• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Springfield XDm 45

Where there once was a man in the mountain
It looks like Springfield has the XDm 45acp available finally.

Some vendors are allowing pre-orders now. I also see it listed on Davidsons.

For those that want to know, it's 13+1 rounds of 45 ACP, but in a 4.5 inch barrel with the XDm grip. It seems to accept standard XD magazines. There is a black and bi-tone version available, and there seems to also be a version available with tritium nite sites.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/

specs:
http://xdguys.com/shoppingcart/Multimedia/45Release.pdf

If I could quit my job, I just might. But alas, Stuck in the uncommonwealth of mass confusion. Thanks for the link though, I can drool at the pictures haha

Yeah, it seems a lot of people are excited about XDm .45ACP, but I do not understand why. Can someone please educate me? I do not mean to start XDm vs. Glock vs. H&K vs. etc., war, but on paper I do not see anything revolutionary. For instance:

XDm
Length 7.7
Height 5.75
Weight 31oz
Capacity 13+1

Glock
Length 7.59
Height 5.47
Weight 26.28oz
Capacity 13+1

Consequently, Glock is smaller, lighter, slimmer, with longer barrel and has the same capacity as XDm. So I see nothing to be excited about. At first I thought it was due to ergonomics, but after shooting 9mm XDm I realized that ergonomics on my P99 are far superior (granted this might just be my hands and personal preferences). As a full disclosure, I am predominantly a 9mm guy. My list of priorities 1) reliability; 2) weight; 3) capacity; 4) size (this would be #3 in a carry gun); and 5) multitude of other factors such as ergonomics, aftermarket, etc.

Again, I am not saying G is better than XD or anything like that. All I am saying, “This looks to be an average 45. Why would anyone move or even be overly excited about it”? If I am missing something – please educate. Thanks.

Maybe the fact that it doesn't explode in your hand is what makes it superior to a Glock. And the fact that Springfield will add any number of options to it at the factory. They also have the shortest trigger pull and reset of any polymer pistol on the market, and they also have several different backstraps that are interchangeable to customize the pistol to your hand.

Just a better pistol I guess. Something for those who think outside the Glocks?

And if you want 9mm capacity, than the 19+1 XDm should fit the bill.

Maybe the fact that it doesn't explode in your hand is what makes it superior to a Glock.

not_this_shit_again.jpg

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/141766-another-xd-horror-story.html

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/148597-kaboom-pictures.html

i own two glocks and an XD 9.... so don't confuse me with a "fanboy" of either

Maybe the fact that it doesn't explode in your hand is what makes it superior to a Glock. And the fact that Springfield will add any number of options to it at the factory. They also have the shortest trigger pull and reset of any polymer pistol on the market, and they also have several different backstraps that are interchangeable to customize the pistol to your hand.

Just a better pistol I guess. Something for those who think outside the Glocks?

And if you want 9mm capacity, than the 19+1 XDm should fit the bill.

I do not own Glock. So I do not have a horse in this race, nor am I a Glock nut.

Catastrophic failure is possible in any product. Any gun can “explode”, if for no other reason than a squib load + operators error. Having said that, if you have some facts about Glock flaw that make them prone to exploding or some statistics that show high rate of failure, please share. As a public service please let us know how, why, and when do they explode? Also do all Glock explode or just those in .45 ACP? I would really like to know this, if for no other reason than to stay away from Glock owners on the firing line. I do not think my family will appreciate if I come home one day with the face full of Glock shrapnel.

Thanks.

I do not own Glock. So I do not have a horse in this race, nor am I a Glock nut.

Catastrophic failure is possible in any product. Any gun can “explode”, if for no other reason than a squib load + operators error. Having said that, if you have some facts about Glock flaw that make them prone to exploding or some statistics that show high rate of failure, please share. As a public service please let us know how, why, and when do they explode? Also do all Glock explode or just those in .45 ACP? I would really like to know this, if for no other reason than to stay away from Glock owners on the firing line. I do not think my family will appreciate if I come home one day with the face full of Glock shrapnel.

Thanks.

the list of things you need to worry about puts exploding glocks slightly above running out of water during a rainstorm.

Thanks.

Some of the people in this thread really need to lighten up....

"It's a Joke, son!!!"

foghorn.jpg

Buy a Glock, don't buy one... I sure as hell don't care. [laugh] (I own several).

