• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sununu warns of urban flight; NH to get Vermonted by New Yorkers

I am up in Oxford County Maine - 45 min Northeast of Fryeburg/North Conway. I have owned our camp/house for 10 yrs and New Yorkers are now the new renters for the few owners who do it. I just spoke to a resident on the road who is near a family from Brooklyn just came yesterday afternoon for a week (Saturday to Saturday) and would get out of the car because a neighbors dog (all 20lbs of her) was barking at them when they pulled in. They also were concerned a 11 yr old yellow lab was in the yard and dogs should be tied up. Some quick words between the renters and residents and the New Yorkers Grandmother came out and apologized to keep the peace.

House are also selling in a day for full asking price. I have never seen Realestate move so fast here - houses/camps would stay on the market for months or sometimes years. Not anymore...

You miss the point.....

NH isnt a suburb of Boston....only way you make that cognitive failure is if you never get west of amherst or north of concord or north of portsmouth
If going by DMAs:
Boston: Belknap, Cheshire, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Rockingham, Strafford
Portland-Auburn: Carroll, Coös
Burlington-Plattsburgh: Grafton, Sullivan

[grin]

(I just finished work on a project that had my brain in DMAs for the past three months.)

?

Burlington and Plattsburgh are separated by lake champlain.......economically they are virtually isolated from one another except for a dinky ferry that runs in good weather OR a several hour drive AROUND the southern tip of Champlain.....

How NW VT is connected to Grafton and Sullivan counties which are a solid 2 hour drive away is beyond me

Sez Nielsen they are.

I can't wait to get the F out of MA.
I'm going to buy land in NH, build a house on a hilltop surrounded by a moat with a 50 cal position on top.

?

Burlington and Plattsburgh are separated by lake champlain.......economically they are virtually isolated from one another except for a dinky ferry that runs in good weather OR a several hour drive AROUND the southern tip of Champlain.....

How NW VT is connected to Grafton and Sullivan counties which are a solid 2 hour drive away is beyond me

Rinse and repeat on the rest.......the drive to/from boston is butt ugly even from border communities in NH.....128 is a parking lot and 93 and 3 is a hot mess

Yes. there are people who commute back and forth from mass to nh and nh to mass but those populations are mostly limited to border communities.

Coos to Portland is a haul....again no real connection.....Berlin to Portland is over 2.25 hour drive.....and its a ROUGH drive......

WTF was sununu thinking with his "NH is basically a suburb of Boston" comment? Was his imagination lost in his signing of a bill into law permitting flying cars?

Gotta look at the latest, megaregions:

Wait.....NH doesnt have a mask mandate......unless I missed something in flununu's latest decree

Seems to me that he's committing political suicide.....everyone I know is voting testerman in the primary......or has already decided to write her name in in the general

Want to send a real message to sununu?

Write in the LP candidate for gov in the PRIMARY........

I also predict that the GOP is gonna revisit governors emergency powers.......Sununu really has taken leave of his senses

Hobble Sununu and open the door for Comrade Volinsky. That strategy reminds me of something ...

iu

Ball is in his court

If he were do an about face and adopt more of a Gov Noem (SD) approach and respect the NH and US constitutions then he wouldnt be facing a revolution from within his own party

If he were to do that he would probably also get the majority of the 31k LP votes that went to the LP in 2016.....LP candidate got more votes than the margin between Sununu and the dem candidate........

Translation.....the pro liberty voters in this state can and very well MAY decide who the next governor is one way or another.......

Ideological purity is unobtainium. A donk governor is going to issue executive orders that will make pro liberty heads explode. Recent history, granted more at the national level, shows us that GOP legislators as a group will fume but not put a stop to it.

You assume they're able to think ahead, or that they even realize that the problems they're escaping are a product of their own political beliefs.
I think that's it exactly. Human nature being what it is, people tend to think that their the answer and someone else is the problem. I swear they have it in their head that they alone have the solutions to "fix" their newly adopted state before they even cross the border.

