the Gun Room gets a new look

at 18...i started off with a 12 gun safe never thinking i'd have more than 5 or 6 guns...

through the years...the collection grew...exponentially

the safe was no longer adequate...nor were the 10 or so hard cases i used to store the guns that wouldnt fit in the safe...a year and a half ago i got my LTC at 21...things went from a downward spiral to a freefall

i converted a closet into a gun room...also referred to as the armory/arsenal of freedom/columbine closet by some friends

05_01_0.jpg

05_01_1.jpg

that still wasnt enough to hold all the guns, ammo and magazines...and those arent ALL of the guns i own the pciture...a few are missing...

so today...in a desperate effort to try and restore some order to my collection...and lack of anything better to do with my day off while i procrastinate studying gor my final tonight...i did some work in the closet

cleaned out all the guns...snapped this pic of some EBR's
05_01_2.jpg

and added 2 new 16 gun safes

05_01_4.jpg

05_01_5.jpg

things are still a little bit of a mess...but i prefer to think of it as organized confusion[smile]

[bow] is all i can do....one day i will beable to regroup and re-invest. Let me do the math.. she is 5 1/2
22-24
_______
17.5 ish
OOOOOps Wedding....... + 3

20 more years.......[sad2]

Awesome! I've been considering the same idea, but I'm worried about how to secure the closet against theft. How did you beef it up to stop someone from coming through the wallboard or ripping the door off it's frame?

Nice collection though... [smile]

How did you beef it up to stop someone from coming through the wallboard or ripping the door off it's frame?

door hinges face in towards the closet so that they cant be punched out

the inside walls are raw but it the outside are finished walls...sheetrock, 2x4's and plywood...the stuff inside is just to cover up the raw wood as the closet was once a storage room for tools...the safes will all be bolted to the floor this weekend...so in essence...theres about 3 levels of protection you have to go through before you reach the guns

the handguns will be coming off the wall shortly and will be in 2 more stack on safes bolted to the top of the 16 gun safes...baby steps

Very nice - that is one hell of a collection you got going.
Nice setup for the home also.

door hinges face in towards the closet so that they cant be punched out

the inside walls are raw but it the outside are finished walls...sheetrock, 2x4's and plywood...the stuff inside is just to cover up the raw wood as the closet was once a storage room for tools...the safes will all be bolted to the floor this weekend...so in essence...theres about 3 levels of protection you have to go through before you reach the guns

the handguns will be coming off the wall shortly and will be in 2 more stack on safes bolted to the top of the 16 gun safes...baby steps

door.JPG
[hmmm]

Nice collection, though.

I guess living at home does have some benefits. [wink]

LN...guess i lied!

thats one of the improvements that still needs to be made then...i guess ive been planning to do it for so long i thought it had been completed...yikes!

haha and yes...lving at home does have some benefits...although not if you ask my parents their opinion on what happened to their closet

23 or so and all those guns? HOWWWWW! Where does the money come from? I am 22 and I can't purchase any new guns. All the money goes to matches, gas, and reloading components. Any guns are going to have to be used for teaching.

ill be 23 in june

ive maintained a job all through out high school and college...ive been out of school "full time" for a year and in that time have held down 3 jobs...2 day jobs and 1 at night (the 1 at night usually nets me about $300-500 a week in cash alone)

i live at home...so food/rent/cable.heat are all taken care of (thanx mom and dad)...i just quit working with Budweiser...so things may get a lil tighter...considering they paid for my cell phone, mileage, and various other expenses

im single...while my friends buy their girlfriends $900 coach bags...i buy myself an $1100 kimber...it doesnt talk back...i never have to take it out to eat...it never worries if its getting fat...loves when i hold it tight...and doesnt mind being a lil dirty...or that i have other pistols i like to play with

so basically 80% of the money i make goes to guns and ammo...the rest towards my truck payment...and a lil is being saved for a downpayment on my new escalade in the fall of '08

im sick i know[wink]

You know what man? Good for you! Before you end up with a mortgage, wife, kids, tutitions, water bills, etc etc etc. You should be living it up, and you're doing a damn good job of it. Being a collector of many things over the years, I admire your dedication. Keep it up. [smile]

I plan on converting a closet to an 'armory' one of these days and think I know how I'm going to handle the door.

Nothing is fool proof and this will not stop a determined burglar, but will keep the non professionals out for a while.

closet.jpg

Edited: Actually the welded hinge is not necessary as the door cannot be pulled away because of the angle and z strips.

Last edited:
My basement is all finished and I have one room for all the gun stuff. I barred up the window with 3/4" black pipe and put a 3 piece knockdown steel frame with a solid core door. For hardware, heavy duty lockset and doulble deadbolts. If somebody wants in it's gonna take a while.

Nothing is fool proof and this will not stop a determined burglar, but will keep the non professionals out for a while.

+1 Dennis

my parents have been looking to move for some time...and of the criterias in houses they are looking for is an in-law apartment for me, and sadly enough an area that is large enough to securely keep my guns...looking mostly at places with finished basements and that would allow for use of a "safe" door...one of those huge 6 lug locking doors that browning sells that can be installed onto a wall that has 3 sides made of solid concrete

its another reason why i posted the picture was because i know there was a thread awhile back with someone asking questions about how to build a safe room

unless a burglar has all day he/she isnt going to mess with locked doors

why mess with a locked door when 99% of the time the valuables are laying out in the open in the bedrooms???

That is such a great collection! I'm VERY jealous! About 80% of my money is going to school, cars, and boats. And the rest goes to food and guns.........I need to up the gun budget.

Nice collection BH! Not sure if you have this issue but do you use anything to control moisture or humidity? I was thinking of doing the same in my basement but noticed with the heavy rainfall in the past year it can get sort of damp. Was thinking of a plug in de-humidifier but was curious if anyone else had any suggestions?

benster...no such problems

i do have a browning dessicant bag in there thats been in there for over a year...so far its absorbed very little moisture...there is a color code on it that lets you know when its too moist and its never come close to the color...however i will be investing in a few dehumidifying rods for the safes

After seeing that I only hope your closet has smaller dimensions than mine. If its roughly the same, I'm gonna need doubled up racks.
I have plans for building something similar but with a heavy duty steel door and dead bolt, and your pics now have me wondering if I have enough wall space inside the closet. I may wind up having to put standing racks on wheels so I can roll them out.
Here I was gonna sign on, read a few posts, and go watch the Sox game. Now I'm gonna go start measuring. [thinking]

ray...i just took a rough measurement...its about 4.5 feet by 7.5 feet

Hey u still owe me those 250 rnds of .45!! of that remington u muther effer...not bad tho i will have to come by and mess shit up.

youll get your ammo when you pay up...mess the stuff up and ill blind you!

ray...i just took a rough measurement...its about 4.5 feet by 7.5 feet

I wanted a neat looking line up against the walls but after reading that it looks like its standing racks on rollers for me. Glad I saw your pic before I started notching and felt lining some strips of pine for the wall mounts. I can understand a little more now why you may think of selling some of the milsurps.[wink]

ray...i was thinking of doin the rolling racks as well...but figured itd be a PIA after reviewing my options

the wood i used for the wall rack was actually from a finished bed frame...and i used a drill press to make the semi circles

if you have the room...the alternate way i was thinking of doing it was making dual wall racks...one on top of the other...with the butts of the guns on top alternating with the barrels of the guns on bottom...if you get what im saying

but it was too complicated for me to complete in one weekend so i abandoned the idea

Back
Top Bottom