Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

If reloading anything small pistol, you're going to have a tough time finding those primers unless you decide to substitute the primers for small rifle primers (which can be done).

I actually bought those in bulk too along with the powder & boxes of projectiles years ago. I've got about 6,000 CCI small pistol primers that i've had stashed away for years assuming one day I'd start to reload. Guess that day has come.

Sounds like it's easier to find 9mm ammo than it is to find Small Pistol Primers...???

Any guess how long these prices will be around/will they continue to go up?

You’ll get 10 different answers, but I’ll give you mine. The last shortage took years to come down and the one now is worse than before. Some people think Trump winning re election will calm things down but I disagree. I think the election no matter the outcome will make the shortage/prices worse. Trump winning will probably cause civil unrest on the left and prolong the shortage. Biden winning, obviously, will cause a new crisis. So basically I wouldn’t hold your breath. There’s no end in sight for this shortage and it will probably be a few years.

Any guess how long these prices will be around/will they continue to go up?
Here’s another answer:

If you look at the backlog for the ammunition manufacturers, many of them are reporting 1+ year backlogs. That means they see a lot of pent-up demand out there.

As is true of all the most recent ammo shortages, this one is purely demand driven, so what you’re really trying to predict is when will demand drop to more “normal” levels. This is because it is highly unlikely the manufacturers will add capacity any time soon. The uncertainty of the market will keep them from investing in new capacity. If the Dem’s win, there is the risk of increased gun control limiting the market and if the Repub’s win there is the risk of another large drop in demand. So I don’t expect any increase on the supply side in the near future.

So when will demand drop back to “normal"? To quote John Mulaney “Who’s to say”. It certainly won’t happen before the election, and even if it happens right after, the backlogs indicates we are still looking at a minimum of another year of decreased ammo availability which equals increased prices.

Here’s another answer:

If you look at the backlog for the ammunition manufacturers, many of them are reporting 1+ year backlogs. That means they see a lot of pent-up demand out there.

As is true of all the most recent ammo shortages, this one is purely demand driven, so what you’re really trying to predict is when will demand drop to more “normal” levels. This is because it is highly unlikely the manufacturers will add capacity any time soon. The uncertainty of the market will keep them from investing in new capacity. If the Dem’s win, there is the risk of increased gun control limiting the market and if the Repub’s win there is the risk of another large drop in demand. So I don’t expect any increase on the supply side in the near future.

So when will demand drop back to “normal"? To quote John Mulaney “Who’s to say”. It certainly won’t happen before the election, and even if it happens right after, the backlogs indicates we are still looking at a minimum of another year of decreased ammo availability which equals increased prices.

This.
And before anyone complains about manufacturers not tooling up to meet demand-ask yourself why ammo/guns were so cheap from 2016-2019. Decade low prices because of oversupply due to an expected Hillary win. Rebates galore. Free mags/bags with gun purchase. Resulted in some companies going BK. The survivors learned their recent lesson. They won't repeat their mistakes anytime soon.

You could also say that if the GOP wins and the left goes bananas, the demand will at the very least be sustained if not increased.

BLM gets paid for rioting, theyre not going away any time soon. Everything they've gained monetarily and politically came from violence and mayhem. Why would they stop?

High demand for guns and ammo will be here for a while

My feeling is that demand is pretty maxed out right now. It’s obviously extreme high, but unless we start to see zombies in the streets, it’s hard to believe it’s going to go up much more even with the election.

And even now, it’s available just very, very expensive

Back in April/May I recall some folks were getting all "f*** that" at .24¢ a round, guessing some of those opinions have probably changed since then. [laugh]
I was buying as much 9mm as i could afford up through about 34 cpr, then after that, it spiked badly and much of the supply disappeared. Now I'm not buying anything outside of birdshot and oddball calibers that haven't gotten totally f***ed, like 357 sig and 10mm.

Even if there is a 20% capacity increase, say they are building out this fall, with the current demand levels that is still basically a bunch of guys pissing on a forest fire, it will help, but it's not going to result in a dramatic change in the marketplace.

I think some capacity improvements HAVE happened since Sandy Hook. I expected the market to be blown out and dry by May, and it went somewhat further than
that, if you line it up with gun demand etc the numbers are unprecedented.

My feeling is that demand is pretty maxed out right now. It’s obviously extreme high, but unless we start to see zombies in the streets, it’s hard to believe it’s going to go up much more even with the election.

And even now, it’s available just very, very expensive

Also take into account the demand lag from: people (in places like Mass) where LTCs take months to issue, people need to schedule safety classes to apply for a permit, it takes time to get into a gun club. The places with demand lag happen to be urban areas, with high populations, and HIGH demand potential...country folk either already have guns or can go down to the country store for one.
Its a vicious circle. The more people see empty shelves, the more they want to horde too. Just like the crazy TP hoarders.

deleted. I see many posts from members linking specific companies. What was the issue ?

Back
Top Bottom