Ball is in his court

If he were do an about face and adopt more of a Gov Noem (SD) approach and respect the NH and US constitutions then he wouldnt be facing a revolution from within his own party

If he were to do that he would probably also get the majority of the 31k LP votes that went to the LP in 2016.....LP candidate got more votes than the margin between Sununu and the dem candidate........

Translation.....the pro liberty voters in this state can and very well MAY decide who the next governor is one way or another.......

If he continues to buck the base of his own party its going to go badly not only in November but when he decides to run for US Senate.....because the message he's sending to his own party TODAY is that he CANNOT be trusted not to abuse power......its bad enough that he's doing it as Governor with dems avail and able to check his actions/power in the house/senate if they chose to........its a whole other situation when the base chews down on whether he can be trusted in DC without any checks/balances or recourse

If Sununu continues down the path of "My way or the highway" AND he manages to win the primary......I expect the same thing to happen to him that happened to his brother John after a series of bad votes in 2007/2008 in the US Senate in support of big gov progressive/pork.....recall....he lost to shaheen......and the primary numbers in that race telegraphed to everyone paying attention what was going to happen

Republicans consistently lose elections when they behave like progressives and alienate the base.....

Go ahead, keep pushing this. That's fine, but I would like you to calmly and rationally explain to me how you are going to stop the massive tidal wave of democrat gun bans and confiscations and Massachusetts or New York style licenseing if Volinsky or Feltes is the next governor and they have a democrat legislature? You may disagree with Sununu on Covid but this covid thing is different than anything that has come before it in the past 100 years. There was no script, no plan no way to handle it. Sununu did just fine. And he designated the firearms industry as essential and vetoed all gun control. Do you really believe that gun owners will be better off without Sununu and with Volinsky or Feltes? The libertarian is unelectable, cannot win will not be governor. So do please share your plan of action to save second amendment rights when the democrats control all offices in NH?

You're argument fails any way you slice it

NH has already been thru this shit.....we didnt shut down schools or the state during the 1918 flu pandemic, nor the flu pandemic of the late 50's or 60's....and all of those were far worse than the rona

Covid is just the most recent manifestation of Sununu's failure to abide by the constitutions of the NH and US

We had a partial discussion in previous posts about how without 4A/5A you have no real 2A.....and how his further support/enabling of the use of "civil" process to violate RKBA and other rights is the same stunt that dems are playing.

Now we have his EO from this week declaring no warrant or court orders are required for his covid kopshe to enter your home or business.....

This isnt an issue with people looking for a "purity test"

Its a failure of a republican governor to abide by the constitution and respect the rights of everyone that lives/works, owns property or operates a business in NH

The ball is in Sununu's court

Choice is his to continue to violate the rights of people in NH and behave like a progressive OR look to people like Gov Noem as examples of how Republicans behave and how constitutional gov works

Thats all interesting and unrelated to the Second Amendment and Sununu's perfect record on black and white Second Amendment issues. Please answer the question:

I would like you to calmly and rationally explain to me how you are going to stop the massive tidal wave of democrat gun bans and confiscations and Massachusetts or New York style licenseing if Volinsky or Feltes is the next governor and they have a democrat legislature?

And with respect to Sununu's brother and Jeanne Shaheen... do you really believe that we are better off with Jeanne Shaheen in that seat than John E. Sununu? She has become entrenched and I doubt the eventual winner of the Republican Primary will be able to beat her in November and alas... thanks to libertarian spoilers, New Hampshire becomes more like Massachusetts or New York every 2 years....

Thats where your argument fails though

the 4a/5a. support for unconstitutional ex parte orders, the support for new violations of due process failures and a raft of other problems that Sununu has demonstrated ALL translate to RKBA violations

Ex: Sununu's SUPPORT for SB677 uses the same mechanisms that are abused DAILY in routine divorce proceedings without consequence

If you're not comprehending the problems with Sununu's support for bad legislation then you dont understand how our legal system works

but he vetoed it so whats the problem?

