• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Someone breaks in - Do you yell that you're armed or not?

I've always thought yelling, "Is that some man-meat for me to a##-f#)@??? Cuz I'm horny. Let's go!!!! WOOO!!!!" would be effective. Most guys are so masculinely insecure as to run their afraid-they-are-gay asses right out the door.

Were you involved in the movie "Deliverance"???

:)

I'd be more concerned about being able to put up the $$$ for criminal defense in MA, if there's something that isn't a ripoff then go for it. Be aware a lot of those things have limitations and caveats, though. Some are better than others. If you do some searching you can find previous threads on this topic.
That is the great thing about Florida and their "stand your ground" law.

The short version is as long as you are in a place you have a legal right to be, and you did not instigate the problem, the State is legally precluded from charging you for a self defense shooting.

That being said there have been some questionable uses of lethal force I have not agreed with, someone knocking on your door is not IMHO a valid reason to open the door, display a weapon, and chase the person down the street while shooting them.

In general, I’d say probably not announce, but there may be some specific situations when it may be a good idea. Things like being able to see them on security cams, knowing or not knowing if they are armed, or knowing who they are and/or why they are there can play a role. I’d rather not have to shoot someone if I can avoid it and there could be situations where telling them you are armed and to leave could both give them another chance to leave without increasing risk to yourself. If it doesn’t do both those things, I’m not telling.

While personally I’d like it that if someone who isn’t suppose to be in your house and knows it, is in or is trying to break into your home, that you should be able to do anything you choose to them. But the law sadly doesn’t work that way.

I would do just the opposite. Let them know you are armed and that you have called the police and they are on the way. When you are being sued for killing/maiming the guy that broke into your house (and you will) you will be questioned by the dead guy's families' lawyer. He will ask you if you did everything reasonable to prevent his client from being dead/wounded. If you did not do everything possible, he will exploit that to the jury, and may be able to convince them that you have some culpability. Obviously other factors can negate that.

Dave
What if you just say you did all that even if you didn't. Are you good then?

In general, I’d say probably not announce, but there may be some specific situations when it may be a good idea. Things like being able to see them on security cams, knowing or not knowing if they are armed, or knowing who they are and/or why they are there can play a role. I’d rather not have to shoot someone if I can avoid it and there could be situations where telling them you are armed and to leave could both give them another chance to leave without increasing risk to yourself. If it doesn’t do both those things, I’m not telling.

While personally I’d like it that if someone who isn’t suppose to be in your house and knows it, is in or is trying to break into your home, that you should be able to do anything you choose to them. But the law sadly doesn’t work that way.
it does in Florida
776.013 Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—
(1) A person who is in a dwelling or residence in which the person has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use or threaten to use:
(a) Nondeadly force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force; or
(b) Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.
(2) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using or threatening to use defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used or threatened was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
(3) The presumption set forth in subsection (2) does not apply if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or
(b) The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened; or
(c) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force is engaged in a criminal activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further a criminal activity; or
(d) The person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using or threatening to use force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.
(4) A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
(5) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Dwelling” means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.
(b) “Residence” means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.
(c) “Vehicle” means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property

it does in Florida
776.013 Home protection; use or threatened use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.—
(1) A person who is in a dwelling or residence in which the person has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and use or threaten to use:
(a) Nondeadly force against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force; or
(b) Deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony.
(2) A person is presumed to have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another when using or threatening to use defensive force that is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to another if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force was used or threatened was in the process of unlawfully and forcefully entering, or had unlawfully and forcibly entered, a dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle, or if that person had removed or was attempting to remove another against that person’s will from the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle; and
(b) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry or unlawful and forcible act was occurring or had occurred.
(3) The presumption set forth in subsection (2) does not apply if:
(a) The person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or
(b) The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened; or
(c) The person who uses or threatens to use defensive force is engaged in a criminal activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further a criminal activity; or
(d) The person against whom the defensive force is used or threatened is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using or threatening to use force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.
(4) A person who unlawfully and by force enters or attempts to enter a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle is presumed to be doing so with the intent to commit an unlawful act involving force or violence.
(5) As used in this section, the term:
(a) “Dwelling” means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night.
(b) “Residence” means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.
(c) “Vehicle” means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is designed to transport people or property

I don’t think the law allows you to tie them up in your basement and make them your slave. 🤷‍♂️

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxy2hbnC-k

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlWlxbSwGk

Last edited:
"Anything you say or do(in this thread) can and will be used against you in a court of law" to prove intent and motive

I practice shouting, "hey a**h***, drop it!" and thats the whole story

Mrs. Pipes now rolls her eyes when she sees someone in a movie/tv show, shooting inside a closed car or small room and not becoming instantly deaf.

Not because she knows one doesn't SHOOT inside a small, confined space, but because she knows I'll be piping up in a moment with a comment to that effect.
That's what cost me 40% hearing loss in one ear and my own personal dial tone.
Don't do dat.

How does one know if an intruder is not armed?

Serious question!

Back
Top Bottom