Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

It is weird as NH has over 60,000 registered guns at (14%) vs mass with 37,000 registered guns at 22% of the population owning guns . Massachusetts has a population of almost 7 million, while NH has a population of roughly 1.3-1.4 million. That obviously doesn’t add up.

I was confused until I saw Alaska with 62% gun ownership and only 13,000 registered guns vs a population of ~ 700-800k.

Everyone I know in NH and especially Alaska has a least one gun per household, but not everyone in that household has bought a gun and a ton are passed down from generations. My house for instance has a certain # of firearms, but they were only purchased by me so we are already batting 25% in my household. With NH being a constitutional carry state my speculation is that registered owner means less but access to weapons is much much higher than Mass.

list is either shit or there’s a ton of unregistered guns out there.
I believe I've seen these stats before and that the number of "registered" guns in this list is actually the number of NFA items registered in the state. Even MA doesn't have a complete gun registry. The only US wide registry that exists is for NFA items. They are using that number as part of their extrapolation process to guess the number of gun owners in each state.

I've found that the numbers at this site are more believable:

Gun Ownership by State

This info comes from a Rand study and shows a five-year moving average estimate of adults living in households with guns. It shows MA at just under 10% and NH at 40%.

Edit: Alaska is at 60%

It is weird as NH has over 60,000 registered guns at (14%) vs mass with 37,000 registered guns at 22% of the population owning guns . Massachusetts has a population of almost 7 million, while NH has a population of roughly 1.3-1.4 million. That obviously doesn’t add up.

I was confused until I saw Alaska with 62% gun ownership and only 13,000 registered guns vs a population of ~ 700-800k.

Everyone I know in NH and especially Alaska has a least one gun per household, but not everyone in that household has bought a gun and a ton are passed down from generations. My house for instance has a certain # of firearms, but they were only purchased by me so we are already batting 25% in my household. With NH being a constitutional carry state my speculation is that registered owner means less but access to weapons is much much higher than Mass.

List is sh*t. There have to be a lot more than 37K registered guns in MA. We have over 100K gun owners.

Last edited:
Yea no I get it I have 2 masters and a PHD in economics 100% understand the supply/demand aspect I just think its funny that they will disclose previously that its due to manufacturers raising costs to them and then just be like "yeaaaaaa not gonna disclose that" because they know what they are doing.

More just pointing out how ridiculous things keep getting with brands not even mattering anymore everything is just a commodity like you stated above.

At the end of the day I dont fault/blame them its a free economy get that money! Just sucks for all of us!

Huge retailers are creating house brands that often are quite good. Kirkland from Costco. AmazonBasics. Walmart has a number of them.

Imagine if Amazon or Walmart decided to sell or market ammo? House brand. Good quality. Reasonable prices. Wolf Gold .223 type quality. They could take over the market with their buying power and distribution networks.

Of course selling ammo and firearms carries a stigma these days so I don't see that happening.

But to your point I buy Kirkland blue jeans for $14.99/pair or so. They fit nicely. They are comfortable and well built. I don't need to pay another $50 or $100 per pair so I can put someone's logo on my butt. Utility over ego.

Big retailers are slowly but surely encroaching on retail brand products. Especially in tight economic times parents are not going to pay for Calvin Klein or Diesel brands when there are perfectly functioning competitors available.

Viva La Costco!!!

This has probably been about beat to death several times but in short most guns aren't registered (in most states, excluding NFA which is a rare gun overall).

People talk about the ATF harvesting 4473's when they have an excuse, but if it's happening it's a skunkworks thing, nobody doing statistics can access that and it's also going to be a tiny fraction of what goes on anyway.

The path to who owns a gun generally starts with the serial number and is worked from the manufacturer to an FFL to someone who bought it "new", then it can become word of mouth and generally unknown if a private sale occurred. In say NH you cannot just go see how many guns a citizen has.

Sometimes they use numbers of background checks to guage this stuff but it misses someone buying multiple guns as well as private sales, and doesn't differentiate 2nd hand guns getting transferred to new owners via FFL.

So no database exists in short.

Last edited:
Other than 9mm, ammo seems to be staying around longer. Granted that is at current high prices but a few weeks ago 5.56 wouldn't stay in stock at even .65 and has been for days even in small quantities.

I think it must be about a month or so since I've watched this thread, or bought any ammo for that matter. Is it my imagination or have prices been climbing steadily since then?

I keep seeing listings in the classifieds with outrageous prices but the laughing smileys under the listings are getting fewer and farther between.
No. Prices went down.

This has probably been about beat to death several times but in short most guns aren't registered (in most states, excluding NFA which is a rare gun overall).

People talk about the ATF harvesting 4473's when they have an excuse, but if it's happening it's a skunkworks thing, nobody doing statistics can access that and it's also going to be a tiny fraction of what goes on anyway.

The path to who owns a gun generally starts with the serial number and is worked from the manufacturer to an FFL to someone who bought it "new", then it can become word of mouth and generally unknown if a private sale occurred. In say NH you cannot just go see how many guns a citizen has.

Sometimes they use numbers of background checks to guage this stuff but it misses someone buying multiple guns as well as private sales, and doesn't differentiate 2nd hand guns getting transferred to new owners via FFL.

So no database exists in short.
Agree. But the numbers still don't make sense. At least for MA.

I honestly, honestly find myself wondering how high the bidding would go if I were to log on to Gunbroker or Armslist and listed "Up for bid:1000 rounds of 9mm Blazer Brass" (or Federal HST etc)....

Just sayin'
"Street low" is about $500 for a case of 115gr 9mm now. Probably would net higher at auction.

I honestly, honestly find myself wondering how high the bidding would go if I were to log on to Gunbroker or Armslist and listed "Up for bid:1000 rounds of 9mm Blazer Brass" (or Federal HST etc)....

Just sayin'

There are definitely a few out there willing to pay $1.00/round for any of the normally cheap calibers.

Folks who really have no concerns over $$ and just don't see the stuff where they are looking, the way the rest of us might pay $5/roll for a few rolls of paper towels at a convenience store if we didn't see them at the supermarket.

But generally it seems in this market target grade 9mm has a value of around .60/round online. It looks like maybe 5.56 is dropping a little, other calibers less sought definitely are, but bad results in this election totally could reverse the trend.

There are definitely a few out there willing to pay $1.00/round for any of the normally cheap calibers.

Folks who really have no concerns over $$ and just don't see the stuff where they are looking, the way the rest of us might pay $5/roll for a few rolls of paper towels at a convenience store if we didn't see them at the supermarket.

But generally it seems in this market target grade 9mm has a value of around .60/round online. It looks like maybe 5.56 is dropping a little, other calibers less sought definitely are, but bad results in this election totally could reverse the trend.

Elasticity of demand. We seem to have reached equilibrium for supply/demand at these prices.

But this could change as circumstances change.

I like those too. If you find them, let me know and vice versa.
@citoriguy
I just overpaid for 500 rounds of the Winchester Silvertips through GunBroker, the guy has more, both 147 and 124. I haven't got it yet, he ships a bit slow, it will go out by Thursday. If you want his email PM me.

Back
Top Bottom