• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

squib round

So i tried my first batch of 45 230gr hollow points and after about 20 shoots i got a fizzle so i stopped took everything apart and it appears one of the bullets went about 1/4 into the barrel and got stuck so my question is whats the best way to remove it?

I recall hearing that you should push it out from the muzzle towards the breach, is this correct? Or does it not really matter? I would imagine that most squibs would be closer to the breach anyways, so it would be easier.

Had my first one a couple months back. Glad you caught it.
It took a bit more force then I expected to do so but a wooden rod and hammer worked.

a few points to look at:

1) push it the shortest way out. if closer tochamber push it back to chamber.

2) put a drop of gun oil in front and back of bullet to ease the movement.

3) use aluminum or brass rod to tap the bullet out. Don't slam it out. support the breach end on a block of wood or plastic. Plastic rod may work but will not transfer energy as well on impact.

4) Take your time.

As an instructor I've seen this several times. This is very rare in factory loads. mostly happens in reloads. easy to fix.

Hope this helps !

If you use a wooden dowel make sure that the grain is straight. If the grain turns out the side, the dowel can split at that point and jam in the barrel.

How to remove a squib round from your gun.

Part one, bullet gets stuck after fourth shot.
[video=youtube_share;N8WVhVDdItE]http://youtu.be/N8WVhVDdItE[/video]

Part two, removing stuck bullet and moving on.
[video=youtube_share;4lOJ3T4QtW8]http://youtu.be/4lOJ3T4QtW8[/video] [smile]

Part one, bullet gets stuck after fourth shot.
[video=youtube_share;N8WVhVDdItE]http://youtu.be/N8WVhVDdItE[/video]

Part two, removing stuck bullet and moving on.
[video=youtube_share;4lOJ3T4QtW8]http://youtu.be/4lOJ3T4QtW8[/video] [smile]

OK, that was pretty impressive.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The easiest way is to hold the muzzle against the muzzle of a 40sw and fire the squib out

be careful using another round to clear the squib.....here's what happened when my FAL: had a squib and I didn't know it and fired the next round of .308

fal_kb1.jpg

edit to add info:

all that was damaged was the barrel - had the gunsmith replace the barrel and check the FAL out....said it was all OK...He wanted to keep the barrel but I wanted it back as a souvinier...hangs on my workshop wall, as a reminder that when you look down range thru the spotting scope and don't see the hole in the paper you're expecting to see, there may be another reason other than you missed...( like the bullet is still stuck in the barrel...)

Last edited:
Damn! So can it shoot around corners now? That is one of those things I always find myself checking on milsurp guns, its surprising how many have a barrel bulge.
Did any other part of the gun get damaged or just the barrel?

Skip the plastic, it absorbs too much impact. Wood will work but only marginally better. Aluminum or brass are best. Don't use a long piece, cut the piece about 1.5 inches longer than the depth of the lodged bullet. Too long, the rod will tend to bend.

A 3/8ths rod should work well.

Push it the shortest distance and wear a gloved hand holding the rod and support the barrel end on a piece of hardwood. End grain works best.

Glad you caught the squibb, most people blow their gun up beacause they don't realize what just happened and act accordingly.

be careful using another round to clear the squib.....here's what happened when my FAL: had a squib and I didn't know it and fired the next round of .308

View attachment 22994

That's because you shot in the tip of one into the back of the other when they are the same caliber. That's wrong and gay

you need to use a smaller caliber and shoot it out in the other direction.

The important thing is to make sure the barrels a precisely lined up. I do this by looking straight into the barrel as I shoot the squib out

That's because you shot in the tip of one into the back of the other when they are the same caliber. That's wrong and gay

you need to use a smaller caliber and shoot it out in the other direction.

The important thing is to make sure the barrels a precisely lined up. I do this by looking straight into the barrel as I shoot the squib out

Or you can just load a blank and fire away.

View attachment 22994

edit to add info:

all that was damaged was the barrel - had the gunsmith replace the barrel and check the FAL out....said it was all OK...He wanted to keep the barrel but I wanted it back as a souvinier...hangs on my workshop wall, as a reminder that when you look down range thru the spotting scope and don't see the hole in the paper you're expecting to see, there may be another reason other than you missed...( like the bullet is still stuck in the barrel...)
That's a speed hole, keep shooting...

Back
Top Bottom