The Moisin Nagant 44 Club

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I joined yesterday. My uncle bought a couple from Collectors and gave me one. I'd post a pic, but it looks like all the others that have already been posted. The rifle is in beautiful condition.

What method and tools do you all use to swab the corrosive crap out of the bore after firing?

I use a black powder cleaner called "Black Solve" with good results and followed up with a normal cleaning. The black powder cleaner is a mix of detergent and water soluble oil.

Ammonia based cleaners are recommended. I think MilSurp4Me has posted some pictures showing how he does it. I do remember that the Ammonia gets all the oil out of the barrel and action and it's important to clean and oil the rifle right afterwards.

Gary

I joined yesterday. My uncle bought a couple from Collectors and gave me one. I'd post a pic, but it looks like all the others that have already been posted. The rifle is in beautiful condition.

What method and tools do you all use to swab the corrosive crap out of the bore after firing?

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=6140[wink]

M Pro 7 I've been told is a good cleaner but I still use window cleaner followed up by my now favorite... Kroil.
Just make sure to clean your equipment after as well. This includes brushes, patch holders, jags, cleaning rods, etc. with water because they too will hold salt deposits and can transfer them to your other rifles. After rusting a cleaning rod, I now swish my gear in water, blot it dry, wipe down the rods and blast the brushes with Gun Scrubber.

Enjoy the fireball of the M44, sksboards.com has a thread either in the pics section or in the surplus section about Mosin fireballs, some look to be about 4 feet long.[shocked]

I filled an oiler bottle with Windex and keep that along with a bunch of patches and a cleaning jag in a Tupperware container in my range bag. Not too worried about the oiler bottle leaking but if it does the Tupperware will keep the stuff from geting anywhere but on the patches.

When I'm done for the day, I pull the bolt and pour some of the Windex through the barrel, follow up with a couple passes with Windex-soaked patches.

Follow that up with a good shot of CLP and then bring it home for a proper cleaning.

Does anyone know if the corrosiveness of the ammo is acid or alkali based? I didn't do all that well in science back in the day, but it seems that if it was acid based you could make a baking soda cleaning solution, or if it's alkali you could use lemon juice or vinegar...or I could be way out in left field on this one.

Not the greatest pic (pulled from video). Me shooting one of my M44's. Very fun shooters.

M44BLAST.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club, Jim! What's the make of yours?

My M-44 is hungarian
http://7.62x54r.net/

Should be able to find all you need here, if it isn't one of the better-known makes.

I personally prefer the Carbine Mosin Nagants, and it never hurts to always have a bayonet on-hand [wink]

Arrrrr

-Weer'd

Welcome to the club !

I do the Windex thing too, (At the range) I pull the bolt and give it a couple of squirts too.

Then WD-40 to dry things out until I get it home. Then a good thorough scrubbing.

Lather, rinse, repeat. [smile]

I pour windex down the barrel using a funnel and hose, and use a little bit on the bolt face, then M7pro and other standard cleaners to clean.

Thats it... M44 goodness with flame throwing love at this shoot. A line of shooters firing M44s in unison!
I'm definitely bringing mine:

M44a.jpg

M44.jpg

The M44 is the ultimate firearm for shoots. Cheap to shoot and let everyone else go at it too, and if you melt the barrel, just buy a new one. At the NES shoot, I think the Serbu was the only one out whoompfing my M44. Actually, that and EddieCoyle's +++P+++ .500 S&W loads.

Seeing your M44 makes me wanna pick up a laminated example of each Mosin.

Am I correct in thinking that a 91/30 (which, I'm told, has less recoil than the M44) still has more recoil than a Garand?

Reason I ask is that my orthopedic surgeon suggested yesterday that it wouldn't be a real smart idea to be shooting something with even more recoil than the M1 right now - I'm starting therapy for tendonitis in my right shoulder. [crying]

I guess I'll just have to keep saving up for my .44 Magnum... my wrists are just fine.

Not much more recoil than a Garand but it will bruise a shoulder.
Recoil pads are still the way to go with shooting surplus rifles IMO. My shoulder pad from Cabelas absorbs most recoil from any bolt action carbine.

I have never shot any of my milsurps with a recoil pad. