Supreme Court - NYSRPA v. Bruen - Megathread

SCOTUS is closed for the pondering federal holidays. Opinions this week are Tuesday and Wednesday

Btw, we have too many holidays for state and federal and state workers but Juneteenth is the stupidest name for a holiday ever. Asinine
Ok , so now the blacks have MLK day, Black history month and now Juneteenth. .? And they are pressuring all businesses to give time off and all schools to teach black history as they see it !

Ok , so now the blacks have MLK day, Black history month and now Juneteenth. .? And they are pressuring all businesses to give time off and all schools to teach black history as they see it !
Eh, celebrating when the country ended slavery is a okay in my book. Celebrating the 13th amendment would be better than Juneteenth, but December already has enough holidays around.

Carson/Makin - how did Maine think they were gonna win this one??? I can't believe this had to get to the SC on this. Didn't we JUST have the "you can't discriminate" thing with the Boston flag???? Are government troglodytes getting the picture yet? Specifically excluding religious organizations is discrimination against religious organizations. Seems like a no-brainer.

Dude.

MLK is about more than "the blacks", as you put it.

In the Carson v makin, the school choice/funding of a school which may be religious, the 1st circuit decided unanimously for Maine with Souter in that panel. Once again, Souter gets reversed by his former colleagues lol.

Of the cases from the 1st circuit Souter was a part of, I don’t think SCOTUS has upheld any opinion Souter has been apart of. He should get the hint and retire permanently.

Juneteenth is up there with Kwanza and Earth Day
This ain't the thread to get into the deeper meaning of holidays in general, but I don't see the celebration of freeing slaves as a bad thing. Yeah, some people are going to use it to push left-wing identity politics, but whatever, they were going to do that anyway.

Pragmatically, any day that Congress and the administrative state shuts down and has to take the day off from $h!tting on my rights is a good day on balance.

Carson/Makin - how did Maine think they were gonna win this one??? I can't believe this had to get to the SC on this. Didn't we JUST have the "you can't discriminate" thing with the Boston flag???? Are government troglodytes getting the picture yet? Specifically excluding religious organizations is discrimination against religious organizations. Seems like a no-brainer.

Three justices (you can guess which ones) think it’s totally fine to force families to send their kids to secular schools when they’d rather send them to religious schools. They’re all about choice as long as you choose to think like they do. Very Orwellian.

Dude.

MLK is about more than "the blacks", as you put it.
He's one of the biggest racists still on the site, you shouldn't be surprised.

This ain't the thread to get into the deeper meaning of holidays in general, but I don't see the celebration of freeing slaves as a bad thing.
I think the name "Juneteenth" is dumb but otherwise I too think it's perfectly appropriate to celebrate the end of legal slavery.

So the way this looks to me is the justices will end their term by getting the hell out of DC as it burns with the NY gun case and Roe dropping at the last possible moment.

That should kickoff the Summer of Love nicely.
This has been my stance. Dobbs and Bruen are going to be held by the clerks and only released once the Supremes are wheels-up for the Bahamas.

So the way this looks to me is the justices will end their term by getting the hell out of DC as it burns with the NY gun case and Roe dropping at the last possible moment.

That should kickoff the Summer of Love nicely.

The opinions are released online this year so some justices may not be in DC at all. When stevens was on the court, I remember reading he spend most of the year in Florida and was rarely in DC.

This has been my stance. Dobbs and Bruen are going to be held by the clerks and only released once the Supremes are wheels-up for the Bahamas.

NYSRPA will get libs and the media flipping out but the general public won’t care. Dobbs may be the impetus for violence by some. That decision will suck all the oxygen from any other decisions.

Who would you like to replace him, Biden?

TBH - you've got a better chance at a decent outcome. Figure 25% of the time, he will rule incorrectly in your favor just because he's wandering around looking for his meds. That's better than 100% against you with SouterShooter.

I think the name "Juneteenth" is dumb but otherwise I too think it's perfectly appropriate to celebrate the end of legal slavery.

Name is dumb. Holiday is dumb.

Well, let's do this. Let's give LGJSHARLSF###$$)@@! February and cancel MLK day. Let's give BHM to June with End of Slavery Day on the third Monday in June. Everyone can be happy and we can stop having 598 different federal holidays commemorating stuff.

Which is more important? MLK or end of slavery. Gotta pick one. Back in olden-times, we had both Washington's AND Lincoln's birthday off. They got combined because of brevity. Ditto here. No one wants to say it because you might offend some black person. But we don't NEED two holidays. Period!

TBH - you've got a better chance at a decent outcome. Figure 25% of the time, he will rule incorrectly in your favor just because he's wandering around looking for his meds. That's better than 100% against you with SouterShooter.

Name is dumb. Holiday is dumb.

Well, let's do this. Let's give LGJSHARLSF###$$)@@! February and cancel MLK day. Let's give BHM to June with End of Slavery Day on the third Monday in June. Everyone can be happy and we can stop having 598 different federal holidays commemorating stuff.

Which is more important? MLK or end of slavery. Gotta pick one. Back in olden-times, we had both Washington's AND Lincoln's birthday off. They got combined because of brevity. Ditto here. No one wants to say it because you might offend some black person. But we don't NEED two holidays. Period!
Exactly, we don't need both MLK and Juneteenth. I remember last year I pulled up to gate at Hanscom AFB for clinic and Commissary and AF Cop at gate said everything closed, Federal Holiday. What holiday I asked and she said Juneteenth. I replied HUH! Then she got dog and searched my Mustang. [rofl]

Three justices (you can guess which ones) think it’s totally fine to force families to send their kids to secular schools when they’d rather send them to religious schools. They’re all about choice as long as you choose to think like they do. Very Orwellian.
Be careful what you wish for - that federal money comes with strings attached.
Do you really want the government involved with the moral teaching of our children? That's why people put their children in faith based education to begin with.

The reference was not to Biden occupying a SCOTUS seat, but selecting a marsupial to fill the vacancy.

NYSRPA will get libs and the media flipping out but the general public won’t care. Dobbs may be the impetus for violence by some. That decision will suck all the oxygen from any other decisions.
I'm thinking the biggest cases all get released on the same day to get the NPC mobs rioting concurrently rather than spreading out the tantrum.

it happens in front of your nose as more and more people become DAs and de-facto enforce new way of life that follows exactly what i stated.
san fran kicked out their DA, sure, but i bet new one will not be too different. our own rachael rollins is of the same breed. if you think she cares of what constitution says about private property and 4th amendment - think again. i am not even talking about 2nd.

that is the process - the people change. and as people change - the system changes.
Again. This is OUR fault! Over and over again we accept the premise of the left’s argument that we are a nation of laws. We are NOT. Thus, every minute we waste arguing the nuances of unjust/unconstitutional laws is a minute we could be using to attack the PREMISE of that unjust law.

Be careful what you wish for - that federal money comes with strings attached.
Do you really want the government involved with the moral teaching of our children? That's why people put their children in faith based education to begin with.

The attached strings are the crux of the issue. In this particular case Maine taxpayers who don’t have a public school option because they live in remote areas are being forced to pay taxes for education but are not allowed to use that money for schooling that the state doesn’t like.

Essentially Maine is taking their money (in the form of state taxes) and then giving it back with strings attached. It’s the taxpayer’s money in the first place, so yeah I want them to be able to spend it how they want.

It’s really an even bigger than that though. Families that happen to live near a public school are still forced to pay for that school whether it’s good or bad, or even if they don’t use it at all. My kids are grown now but I had to pay many thousands of dollars in taxes over the years to support shitty public schools that my kids never even went to. Even if you’re not a parent your forced to fund these government indoctrination centers. Federal funds, state funds, whatever it’s all still taxpayer money being used to force a particular set of values onto our kids.

The attached strings are the crux of the issue. In this particular case Maine taxpayers who don’t have a public school option because they live in remote areas are being forced to pay taxes for education but are not allowed to use that money for schooling that the state doesn’t like.

Essentially Maine is taking their money (in the form of state taxes) and then giving it back with strings attached. It’s the taxpayer’s money in the first place, so yeah I want them to be able to spend it how they want.

It’s really an even bigger than that though. Families that happen to live near a public school are still forced to pay for that school whether it’s good or bad, or even if they don’t use it at all. My kids are grown now but I had to pay many thousands of dollars in taxes over the years to support shitty public schools that my kids never even went to. Even if you’re not a parent your forced to fund these government indoctrination centers. Federal funds, state funds, whatever it’s all still taxpayer money being used to force a particular set of values onto our kids.
6k/year in house taxes and the only time my kids ever entered a public school was to go with us to vote or drop off paperwork for homeschooling.
School went out of their way to stop my kids from taking part in sports and testing both of which they were obligated to allow but they made it impossible.

Hopefully schools that take part in the funding use a portion to retain good representation so they can fight the state when some self important administrator tries to force them to adopt some woke crap.

Again. This is OUR fault! Over and over again we accept the premise of the left’s argument that we are a nation of laws. We are NOT. Thus, every minute we waste arguing the nuances of unjust/unconstitutional laws is a minute we could be using to attack the PREMISE of that unjust law.
first of all, there are no laws in this country - courts here are not driven by mandated articles of law that can be referenced back to some 'book'.
it is all driven by random decisions of judges that may follow, or may not follow the 'interpretation' of what they think the law is.
the following things to that, like is is 'just' or is it 'unjust', it is all secondary. if you will get critical mass of judges that share a certain perspective of what the 'interpreted law' is - you get what we have now, with enough federal judges in government possession to effectively counteract anything from construction of the fence on the border to vaccines to whatever.

to attack, not to attack, those are only words now. the judges and homeland security thing is way ahead of you on all of that. still, again, all this is nothing new, and, as annoying as it is, i bet in 2-3 decades time it will balance itself into something less radical, as, well, it always does.

I'm thinking the biggest cases all get released on the same day to get the NPC mobs rioting concurrently rather than spreading out the tantrum.

The high football post game school prayer case, NYSRPA etc will get the lib politicians and media flipping out a a few days. Dobbs is the focus and has been since the leak. Abortion is a sacrament to the libs.

first of all, there are no laws in this country - courts here are not driven by mandated articles of law that can be referenced back to some 'book'.
it is all driven by random decisions of judges that may follow, or may not follow the 'interpretation' of what they think the law is.
the following things to that, like is is 'just' or is it 'unjust', it is all secondary. if you will get critical mass of judges that share a certain perspective of what the 'interpreted law' is - you get what we have now, with enough federal judges in government possession to effectively counteract anything from construction of the fence on the border to vaccines to whatever.

to attack, not to attack, those are only words now. the judges and homeland security thing is way ahead of you on all of that. still, again, all this is nothing new, and, as annoying as it is, i bet in 2-3 decades time it will balance itself into something less radical, as, well, it always does.
That’s what I’m saying. We are not a nation of laws, we are a nation of political will.

Back
Top Bottom