Steel targets from a NES member!

... I received this set up from Matt the other day and my UPS guys was NOT happy lugging the 65lb box up to my house [grin]

Heh. Yep.

...I plan to wear out a set of plates with 45ACP and 9mm pistols later this week and will post some pictures of the results....

Wear out?

I don't know. But you'll sure have fun trying!

Wow. I really like the dueling design. Beyond cutting the plates, that's even something I could make. :)

Im always looking for new toys, and they may not even be guns! But they are typically gun related in any case...

I recently purchased some swinging steel targets from a member on our board [cerberus]. I saw his ad for some 22 targets in the classifieds and figured i would inquire. Lo and behold Matt had a few 22 targets still on hand, i was excited to get my hands on one. After some words i also inquired about a target for centerfire pistol use, in which he had some great plans and a good idea about what he wanted to do. i said "ill take one of each".

after paying the man true to his word they both showed up within a week. The rimfire is a one piece spinning type, while the centerfire comes in many pieces to be assembled by the end user. The CT comes with all the necessary hardware for assembly, as well as the tubes for the frame and the targets themselves. It was very easy to put together using stainless hardware and wing-nuts for quick dissasembly if one needed a fast take down.

I can honestly say after some testing i am very pleased with both targets made by Matt. Despite his recommendation against hitting it with too many magnums or 10mm i set out with my 686 smith and beat on it a bit along with my M&P 45, only to find that the targets held up fine!

I will post some pictures tomorrow if i can of them, i forgot my camera at home.

If you have interest in them please contact [cerberus] for pricing and time frame, Matt is wonderful to do business with.

Dom

Last week I saw Matt's add, and said what the heck....why not buy from an NESer. I needed another couple targets for shooting 22s. Never did I expect Matt to respond so quickly and got them 4 days later...sent over the Christmas holiday. WOW.

So I got them on Friday, and spent Saturday and Sunday at my property in PA with my family and kids, as well as my Brother's family shooting the heck out of them. All I can say is that the quality was exceptional, and they worked wonderfully.

Now I need to get some big boy ones....did not know you also made them Matt. Send me a PM with the price, as well as the dueling tree one too please.

Guys....if you have property or a place to use these, get them!!!

THANK YOU MATT.

Jim

I got some steel and started building the prototype dueling tree target today, hoping to have it finished tomorrow.

248792_689048065410_1364839603_n.jpg

868_689048050440_385810585_n.jpg

How do you plan on keeping the target from swinging back (on the tree) after it is hit??

That was a before its finished shot. I have since welded the round tube to a 3/8" thick piece of angle iron that will face forward and provide the support for the swingers, and their hinge plates.

Tree_Back_zps00d6c4a8.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the finished product. This is what I have been waiting for. I might just have to buy one of these.

You should like it, so far I am pretty happy with how it is going. I plan on mocking it up and testing it out with plain steel plates, but will be selling these with ar500 plates if I can get 4 or 5 deposits.

Are you planning on a .22 version. Will a .22 reliably swing these plates, or do you need to make lighter plates for that? I remember you talked about possibly needing to make two different versions, several months ago.

I had some delays yesterday, and a redesign but today I made some good progress. I have some grinding to do, but I am going to start shooting it tomorrow. Right now it is just plain steel plates because it is what I have on hand.

740288_689383747700_1052521621_o.jpg

Those are just plain steel, it was what I have on hand. This is for me to check my design and see if it will operate without binding. That is why its not painted, or the edges cleaned up.

The center post is 3/8" angle, and the paddles will be 3/8" steel. I am not sure what the center post will do with rifle fire, but 45 FMJ at about 20 yards barley scratched it. I know the action target center post is not ar500, just the paddles. I assume that there will be dents caused if it takes a direct hit. The biggest handgun I have is .44 mag, and that will dent the paddles slightly, and should glance off the center post. I will hit it again and get some photos for you.

You are correct. The Action Target is not AR500 in the center or even the feet. Just the paddles are the AR500.

What were you thinking at on price on these?? Yours I noticed were also 8 paddles. Action target like Hickok45, is only 6.

If you don't want to post price here, send me a PM. Pending price, I am definitely interested. I have been wanting one of these for 2 years.

So I have been shooting at it (And missing it guess I am rusty) and I broke down and added some grease today, and threw some paint on it. It seems to be working pretty well. I did not put enough angle on it so I have some extra would under the legs. All future ones will have a lot more angle to help the swing.

[video=youtube_share;sZ59v5DJ_Eg]http://youtu.be/sZ59v5DJ_Eg[/video]

Thanks for all the good words. I really like to make quality items that people will enjoy and use for a long time.

I spent the day making some parts for another center fire dual swinger. I got some new pins in as an upgrade to the bolts and this person chose to upgrade to them.

IMG_8717_zpseff9f816.jpg

Back
Top Bottom