The Liberty Training Rifle

I have a 10/22 with the original barrel and tsr200 sights.

The front post within the assembly feels loose to me. You can jiggle it around. It doesn't move if you aren't pushing it, but it does easily move around when you nudge it with a fingertip. It appears to always recenter in the same spot when you take your finger off the post. It does raise and lower using the adjustment tool.

Is this correct or should it be solidly in position (not shifting if you nudge it)?

The front post within the assembly feels loose to me. You can jiggle it around. It doesn't move if you aren't pushing it, but it does easily move around when you nudge it with a fingertip. It appears to always recenter in the same spot when you take your finger off the post. It does raise and lower using the adjustment tool.

Is this correct or should it be solidly in position (not shifting if you nudge it)?

Is this after you've zero'd the rifle? I believe the tsr200 requires a different front post, other wise you need to adjust the front post all the way up until it's almost popping out of the housing. This seemed to be the issue with one of the guys on the line at the Harvard Appleseed last month.

Is this after you've zero'd the rifle? I believe the tsr200 requires a different front post, other wise you need to adjust the front post all the way up until it's almost popping out of the housing. This seemed to be the issue with one of the guys on the line at the Harvard Appleseed last month.
Correct - you need a longer front sight post. I think that Tech Sights has them on their website.

Item #TS00182 - Extended National Match Front Post
$5.00 Each

* Taller post for shooting at shorter ranges.
* .050 inches taller than standard post.
* Comes Standard on TSR200 sight for Ruger 10/22.
Maybe you bought yours before this was included in the TSR200s?

I just checked mine and a couple of AR-15 sights - there is a little movement. The plunger detent that holds the adjustment is pushing up on that side of the sight post, which returns everything to the same place, but there is some play between the threading on the sight post and in the sight body. Whether there's too much would need some direct comparison. The post would not be as rock solid as as the original Ruger sight that's dovetailed into the barrel.

Mine I can feel move if I wiggle it, but it's almost not visible. Manufacturing tolerances could certainly have given yours more movement, but how much is too much? If you're concerned that yours is moving too much, I would recommend calling Tech Sights and asking them, or comparing to other Tech Sights that are out there. They are customer friendly.

Or, you could shoot it as is until your next Appleseed, and compare it to other rifles on the line then.

Well, the housing itself came loose (separate problem) which rendered attempts to zero the rifle - fruitless... That's a locktite and set screw issue though.

Correct - you need a longer front sight post. I think that Tech Sights has them on their website.

Maybe you bought yours before this was included in the TSR200s?

I bought the 200 recently, just a few weeks before the Harvard Appleseed and after (your?) comments that the longer post was now included with the 200. (but I don't have an older one to compare to)

I just checked mine and a couple of AR-15 sights - there is a little movement. The plunger detent that holds the adjustment is pushing up on that side of the sight post, which returns everything to the same place, but there is some play between the threading on the sight post and in the sight body. Whether there's too much would need some direct comparison. The post would not be as rock solid as as the original Ruger sight that's dovetailed into the barrel.

Mine I can feel move if I wiggle it, but it's almost not visible. Manufacturing tolerances could certainly have given yours more movement, but how much is too much? If you're concerned that yours is moving too much, I would recommend calling Tech Sights and asking them, or comparing to other Tech Sights that are out there. They are customer friendly.

Or, you could shoot it as is until your next Appleseed, and compare it to other rifles on the line then.

From your description my post rocks more. I'll call Tech Sights. I'm already signed up for the Athol Appleseed. Hopefully I can work this out before then!

Well, the housing itself came loose (separate problem) which rendered attempts to zero the rifle - fruitless... That's a locktite and set screw issue though.

I've had the front housing AND the rear sights come loose on my LTR. Pissed me off because the rear ones came loose during day 1 of Appleseed. I was wondering why my shots were all over the place. I had to keep adjusting during day 2 and finally got them back in close by the end of the day.

I bought the 200 recently, just a few weeks before the Harvard Appleseed and after (your?) comments that the longer post was now included with the 200. (but I don't have an older one to compare to)

From your description my post rocks more. I'll call Tech Sights. I'm already signed up for the Athol Appleseed. Hopefully I can work this out before then!

Ah, nuts - the lightbulb came on, finally. If you have the 200 installed with the shorter sight post, than zeroing the rifle will have the front post screwed out too far. As fewer threads engage the front sight base, the play between the post and base will increase. To check this, screw the front sight post all the way down, bring it back up, say 1 or 2 revolutions, and check for post movement. If that doesn't move much, than the fix is the longer sight post.

Sorry - I should finish my first coffee before answering posts.....

I've had the front housing AND the rear sights come loose on my LTR. Pissed me off because the rear ones came loose during day 1 of Appleseed. I was wondering why my shots were all over the place. I had to keep adjusting during day 2 and finally got them back in close by the end of the day.

Were we shooting the same rifle? [laugh]

I borrowed a screwdriver to tighten the rear sight but couldn't find a hex for the front. (at the Appleseed)

KMM: I'm still not sure - just too loose. Even adjusted all the way up ( = very loose ) it shot high. But I did not realize at the time there was another elevation on the rear sight, so I should be able to get that under control now.

Two things you really want to include with your LTR

Two things you really should include with your LTR are a 9/64" Allen wrench and a 5/64" Allen wrench.

The first is to take apart your magazines with - definitely not needed every time you go shooting, and maybe not even once a year, but have one on hand anyway - If you have feed issues, it's nice to be able to pull it apart, clean it and reassemble it the right way.

The second is the wrench you need to tighten up your front sight. (even though it's Loctited down, RIGHT???).

A small screwdriver to keep the rear sights tight might be a useful addition, too.

Two things you really should include with your LTR are a 9/64" Allen wrench and a 5/64" Allen wrench.

The first is to take apart your magazines with - definitely not needed every time you go shooting, and maybe not even once a year, but have one on hand anyway - If you have feed issues, it's nice to be able to pull it apart, clean it and reassemble it the right way.

The second is the wrench you need to tighten up your front sight. (even though it's Loctited down, RIGHT???).

A small screwdriver to keep the rear sights tight might be a useful addition, too.

And don't forget a screwdriver to tighten the action into the stock.

I just installed the VQ Ruger 10/22 Target Hammer and VQ Bolt Buffer. I brought a bunch of the 20 round AQT's and shot a 194! At the Appleseed in April I was shooting mid to high 150's. I admit that I have not been doing much dry firing and this was the first time I was able to hit the range and practice "by the numbers." Needless to say I was psyched that my groupings improved so much. Even on the 1" squares, my groupings were much more precise. While not 100% necessary, I highly recommend these upgrades to anybody building an LTR.

If anyone is looking for a 10/22 to turn into an LTR, Richie at Callaghan's Firearms Sales in Marlborough has one with a $165 price tag on it. Think it's a real hardwood stock, too. It's a little rough (but nowhere NEAR as rough as the one I just grabbed!) but will be a serviceable LTR.

If anyone is looking for a 10/22 to turn into an LTR, Richie at Callaghan's Firearms Sales in Marlborough has one with a $165 price tag on it. Think it's a real hardwood stock, too. It's a little rough (but nowhere NEAR as rough as the one I just grabbed!) but will be a serviceable LTR.

That's interesting. Its pretty sad that most used 10/22s go for $200 these days. That's what I paid for mine new. [hmmm]

Just added a link to the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor in the first post. I'm now officially a Believer in them - loaned my two LTRs out to shooters at the Winslow, NJ shoot and had NO extraction issues all weekend. Possibly the BEST $11.29 I've ever spent on my 10/22s.

I just cannot praise this little gadget enough.

Garr...I wish I'd read this sooner. I picked up a brand new Marlin 60 for $150. I love the little thing but I didn't want to spend another $100 on a Ruger 10/22. If they were the same price I might've gone with the Ruger.

Next summer maybe..

I'd love to do one of these Appleseed events eventually. Seem like a blast.

Garr...I wish I'd read this sooner. I picked up a brand new Marlin 60 for $150. I love the little thing but I didn't want to spend another $100 on a Ruger 10/22. If they were the same price I might've gone with the Ruger.
What's the problem?

Seriously... get some sling swivels, a sling, some Tech Sights and a few straws from McDonalds and get thee to an Appleseed! You have plenty of time to do the mods before the Harvard Appleseed at the end of August. The brand of rifle means NOTHING - we know how to handle tube-fed rifles at Appleseeds; this is NOT a problem.

I'll be looking for you on the line in Harvard, Kalahari!

Hah, no problem, but if I'd known I could've gotten a Ruger for a few bucks more I might've gone with that.. I couldn't find any for less than $250.

In any case, I'd love to use my Marlin in an Appleseed, but this summer it probably won't happen. Money is tight so I'll have to save up for those sights and the rest. Also doesn't help that I'll be leaving for school on the 22nd haha.

Otherwise I'm really looking forward to it!

Plenty of shoots in Texas in September. Or you could borrow an LTR, or shoot it like it is anyway - you're under 21 so you shoot for free. The only thing you'd pay is ammo (<$30 for the weekend) and MAYBE a range fee - which is $20 or less, if one is charged at all.

Stop making excuses! [wink] There's shoots in VT and NH this summer, too!

Aren't tech sights necessary? Or some type of peep sights? I've got to really actually look into the rules and regs and create a budget. At the least I'll try to go to an Appleseed with a friend (no car, ack!) and check it out and make some connections. Texas is a big state though [wink]

But I will definitely see you on the range in the not-so-distant future!

Last edited:
Just added a link to the Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor in the first post. I'm now officially a Believer in them - loaned my two LTRs out to shooters at the Winslow, NJ shoot and had NO extraction issues all weekend. Possibly the BEST $11.29 I've ever spent on my 10/22s.

I just cannot praise this little gadget enough.

I'm a believer too, I had at least one extraction issue per mag before putting it in, now its none or very few per weekend of nonstop shooting with no cleaning...

Kalahari: you bring a rifle with any sights and we'll teach you to shoot with them. I would definitely recommend peep sights if you can get them though.

I like them a lot more than the standard sights on my 60 anyways. They're a tad expensive though, so I'm gonna have to save the dough first.

Aren't tech sights necessary? Or some type of peep sights? I've got to really actually look into the rules and regs and create a budget. At the least I'll try to go to an Appleseed with a friend (no car, ack!) and check it out and make some connections. Texas is a big state though [wink]

The standard set up for an LTR is NOT required (Please correct me if I am wrong) The point is to get out and learn & practice - run what you brung.

I will say that it's geared towards service rifles but mag fed bolt guns are good, single shot rifles not so much due to the rapid fire sequences.

The tech sights and sling, pad, elbow pads, etc just make it more comfortable and easier on the shooter - the tech sights actually mimic service rifle sights and that's part of the point - clicks & minutes

Like the DwarvenOne says - get there and they'll get you a rifle but yours will work too - it's not an equipment or fashion show, it's marksmanship training.

I fully understand budgets, purchases and time from my own school days - skip the equipment and get to the range. It will teach you what to practice while you're waiting for your pennies to spawn. It will also help you decide what you need, not what is recommended or others have.

Whether you arrive with a "full on" battle rifle, an inexpensive simulator like the LTR, or a single shot, open sight, bolt action .22 you picked up for $10, you will pick up valuable skills (and some history) at Appleseed.

As Sprocket notes, you might have trouble doing the rapid fire sections but then you adapt the routine and shoot it the way that works for you to learn. You might have trouble earning the rifleman patch without a semi-auto something, but the patch is just a carrot. If you walk away with a few new skills (and you will), you accomplished the REAL goal.

D1 mentioned under 21, I believe current (and ex?) US military and ladies are also free to attend.

ANY rifle and 500 - 1000 rounds (which is why so many use .22) and you will have a great time and improve.

Aren't tech sights necessary?
NO!!!!!

They make it easier to sight in your rifle, and they give you a better sight picture, but we've had people shoot rifleman with the stock Ruger sights.

Whether you arrive with a "full on" battle rifle, an inexpensive simulator like the LTR, or a single shot, open sight, bolt action .22 you picked up for $10, you will pick up valuable skills (and some history) at Appleseed.

As Sprocket notes, you might have trouble doing the rapid fire sections but then you adapt the routine and shoot it the way that works for you to learn. You might have trouble earning the rifleman patch without a semi-auto something, but the patch is just a carrot. If you walk away with a few new skills (and you will), you accomplished the REAL goal.

D1 mentioned under 21, I believe current (and ex?) US military and ladies are also free to attend.

ANY rifle and 500 - 1000 rounds (which is why so many use .22) and you will have a great time and improve.
One hundred percent correct! You WILL learn, even with a stock Model 60. If you have to budget your accessories, I'd advise getting the sling first, but seriously - GET TO A SHOOT. THAT is FAR more important. Appleseed is NOT just about marksmanship; it's a lot more.

Oh, and you CAN shoot Rifleman with a bolt gun - it's been done many times.

Under 21 shoots free, as do ladies of all ages, and current military folks (reserve and active duty - just need your mil ID) and elected officials and Rev War reenactors... IF they show up on Rev War garb.

Plenty of shoots in Texas in September. Or you could borrow an LTR, or shoot it like it is anyway - you're under 21 so you shoot for free. The only thing you'd pay is ammo (<$30 for the weekend) and MAYBE a range fee - which is $20 or less, if one is charged at all.

Stop making excuses! [wink] There's shoots in VT and NH this summer, too!

Yup, all kinds of Appleseeds in Texas.

Now, Davilla is a ways to go for you, but I just happen to be close friends with the guy that owns the place, the range is on his ranch (he's Scout on the Appleseed forum).

He'll take good care of you. Tell him Nickle and Dwarven1 sent you.

Now, I've seen Rifleman scores shot with some pretty simple rigs. Even with a 10/22 with factory sights (OK, the rear sight was tweaked a tiny bit, looked like a Mojo sight).

It is, for fact, a run what ya brung program, and about the worst that will happen if you bring something totally improper is you'll be offered a proper rifle to work with.

Areas outside the Northeast also have loaners, just usually not as many as we have here (thanks to some generous people that have donated).

The main thing is to go.

There is a one armed man who shot a Rifleman score in Texas with a bolt gun.

That is all. Man I hate this thread.

I'd like to know where to get the rifle for $10 [smile]

Seriously, how do I go about getting something I can afford? Like, is there anything in the $100 range? Really what I want is the $50 range but that doesn't sound realistic, but I don't know-

I just want something simple I can use to go to Appleseed with, and train some on- I can get all fancy later-

Thanks [smile]

I'd like to know where to get the rifle for $10 [smile]

Seriously, how do I go about getting something I can afford? Like, is there anything in the $100 range? Really what I want is the $50 range but that doesn't sound realistic, but I don't know-

I just want something simple I can use to go to Appleseed with, and train some on- I can get all fancy later-

Thanks [smile]

I have seen 10/22's on this board for as little as $65... I have seen other .22 rifles on this board anywhere from $75-150. So keep a lookout on the WTS threads. Also you can get a brand new 10/22 for like $119 if I remember correctly so if you go to a place that has used ones you may be able to find one for $100 or so.

Best of luck on the search.

I have seen 10/22's on this board for as little as $65... I have seen other .22 rifles on this board anywhere from $75-150. So keep a lookout on the WTS threads. Also you can get a brand new 10/22 for like $119 if I remember correctly so if you go to a place that has used ones you may be able to find one for $100 or so.

Best of luck on the search.

That's not too bad. Thank you for the info, that really helps [grin]

Back
Top Bottom