The December Big E show

Maybe too late but if one is needing parts, especially anything form milsurp or current military (AR) check with Second Amendment Sports. Chances are he'll have it. He's very knowledgeable about that niche also.

I finally bought something at the very last table of the day. It just happened to be the Zero Arms table and I bought an East German Makarov for $300. It was in great shape and I'd been looking for one at a decent price.

If I had a spare $1500 I would of been one happy camper walking out of that place!!!!

The ammo tent was definitely less then usual. Even the reloading guy in the tent didn't have a whole lot.

Overall I had a great time.

I think that was the same East German Mak that Madmarc was trying to sell here on the foums a while back. I almost bought it but decided against getting one. I heard the East German ones are great shooters and have some of the best triggers.
Yeah... an extra $1500 would have been great, Gewher 43s, exotic snipers, Valmet AKs, definitely some high end stuff at that show, I just never have high end cash when I go.[sad]

Good lord, what a bunch of militaria junk and freaks walking around at that show. There were very, very few jems in the rough as well. I purchased myself a nice Lightweight Colt Officer's ACP from the Match Shot table.

And what's up with that table every show with the poodle? Very strange, but the dog is well behaved.

I'm drooling.....I've been looking for a Belgium Hi-Power....and for under $500. I would have jumped on that I think.

Not a bad show - smaller than usual. I don't think I missed anything since I was # 5 through the door...

NY ammo boys had a truck breakdown - or so I was told. Could explain the smaller than usual ammo inventory.

Saw a few low-priced deals: Remington 1903 A3 for $350, a nice refurb Egyptian Hakim for the same price. As usual, the deals were found with the guys who only had 1/2 dozen guns to sell, not rack after rack of guns.

Picked up some cleaning patches and a couple of RCBS reloading dies.

Didn't see the rifle I was looking for, so I stopped by Classic Arms in Sturbridge on the way home - and picked up a "sporterized" 1905 Canadian Ross, Mk 2. Couldn't resist - it was in great shape, and the price was right.

Also picked up a tin of 440 rounds of Romanian 7.62x54R (148 gr) while I was there, since I didn't see anything similar at the ammo tent.

After stripping down the Ross and cleaning/checking everything last night, I brought it to the range today for a little test fire. Shoots great! Love that micrometer rear sight. I also shot my Arisaka Type 99 for the first time today - and that turned out to be great as well. Good time had by all... well, by me.

Not a bad show - smaller than usual. I don't think I missed anything since I was # 5 through the door...

NY ammo boys had a truck breakdown - or so I was told. Could explain the smaller than usual ammo inventory.

Saw a few low-priced deals: Remington 1903 A3 for $350, a nice refurb Egyptian Hakim for the same price. As usual, the deals were found with the guys who only had 1/2 dozen guns to sell, not rack after rack of guns.

Yep, saw the 03A3 and the Hakim. I was tempted but already have both and both shoot great so I passed. I also saw a Swiss K11 that had a really bone dry stock that looked like a replacement, but the price was ok to fair. Fortunately I have one of those also. The seller had dropped his price because I've seen this same rifle at past shows and it was priced better this time around.
I was really hoping for a Romanian, Albanian, or another Russian SKS reasonably priced, but found nothing. I hate to put in WTB reports at internet mail order companies because guys like DK at EA (you guys know who I mean) usually ask a premium for rifles wanted because he hand picks them. Hence my gun show searching.[thinking]
I almost grabbed another SAR1 AK because there were a few at around $320 but I passed on those too. A few old bolt actions on Terry Goode's racks tempted me but I think I'm getting over the impulse buy phase of milsurpitis and am passing over rifles I already have or sub standard condition ones I don't. My money is now aimed at rarities and mint or VG to Exc. condition variations. As long as they're reasonably priced.[wink]
Didn't see you Ken, but than again I was in Termiantor scanning mode and could have bypassed a pole lined with $100 bills because I was looking at tables scouring for deals.[laugh]

They had 2 cased of SA for $45.00 per pack. It was purchased by 1 guy early.