Glocks explode. XDs are junk (crap finish, crappy beavertail safety on a striker fired gun) and about 50% of 1911s are pure crap. There, I did it... now with all the oxes gored... [laugh]

-Mike

[rofl] I thought my sarcasm was obvious. But I guess not. Next time I’ll place smiley faces so it’s easier to grasp. Kind of like sitcoms – how would you know it’s funny without hearing the audience laugh? [laugh]

[rofl] I thought my sarcasm was obvious. But I guess not. Next time I’ll place smiley faces so it’s easier to grasp. Kind of like sitcoms – how would you know it’s funny without hearing the audience laugh? [laugh]

Yes, I did catch it.... I just chose to quote your post for graphic effect more than anything else. [laugh]

-Mike

No sweat Mike. I was 99.9% sure you got it. I just wanted to confirm for bostonasphalt2 know that I was just playing. [thumbsup]

Actually, in my original post, I thought of using lines like –“Also please let me know if I should be concerned with holstered Glocks or only those that are fired?” but I thought it was laying it too thick. So instead I wrote, “Also do all Glock explode or just those in .45 ACP?” I guess thick sometimes is just right. [wink]

No sweat Mike. I was 99.9% sure you got it. I just wanted to confirm for bostonasphalt2 know that I was just playing. [thumbsup]

Actually, in my original post, I thought of using lines like –“Also please let me know if I should be concerned with holstered Glocks or only those that are fired?” but I thought it was laying it too thick. So instead I wrote, “Also do all Glock explode or just those in .45 ACP?” I guess thick sometimes is just right. [wink]

sorry, its has been a LONG friggin week, and my sarcasm meter needs its fluid topped up. Continue on, after 4 beers, it seems my level check out nicely again [smile]

I got to shoot the XDM .45 this past weekend at the CRNG Springfield Armory shoot. Very nice gun. Shoots no different than the other XDMs, just a .45 that holds 13 rounds +1. I will buy one eventually.

They were selling for $699 special for that day, with 2 mags, loader, holster, mag holster, lifetime warranty.

Ed. I did too, this was the 2nd one I have shot.

The grip is a bit larger (not in width, but a bit larger from front to back) than a standard XDm 9mm or .40, but I don't know how the size will vary if taking the various backstraps into account.

I found one about $60 cheaper at Rileys than "Al's" "This is a GREAT price" at the CRnG Springfield event!!

Note that there is a misconception that the XDm 45 requires special magazines. NOT SO! It uses the same 13 round magazines as the standard XD.

If you think so, ok!

He kept telling me on Saturday as I picked up the XDm 45 to look closer at it:

"This is a truely great price...

You won't be able to beat this price because of the special pricing we have for this event that no one else can touch...

You'll be sorry if you miss out on this price...

No one else has these in stock yet, we're even lucky to have these here at this event".

[rofl]

I stopped in at Rileys on Sunday and they had a few in stock.

I for one am glad I missed his 'special' price, I saved about $60. [thumbsup]

I'm sure if I had shopped around a bit more, I could have found one for less. ;)

He did the same thing to me when I was shopping for an XDm 9. He was almost $100 more than other shops in the area.

I woudln't even have mentioned it if he hadn't gone on and on about his 'special pricing'!

I'm not trying to slam him as I believe everyone should just do their own shopping, and decide what they consider a good price. I do try to support the local gun shops as best I can and not just the big box stores or online pricing.

I was stating for Al, it was a good price. I was disappointed to see later on after more research that his price on the XDM wasnt that great. I am glad I just didnt buy one on impulse right then and there.

He tends to be higher on most things as a whole. I have only ever purchased 1 pistol from him, and the price was great, on that one pistol.

Any chances we see a MA compliant version of the .45 model?

Never. Springfield has not certified a single gun in MA....

That said , they show up from time to time on the secondary market. If you find one, you can still legally buy it, as long as you only possess it with 10 round mags.

-Mike

XDs are junk (crap finish, crappy beavertail safety on a striker fired gun) and about 50% of 1911s are pure crap. There, I did it... now with all the oxes gored... [laugh]

-Mike

Hmmm, wonder why my XDM40 has 2009 handgun of the year etched on it then. Think what you want I guess but I love my XDM

Back
Top Bottom