Storage for reloading supplies

Ok- so I've now got my permit to store more ammo and other goodies. I'm looking for a sturdy cabinet to store powder, primers, bullets and ammo. I'd like a metal cabinet with sturdy drawers- but not so tight and thick that it won't allow the powders to "burn" in the event of a fire. The permit says I need to follow appropriate DOT guidlines... but not so clear on just what that is yet.

Any good places to get these? I don't want to keep these items in a safe.

Why metal? Try Rubber maid

7083-charcoal-mica-1_sm.jpg

They don't rust.

A buddy of mine uses an old (unplugged) refrigerator - he explained that it's insulated and if in the event of a fire the door would blow open. Gun powder in a closed tight cabinet is not a good thing in an explosion.

I've been looking for a small, used, clean dorm sized refrige.

Goodluck.

RGS, better check the CMRs . . . I think they are posted here in an old sticky.

IIRC, ammo, powder, primers have to be secured in an enclosure of a certain minimum thickness . . . rather substantial IIRC.

IIRC, ammo, powder, primers have to be secured in an enclosure of a certain minimum thickness . . . rather substantial IIRC.

I've been looking up some of this. I think a thick walled enclosure is required above so many pounds of powder. This stuff is such a PITA to find info on... especially when at work. [rolleyes]

Here it is Len:

(e) Smokeless propellants shall be stored in original shipping containers specified by U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations.
(f) Smokeless propellants intended for private use in quantities not exceeding 48 lbs stored in residences shall be kept in the original manufacturers container or in a wooden box or cabinet having wooden walls of at least one-inch nominal thickness. All smokeless propellants stored in private residences shall be stored in the original containers; such containers shall be secured in a locked cabinet, closet, or box when not in use.

Plastic cabinet works just fine in residential storage.

Permit?

Whats the Permit? for? are you running a commercial reloading business?

I use an old wooden dresser for storing ammo & reloading stuff in the basement. I have seen some reloader presses bolted down on workbenchs/dressers but I made a plywood mounting board for mine with trim boards all around to catch loose primers, bb's and powder when the charge bar misses its hole (happens every once in a while).

You can pick up old dressers for free in the classifieds and at the dump.

Back
Top Bottom