They had about 4k of Paki .308.
it was going for $250.00 per thousand or $25.99 for 100 rounds.

I bought the Hakim for 350.00 it looked like a good deal, The stock is nice and there were a few pits on the top cover but overall a good rifle.
I was/am looking for a decent stock for a 1903a3 and ended up buying a whole rifle for 325.00!
Too nice to part out for the stock so I'm stuck looking for another! DOH!

I also got a banged up mauser K98 bayo for cheap.

And last but not least a Jap Arisaka 99 with intact mum needing some care but a nice project.

They had 2 cased of SA for $45.00 per pack.....

Holy %#$*
That's $405 a case. I passed on it at the Marlboro show because it had jumped from $229 to $300.

That $300 looks pretty good now. I've got about a case and a half left, but with no more coming in, I should have picked up more when I had the chance.
I'm stocked deep with 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 but that wont help me feed my M1919 or FAL[sad]

I bought the Hakim for 350.00 it looked like a good deal, The stock is nice and there were a few pits on the top cover but overall a good rifle.
I was/am looking for a decent stock for a 1903a3 and ended up buying a whole rifle for 325.00!
Too nice to part out for the stock so I'm stuck looking for another! DOH!

I also got a banged up mauser K98 bayo for cheap.

And last but not least a Jap Arisaka 99 with intact mum needing some care but a nice project.

I want a job working and setting up for Zero Hour so I can get some good deals before the crowds show up.[smile]
I did see the Hakim and 03A3 but would have jumped on the $40 bayonet in a hurry. Ones I saw were way outa line for price. I noticed the Arisaka and bayonet looked like early grabs.[wink]

Yes, right on the money! Jim got me the Arisaka early on Sat.
I got the bayo mid-day Sat. The bayo was nothing to look at, it had some grind marks on it so I had to refinish it. I just needed a representitave for my K98.
And the Hakim and Remington were bought on Sunday.
The Hakim was in the rack for all to see and the Remington walked in on someone's shoulder.

I think I have an addiction!

I have been collecting milsurps for more than 10 years now and just started to get different countries besides just the USA guns.

I hear ya. I started off with just US rifles, then I walked into Four Seasons one day and found a nifty Enfield No. 4 Mk 1 with an excellent bore and micrometer rear sight - for $119.

The rest is history. I'm currently up to 16 different rifle calibers, and have reloading dies for 13 of them.

I'm drooling.....I've been looking for a Belgium Hi-Power....and for under $500. I would have jumped on that I think.

The problem I had is that I saw this High Power at the second table I started to look at. It was a guy and his wife on the wall to the left of the entrance just past the Dunkin Donuts place. I had the whole show left and many things I was looking for. I was thinking the whole time that I'd go back and buy it. That's why I passed on the Rem 1100 and S&W 625. Made it to the last table. Just couldn't pass on the Mak for that price though.

Hummm, I should of bought the Hi Power. Now I have a whole new 9mm I have to keep a stock off. Anyone reload 9X18? [thinking]

From an overheard conversation this week:

- Entry fee for both customers and dealers have increased,

- It was alleged that the parking fee (was $5) has also increased.

The Big E shows have been getting smaller and smaller (dealers) over the past 5-10 years.

Marlboro has typically been as big or bigger and a much larger selection of ammo dealers too.

Just my opinion. I don't know why everyone rags on Big E. It sucks, but then all the gun shows suck. You don't have to pay for parking unless you're too lazy to walk two hundred yards. For the entertainment value alone it is better than going to a mall with your wife. I never go there expecting to find anything, but if I do it's a plus. Last time I found a guy selling M-1 carbine magazines for $5 each while everybody around him was selling for two or three times that. If you just take it as what it is and enjoy the experience it's a pretty cheap ticket for a couple of hours of fun. I don't expect to find any bargains on anything, but often it helps me browse and decide what I actually am looking for

Just my opinion. I don't know why everyone rags on Big E. It sucks, but then all the gun shows suck. You don't have to pay for parking unless you're too lazy to walk two hundred yards. For the entertainment value alone it is better than going to a mall with your wife. I never go there expecting to find anything, but if I do it's a plus. Last time I found a guy selling M-1 carbine magazines for $5 each while everybody around him was selling for two or three times that. If you just take it as what it is and enjoy the experience it's a pretty cheap ticket for a couple of hours of fun. I don't expect to find any bargains on anything, but often it helps me browse and decide what I actually am looking for

Yup we have always taken it as a cheap form of entertainment for us. I will visit my russian guy if he's there.[grin]

He's usually got some very interesting items there. Bought some vests and a snow blue camo. winter jacket from him over the years. Nice stuff.

I remember "what it used to be", the ridiculous cost of parking, lack of ammo dealers due to stupid Big E rules and long drive (100+ mi each way) just don't make it worth my while.

I'd be more entertained dropping by Four Seasons and Collectors for a few hours.

On the other hand, I do enjoy the Marlboro show and will probably give the Wilmington show another try (haven't been there in years).

Second that. These are the good old days. Well, it's off to Harvard to belt around some metal plates at the 200 and 300 yard ranges with one of the FAL's.

We went this afternoon and it was actually really nice. There were deals to be had, and yes you had to look for them. There were quite a few more tables than the last time. We couldn't find the GOAL table though. We went up and down all the aisles, etc. Yes there are more tables here than Marlboro show, and they aren't as crammed in in space as the Marlboro show. Usually we go in the morning, but had other things to do and went in the afternoon, and it was actually really enjoyable and you could actually look at everything.

We went this afternoon and it was actually really nice. There were deals to be had, and yes you had to look for them. There were quite a few more tables than the last time. We couldn't find the GOAL table though. We went up and down all the aisles, etc. Yes there are more tables here than Marlboro show, and they aren't as crammed in in space as the Marlboro show. Usually we go in the morning, but had other things to do and went in the afternoon, and it was actually really enjoyable and you could actually look at everything.

I agree completely. I did find the GOAL although I wasn't looking for it.
I just have a slow and steady system of going up one side and down the other of each aisle. It wasn't terribly crowded like Marlboro tends to be so you can actually look at the stuff on the tables. The only thing I bought was a foot long hot dog and coke.
I was looking at a replica bayonet for a jungle carbine, but decided to wait until I get an inheritance and get a real one. Three hours of
entertainment for $8. I enjoyed it

We go up and down each aisle also. We start at one end and work our way to the other. We were actually looking for the Goal table, aw well. It was nice and we figure for around 20 for both of us to go and have a good time, was priceless. I visited my Russian guy. I always catch up with him and also add to my collections. [laugh]

Was it all Old gip gop or was there anything newer there? The problem I have with gunshows is they always have old WWII stuff and I'm into the newer guns. Any Kimber compacts or anything good?

Was it all Old gip gop or was there anything newer there? The problem I have with gunshows is they always have old WWII stuff and I'm into the newer guns. Any Kimber compacts or anything good?

There is virtually anything you want if you're willing to look for it.
I used to get turned off by all the Nazi stuff, but now I'm actually finding it interesting,historically speaking. I don't think I'll be buying a Hitler bust for my desk anytime soon.
There was actually a guy walking around in a WWII German uniform recruiting people for whatever it is he does. I've seen him there every time for the last five years.
But back to your question. Anything you can legally buy in MA is usually there. You may not want to pay their prices, but it is there

As far as the Nazi stuff it doesn't bother me, we were stationed in Berlin so I find it interesting, and when Alan goes with us, he is always looking at it since he is a WWII buff.
As far as newer stuff as with anything really you need to know what prices are, is all. We know some gun stores jack their prices up specifically for the gun show, but if you went in there shop it would be cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom