The Liberty Training Rifle

Ordered the Tech-Sights for the wifes LTR. Nothing like waiting until the last minute[thinking]
I did the bolt release mod today. I was going to stone the hammer but found that the hammer in the newer rifles is different so I stayed away. The trigger pull on this one is a lot worse than the last carbine I bought. Hopefully she won't notice.

I forgot I need some sling swivels. Anyone doing a Midway order that I can piggyback on? Last time I was at Dick's they only had 1" QDs no 1 1/4".

There is not much of a difference in length between the extended mag release and the mag release on the newer 10/22s. I think the difference was about an 1/8 of an inch. On the older models the difference was huge, you needed to grow your nails to release the magazine.

So, if anyone replaces one of these newer ones, and wants to have it go to a good home: FIRST DIBS!!!! [smile]

So, if anyone replaces one of these newer ones, and wants to have it go to a good home: FIRST DIBS!!!! [smile]

i have an aftermarket one floating around, since i was going to replace the stock one, but i found i kinda like it (newer type). if i can find it, and you wanna pm me your address, ill do my best to get it out to you.

I finally got around to putting the VQ hammer in one of my LTR's this morning. My GOD it's like night and day! It feels lighter than my Ruger MkIII bullseye gun with a VQ drop in sear. I did some dry firing going back and forth between both guns. Now I need to order another one or build up the courage to stone my spare hammer to "fix" the other one. Can't wait to give it a spin next weekend at Harvard.

I finally got around to putting the VQ hammer in one of my LTR's this morning. My GOD it's like night and day! It feels lighter than my Ruger MkIII bullseye gun with a VQ drop in sear. I did some dry firing going back and forth between both guns. Now I need to order another one or build up the courage to stone my spare hammer to "fix" the other one. Can't wait to give it a spin next weekend at Harvard.

I picked up a cheap 10/22 from the early 80s, and the trigger pull was like dragging sandpaper on a string. I opened up the trigger assembly and it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the early 80s. I took all the parts out, hosed them down with Gun Scrubber, wiped them down, and reassembled with a VQ hammer and bolt release.

The rifle now has a sweetest sub 3lb trigger and runs like a champ.

Best $250 (rifle, tech sights, VQ package & Tapco stock) I've ever spent...

Jon, I might have some spare swivels with me when I come down.

I sent an order in to Midway last week, should be here tomorrow or Wed.

Thanks Roger.
My wife's LTR is done now except the swivels. Tech-Sights came today.
If you got them, bring them. I'm going to check one more local place but I doubt they'll have them. And if they're surplus to your needs right now, I'll even buy them off you.

JonJ,

I was able to find a swivel kit at the walmart in hudson, nh...i was surprised to see the uncle mikes kit on the side wall rack next to counter. bought one
kit for mark down price of $7 bucks. Left two on the rack. i knew I should have bought the remaining sets for other needy NES'rs. Hope the info helps

ive been working on a LTR and hope to sign up last minute for the appleseed event at HSC... hoping to participate both days.

dave

Thanks, Dave! I'll check the local WalMart this week. Maybe I'll luck out. Dick's has them but only the 1" size.

DPMA Garand Web Slings appear to be discontinued according to MidwayUSA. They are no longer on DPMS' online store either.

I'd appreciate recommendations for good, cheap alternatives to buy online.

DPMA Garand Web Slings appear to be discontinued according to MidwayUSA. They are no longer on DPMS' online store either.

Midway has some CJ branded web slings. They're a few bucks more, but appear to be the same concept. I haven't tried them yet, but probably will order one or two next time I order from Midway. Some other places still have various web slings available as well.

Midway has some CJ branded web slings. They're a few bucks more, but appear to be the same concept. I haven't tried them yet, but probably will order one or two next time I order from Midway. Some other places still have various web slings available as well.

I have one on order. I'll let you know how it works out.

It will work for what it is, but Appleseed is really geared toward a Garand sling, not a 1907. You'll learn more if you come with the "normal" sling and can follow along with everyone else.

Midway used to have a DPMS one that I have a couple of but it's been discontinued. They have this one now, but it's out of stock at the moment: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=966254

If you search "garand sling" on eBay there are many listed though. Just a thought.

Appleseed's geared towards making hits. [smile]

Both slings do just fine doing that.

Garand sling might be a little easier to adjust, that's all.

E-Gunparts.com has a decent sling, that's what I'm buying these days. I find them even BETTER than the DPMS slings. $7.10 each in bulk. $10 each, if you get them from me at an Appleseed, because there's less change making involved. Just consider that $2.90 a donation to more loaners and loaner parts.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=984970&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

It will work for what it is, but Appleseed is really geared toward a Garand sling, not a 1907. You'll learn more if you come with the "normal" sling and can follow along with everyone else.

You apparently haven't been on the same Appleseed firing lines that I have. I'm a 1907 sling user myself, they work, and I like them. Cheryl prefers the web sling.

I also teach them AND the Garand web sling. (Both the 1907 and the web sling are used as loop slings.)

My loaner LTR's wear web slings, because they're $7.10 each in bulk, versus $30 each (my 1907 slings are Springfield Armory slings, great stuff). My PERSONAL rifles tend to wear 1907 slings.

Appleseed's geared towards making hits. [smile]

Both slings do just fine doing that.

Garand sling might be a little easier to adjust, that's all.

And, THERE is the bottom line. Hits (and only hits) count.

If we have to rig up some 550 cord for a sling, we'll do that.

Last edited:
Reese Surplus has Garand Slings by the Ton

I recently purchased a half dozen from Reese Surplus. Three each of nylon and cotton. The gal I spoke with said they had almost a metric butt ton of them. That's a lot, incase you aren't familiar w/the metric system.

Ok I am looking to pick up a Ruger 10/22 and want to set it up as an LTR. The model that I want is th 10/22-T which has no sights. I will order the TSR-100 Tech sights. Has anybody tried using the adapter for adding the front sight onto a bull barrel? The reason for looking at the 10/22-T is I like the fit & feel of it compared to the standard model.
BARRELADAPTORASSM-1.gif

Last edited:
I figured while I was waiting on the LTC process I'd kill some time working on a Liberty Training Rifle.

I really liked the M1 Carbine Conversion mentioned in this thread
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=543445&postcount=5

A couple weeks back I came across an M1 Carbine Stock, metal hand guard, sling, butt plate, and hardware on gunbroker.com for $60 +ship, it's all new Reproduction stuff so I won't feel the guilt of wrecking real M1 carbine stuff but, for a 10/22 based LTR it's perfect.
pix85465484.jpg

The stock needs to be finished, I found a good how to http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/stockfinish/index.asp I picked up some stain, Formby's Tung Oil, and 0000 steel wool the other day.

Questions if someone can help.

Are the Tech Sights TSR100 all I need for an LTR? Or is there a reason to get the TSR200?

The stock has been sitting a while ands needs to be cleaned, has finger print / oil spots on it. Should I clean the stock with paint thinner before staining and tung oil or use the Easy-Off like they do in the How To even though the stock is unfinished?

I was thinking about using the late style barrel band with the bayonet lug (again a repro and the 10/22 barrel turned down a tad.). I am guessing that adding a lug is a violation of the Mass AWB but, if I grind the sides of the lug down so it won't accept a bayo would that be legal?

Thanks

Ok I am looking to pick up a Ruger 10/22 and want to set it up as an LTR. The model that I want is th 10/22-T which has no sights. I will order the TSR-100 Tech sights. Has anybody tried using the adapter for adding the front sight onto a bull barrel? The reason for looking at the 10/22-T is I like the fit & feel of it compared to the standard model.
BARRELADAPTORASSM-1.gif

I used the adapter on mine and it worked pretty good. You have to use locktite to hold it on the end of the barrel.

Are the Tech Sights TSR100 all I need for an LTR? Or is there a reason to get the TSR200?

I was thinking about using the late style barrel band with the bayonet lug (again a repro and the 10/22 barrel turned down a tad.). I am guessing that adding a lug is a violation of the Mass AWB but, if I grind the sides of the lug down so it won't accept a bayo would that be legal?

Cool project. I've thought about doing it to, but it's pretty far down the ol' time and money list. The TSR100 is fine. I don't see a reason to spend the extra money for the 200. If you were shooting at a bunch of different distances, it might be nice to have the elevation adjustment on the rear sight. Since you'll pretty much set and forget for 25M, it's not needed.

No problem adding the bayonet lug. You get one evil feature, so bayo lug is fine, as long as you don't add a pistol grip, folding stock, flash hider, or grenade launcher.

I prefer the 100 model sights, the rear sits a little lower so it's better cheek weld

Back
Top Bottom