And I would really like an answer to this question:
I would like you to calmly and rationally explain to me how you are going to stop the massive tidal wave of democrat gun bans and confiscations and Massachusetts or New York style licenseing if Volinsky or Feltes is the next governor and they have a democrat legislature?

What is your plan to save New Hampshire from massive gun bans if the democrats take over?

Did you miss post 175(?) where I already provided a response?

That does not answer the question:

and it wasn't just NHFC, Gun Owners of America was very active in fighting all of the bad bills....

Thats the thing though.....no one is looking for ideological purity

the core/base voters do however expect candidates to broadly abide by the party platform and the state/fed constitutions......

Its not just voters.......there are a large number of GOP legislators gnashing teeth/preparing LSR's to fix/eliminate the RSA that a certain lobbyist/former senator/candidate for NH exec council sponsored and managed to get passed in the wake of 9/11.......the consensus seems to be that no governor should have the power that sununu has abused....

Those LSRs will wind up in the ITL or study dustbins without a GOP takeover of both chambers. If Sununu is replaced by Feltes or Comrade Volinsky the threshold goes to veto proof GOP majorities in both chambers to get them into the RSAs. Which combination of GOP power is more likely to be achieved? Taking Sununu down for his mistakes might feel good to the hardcore liberty crowd but the rush will be very short lived and the pain that follows will be epic and long lasting.

By not giving squishy republicans a free pass to violate the same rights.......a little slower than the dems.

Although in THIS case....Sununu has done something that the dems havent even DARE t touch upon......warrantless entry of private property/businesses

And he did it via royal decree......

That sounds nice in theory but if the democrats retain control of the legislature and win the governors race, New Hampshire will have New York style gun control in less than a year. And if you weaken Sununu enough to lose, and a democrat is governor, there is a high liklyhood that other democrats will win on Nov. 3 as well.

And all those things that up set you so very much are not gun issues. Sununu has been perfect on gun issues.

That sounds nice in theory but if the democrats retain control of the legislature and win the governors race, New Hampshire will have New York style gun control in less than a year. And if you weaken Sununu enough to lose, and a democrat is governor, there is a high liklyhood that other democrats will win on Nov. 3 as well.

And all those things that up set you so very much are not gun issues. Sununu has been perfect on gun issues.

I hate to say this, given fraud-by-mail that's likely to happen anyway. @design is there ANY plan to police this? I'm looking at the NY27 special election where in-person had the R ahead by 31 points, but that was almost LOST when the fraud-by-mail was counted. NOBODY to the best of my knowledge is raising a stink, and stinky it sure as hell is.

Those of us that are advocating for Sununu to uphold his oath of office/follow the constitution arent the ones "Weakening" his chances of re-election

He's done that all on his own by CHOOSING to violate the constitution......

He's fueling a revolution within his own party as a result of his actions.....

Now Sununu signs an ILLEGAL/UnCONSTITUTIONAL "Decree" authorizing his "Covid Kopshe" to enter private property without a warrant?

Sununu by his own actions is the one abandoning republicans......not the other way around.

I read the RSAs cited in EO 65. Sununu is on solid ground in that respect. That leaves two options: A court challenge or getting the laws changed. Taking Sununu down for applying the law as written doesn't make sense.

this covid thing is different than anything that has come before it in the past 100 years. There was no script, no plan no way to handle it.
Made me laugh. No script, oh there is a script all right. I dont pay much attention to nh sounds like a typical establishment goper. Suppoert everything the left wants after some minor outrage, push the lefts agenda forward when you think no one will notice.

That depends on the november election.

Smart people have been working hard on regaining a majority in the House.

You think Dems in the house/senate would resist an opportunity to limit the power of a republican governor?

I think such a governor would veto the attempt.

People are raising a stink......problem is that people in charge have their fingers in their ears......
Not as regards that ACTUAL - not theoretical - Special Election that took place in New York a couple months ago. NY27 - Jacobs versus McMurray.

I hate to say this, given fraud-by-mail that's likely to happen anyway. @design is there ANY plan to police this? I'm looking at the NY27 special election where in-person had the R ahead by 31 points, but that was almost LOST when the fraud-by-mail was counted. NOBODY to the best of my knowledge is raising a stink, and stinky it sure as hell is.
Some Republicans are actually democrats but no Democrats are Republicans. Theyre not making a stink because they want vote by mail to happen as well. The Republicans are the Washington Generals of US politics. Content to consistently lose as long as they get paid.

Afraid to say that Trump squeaked by last time vs Hillary but think he'll lose in a landslide to Biden. Not legitimately of course. But theyll keep pulling ballots out of tractor trailers in the right swing states for as long as they have to.

People are raising a stink......problem is that people in charge have their fingers in their ears......

I believe the only way to monitor some of this is to attend what should be a public meeting according to RSA where the "Supervisor of the Checklist" has to review/approve/reject all requests to register by mail

The ballot harvesting/delivery piece of this is what causes me concern

VOTING ABSENTEE (BY MAIL) Request your absentee ballot from your town/city clerk as early as possible. An Absentee Ballot Application can be downloaded from the Secretary of State’s homepage by clicking on “Voting During the COVID-19 State of Emergency. See below for how to obtain your Clerk’s contact information. If you are returning your completed absentee ballot by US Mail, the clerk must receive it by 5:00 p.m. on election day. To increase the likelihood the absentee ballot arrives on time and assist with an expected high volume of absentee ballots, we recommend mailing it at least two weeks before the election. After 5 days, check the Voter Information lookup, Absentee Ballot link, to see if your clerk has received the ballot. Contact your clerk if your ballot has not been received. You may also deliver it to the clerk’s office in-person or by a delivery agent until 5:00 p.m. on the day before the election. A delivery agent may deliver it to the clerk at the polling place until 5 p.m. on election day. Family members, nursing home and elder care facility administrators, and a person assisting a voter with a disability who signs the absentee ballot affidavit (limited to delivering ballots for 4 voters) may be a delivery agent. See RSA 657:17:
RSA 657:17 said:
657:17 Procedure by Voter. –
I. After marking the ballot, the voter or the person assisting a blind voter or voter with a disability who is unable to mark his or her ballot shall enclose and seal the same in an inner envelope. The voter shall execute the affidavit on the envelope. A person assisting a blind voter or voter with a disability who needs assistance executing the affidavit shall sign a statement on the affidavit envelope acknowledging the assistance. The voter or the person assisting the blind voter or voter with a disability who needs assistance shall enclose and seal the inner envelope with the affidavit in an outer envelope. The voter or the person assisting a blind voter or voter with a disability shall then endorse on the outer envelope the voter's name, address, and voting place. The absentee ballot shall be delivered to the city or town clerk from whom it was received in one of the following ways:
(a) The voter or the voter's delivery agent may personally deliver the envelope; or
(b) The voter or the person assisting the blind voter or voter with a disability may mail the envelope to the city or town clerk, with postage affixed.
II. As used in this section, "delivery agent" means:
(a) The voter's spouse, parent, sibling, child, grandchild, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, stepparent, stepchild; or
(b) If the voter is a resident of a nursing home as defined in RSA 151-A:1, IV, the nursing home administrator, licensed pursuant to RSA 151-A:2, or a nursing home staff member designated in writing by the administrator to deliver ballots; or
(c) If the voter is a resident of a residential care facility licensed pursuant to RSA 151:2, I(e) and described in RSA 151:9, VII(a)(1) and (2), the residential care facility administrator, or a residential care facility staff member designated in writing by the administrator to deliver ballots; or
(d) A person assisting a blind voter or a voter with a disability who has signed a statement on the affidavit envelope acknowledging the assistance.
III. The city or town clerk, or ward clerk on election day at the polls, shall not accept an absentee ballot from a delivery agent unless the delivery agent completes a form provided by the secretary of state, which shall be maintained by the city or town clerk, and the delivery agent presents a government-issued photo identification or has his or her identity verified by the city or town clerk. Absentee ballots delivered through the mail or by the voter's delivery agent shall be received by the town, city, or ward clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on the day of the election. A delivery agent who is assisting a voter who is blind or who has a disability pursuant to this section may not personally deliver more than 4 absentee ballots in any election, unless the delivery agent is a nursing home or residential care facility administrator, an administrator designee, or a family member, each as authorized by this section.

The restrictions reduce the fraud potential far below what donks have been advocating/enacting in other states. Highest potential is administrators at nursing/assisted living facilities but unlike antifa activists they have actual jobs on the line.

Some Republicans are actually democrats but no Democrats are Republicans. Theyre not making a stink because they want vote by mail to happen as well. The Republicans are the Washington Generals of US politics. Content to consistently lose as long as they get paid.

Afraid to say that Trump squeaked by last time vs Hillary but think he'll lose in a landslide to Biden. Not legitimately of course. But theyll keep pulling ballots out of tractor trailers in the right swing states for as long as they have to.
The problem is this: in the past, "policy" has waivered a bit, depending on the party in office. Understanding was that control was in flux, therefore prudence dictates, well, prudence.

Those rules are out the window. THEY INTEND TO TAKE IT BY FRAUD AND NEVER GIVE IT UP. I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THAT ENOUGH. If they win in November - and they are not challenged - ALL IS LOST. SERIOUSLY.

We KNOW this because they are no longer hedging about their agenda.

Actually he's not on solid ground by any means......

The RSA granting him emergency powers isnt constitutional

You cant grant enumerated powers via RSA

That requires a constitutional amendment......tons of precident for this.....look no further than the NH constitutions section on Exec Powers

Furthermore there's the issue of what constitutes an emergency........17 people having positive rona tests and no fatalities yesterday doesnt fit.........

We're experiencing more injuries and fatalities from automobile accidents at this point........

Court challenge or LSR - we're not going to change anything here.

The problem is this: in the past, "policy" has waivered a bit, depending on the party in office. Understanding was that control was in flux, therefore prudence dictates, well, prudence.

Those rules are out the window. THEY INTEND TO TAKE IT BY FRAUD AND NEVER GIVE IT UP. I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THAT ENOUGH. If they win in November - and they are not challenged - ALL IS LOST. SERIOUSLY.

We KNOW this because they are no longer hedging about their agenda.
I agree. Polls having Biden up by 15-20%, Dem politicians openly asking what will be done WHEN Trump refuses to accept that he lost, all just prepping people for the inevitable Dem win. If they steal this one and its not fought tooth and nail, why ever have another legit election? We all know the Republicans wont do a thing though. If they arent making a stink now, they for damn sure wont after the fact.

I agree. Polls having Biden up by 15-20%, Dem politicians openly asking what will be done WHEN Trump refuses to accept that he lost, all just prepping people for the inevitable Dem win. If they steal this one and its not fought tooth and nail, why ever have another legit election? We all know the Republicans wont do a thing though. If they arent making a stink now, they for damn sure wont after the fact.
And that's my point. NY27 was surely the trial run. 31 point lead in-person drops to 5 after the fraud was counted. And nobody is bitching??!?

And what you obsessively fail to comprehend is that voting laws are almost entirely controlled at the state level

You can continue to pitch a fit for another month about NY's voter fraud while you continue to live in Ct but it wont change a thing

Go file a suit against NY alleging voter fraud and let me know how that works out for you
But what is New Hampshire doing to prevent this?

I've asked and haven't gotten an answer.

Meanwhile, evidence suggests other jurisdictions WILL be taken via Donk cheating mechanisms.

Harvested ballots are an abomination to the sanctity of the secret ballot. Mail-in ballots are an affront to same, tolerable only in moderation as a necessity for a small, limited, and verifiable subset of voters with specific, unusual circumstances. Those who do not understand the nature and foundations of the secret ballot in US elections do not understand the history of election abuse in this country. To claim technology has superseded or made small the "retail" abuse of voting is to fail to understand how technology has empowered the coordination of retail voting abuse when coupled with the removal of the protections of the secret ballot.

Back
Top Bottom