tube loading tool by Frankford Ars from MidwayUSA is great for $33.

A six-pack set of case gauges, also from MidwayUSA, is a must to have.

From what I've read, there a many benefits to reloading, but I wanted to know exactly what the cost savings is for reloading .40 S&W or 9mm?

thanks

Sorry for not searching correctly. I've found more pricing information... Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom