The Liberty Training Rifle

Snowy Day Project

DSC_0456-1.jpg

Got most of the parts for my LTR. I was not impressed with the quality of the 10/22, lots of cheap and poorly fitted parts! Got the bolt release, trigger and target hammer from Volquartsen only to find out that I needed more parts. So the bolt release is installed, but the trigger and hammer will have to wait for another day. The newer 10/22s do not have separate bushings for the hammer, the hammer is now 1 complete assembly. Guess I'll be doing another order to either Brownells or Midway. I messed up slightly on the sling install for the front swivel. It's a little loose because I did not have the stock firmly set in the vice of the drill press. The sights were a snap to install, knocked out the old ones and slid in the Tech Sights.

Can't tell without seeing them - the sling that came with MY Mosin wasn't real adjustable for length, IIRC. Can you post a pic or two?

I finally managed to get some shots. Overall length looks to be around 50" and it is fairly adjustable from 33" to 44" w/o difficulty.

If it doesn't look like it will work out, I'd read here or one of the ltr threads that the fabric slings work out better for this than leather, BUT, would the slings Sandy(?) work well?

This is the overall sling along with the little leather straps and the detached swivels.

100_1982.jpg

Closeup of the ends

100_1983.jpg

And the swivel right on the sling for size.

100_1986.jpg

*sigh* It's not going to work, will it...

Well, it looks like it would work for a Hasty sling or a Hasty-Hasty sling. I don't see an adjustment on the forward part of the sling that you'd need for a loop sling. Have you tried ordering this from CTD?

ETR: I'm an idiot, and just noticed the roll pin. whoops!

Hopefully I should have this LTR all set up by the time patriots day rolls around....I can't afford to feed my sks.

Last edited:
I am going to get myself set up with an LTR in the next couple of weeks. I've got to get a couple of .22s so I can still shoot and not need a federal bailout because of my ammo costs. So, the LTR is first on my list.

I have been looking hard at getting a Marlin 795 rather than a 10/22 as they now have Tech Sights for the Marlins. They seem to be about $50 cheaper, come with synthetic stock, and have similar functions and accuracy. I wan't my LTR to be as inexpensive as possible as it will hopefully stay an LTR forever (so no need to have the customizability of the 10/22). I shoot lefty and want to get a nice bolt .22 set up down the road in which I'll spend a bit more on.

Any opinions on the 795? Has anyone seen them in MA on the shelves? Dick's doesn't seem to have them.

I am going to get myself set up with an LTR in the next couple of weeks. I've got to get a couple of .22s so I can still shoot and not need a federal bailout because of my ammo costs. So, the LTR is first on my list.

I have been looking hard at getting a Marlin 795 rather than a 10/22 as they now have Tech Sights for the Marlins. They seem to be about $50 cheaper, come with synthetic stock, and have similar functions and accuracy. I wan't my LTR to be as inexpensive as possible as it will hopefully stay an LTR forever (so no need to have the customizability of the 10/22). I shoot lefty and want to get a nice bolt .22 set up down the road in which I'll spend a bit more on.

Any opinions on the 795? Has anyone seen them in MA on the shelves? Dick's doesn't seem to have them.

I've never seen one up close, but looking at the specs it looks like it would do the trick. An auto-bolt hold open is a nice feature. The only areas the 10/22 really beats it is the flush magazines and possibly parts options out there.

Some of the RWVA Instructors swear by the Marlin.

I've yet to hear anything bad about them, with the possible exception of any difficulties putting sling swivels on the synthetic stock. That can be done, just have to a little searching and figure it out.

I've yet to hear anything bad about them, with the possible exception of any difficulties putting sling swivels on the synthetic stock. That can be done, just have to a little searching and figure it out.

Looking at the pic in this link it seems to come with sling studs already installed:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/795.asp

Sounds to me if you can get it for 150ish add tech sights for ~70 and you have a decent LTR for 220, about 100 dollars less than the average 10/22 LTR with all the recommended upgrades. I need to check one of these out sometime.

I recently picked up a Remington 597 for $179. I'm sure it can be found cheaper but I like to support the local shops. Out of the box, it has a decent trigger. It's shooting 1 ragged hole at 25 yards with CCI Standard Velocity. The 10 rnd magazines drop free when released and are only $11 locally. Has a last shot bolt hold open. This would make another great LTR if you scope it as there are no Tech Sights available for it.

I may pick up a set of Marlin Tech Sights (for my Marlin) and see how they fit on this rifle.

Well, looks like that problem (sling on the Marlin) is solved.

Looks like a good alternative, and as I said, I haven't heard anything bad about them yet, and have heard good things about them.

I have, on the other hand, seen and heard of Rem 597 issues. Not bashing them, just recommending doing a little research on the Appleseedinfo.org forum on them, along woth a few other places. One of our VT Instructor Team has one, and she's had several problems with it, including having the extractor come out.

IIRC, one of the folks at the NES dinner in Marlborough last night was bitching about his 597 and telling me how unreliable it was.

Guess you can get lemons in any brand.

Remington's quality overall the past few years (about 10 plus) has pretty much SUCKED.

I'm an old Remington bolt action fan (still have 3 of them), and I can tell you the new ones aren't half as good as the older ones. Much worse than the Win pre-64/post-64 difference, and that wasn't real good.

Thanks Jon. I saw your last post about that too. I am just waiting for my Appleseed forum registration to be approved before I can find/read it.

FYI, just got a quote from a local shop on the 795 and 10/22. The 795 was $75 less at $150. I suspect if you can find them in a big box store they may be even less.

Thanks Jon. I saw your last post about that too. I am just waiting for my Appleseed forum registration to be approved before I can find/read it.

FYI, just got a quote from a local shop on the 795 and 10/22. The 795 was $75 less at $150. I suspect if you can find them in a big box store they may be even less.

It's approved, but you have to activate it, and you haven't yet.

I remember when you couldn't swing a dead cat in a gun shop without hitting a used 10/22. But now no one seems to have them.
I figured KTP would have a rack full but they had none. Yankee Artifacts is supposed to have them but once you pay sales tax and shipping and a dealer transfer you've added $60.00 or more.
So I checked with my gunsmith and Davidson's had 20 of them at 8:00 yesterday at by 3:00 were sold out. He got one for me.
I considered a Marlin 795 but everyone seems to be out of stock on magazines.
So the 10/22 is on its way. Ordered the sling, swivels, extended mag release, Butt Plate pad, Volquartsen Bolt Release and Target Hammer kit, extra hammer bushing, sight adjustment tool and four extra magazines from Brownell's and Midway. And the TSR 100 from Tech-SIGHTS of course.

I remember when you couldn't swing a dead cat in a gun shop without hitting a used 10/22. But now no one seems to have them.
I figured KTP would have a rack full but they had none. Yankee Artifacts is supposed to have them but once you pay sales tax and shipping and a dealer transfer you've added $60.00 or more.
And they won't even let you pick up the shop any more, which they sometimes used to do. Even with the $25 transfer charged by my FFL, that still brings it up to $165... and one new at Dick's is $199 - and with a $20 off coupon from the Coach's packs, that brings it down to a $15 difference for a new rifle. [thinking]

Ordered the sling, swivels, extended mag release, Butt Plate pad, Volquartsen Bolt Release and Target Hammer kit, extra hammer bushing, sight adjustment tool and four extra magazines from Brownell's and Midway. And the TSR 100 from Tech-SIGHTS of course.

There is not much of a difference in length between the extended mag release and the mag release on the newer 10/22s. I think the difference was about an 1/8 of an inch. On the older models the difference was huge, you needed to grow your nails to release the magazine.

There is not much of a difference in length between the extended mag release and the mag release on the newer 10/22s. I think the difference was about an 1/8 of an inch. On the older models the difference was huge, you needed to grow your nails to release the magazine.

Yes I ordered the mag release thinking I was going to find a used gun. So I may not need it this time around

Yes I ordered the mag release thinking I was going to find a used gun. So I may not need it this time around

The older 10/22s are so much nicer than the new ones. I'm debating if I should spend money on replacing everything or looking for an older one. I was at the range the other day with someone that had an older model. His rifle out shot mine even though we both had similar set ups. It was not the case of the shooter, because we swapped rifles as well.

Ordered my TSR 100 sights Monday and US mail delivered them yesterday (Wednesday).
Picked up the gun today (Friday). Installed the sights, swivels. Went to install the Volquartsen bolt release and hammer. Uh oh! Factory hammer and bushings are all one piece in this new gun. Changed bolt release and spring and ordered 2 needed bushings plus 2 additional from Brownells. Installed butt extension. Put back together and head to range. Works well with Federals did not seem to like CCI. Labeled all the magazines and tried them all with no failures. Waiting for bushings now.
Update: Bushing came in, installed hammer, bushings and the two shims. 3 lb. trigger now.

DSC_1557.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone buy a 10/22 recently? It appears a few minor changes have been made to the design.

I just did two 10/22 to LTR conversions for some friends today with their brand new rifles and couldn't install the Voltquartsen Target Hammer because the new Ruger hammer has the bushings replaced with a hammer that is molded to have this shape. I guess I will need to see if Ruger will send me some bushings. The inside of the action was much cleaner too, it looks like they discontinued applying the finish to the inside so it no longer flakes.

Anyone buy a 10/22 recently? It appears a few minor changes have been made to the design.

I just did two 10/22 to LTR conversions for some friends today with their brand new rifles and couldn't install the Voltquartsen Target Hammer because the new Ruger hammer has the bushings replaced with a hammer that is molded to have this shape. I guess I will need to see if Ruger will send me some bushings. The inside of the action was much cleaner too, it looks like they discontinued applying the finish to the inside so it no longer flakes.

Take a look at this, scroll down to the "NOTICE!....NOTICE!....NOTICE!!!" You can get the bushings here.

Back
Top Bottom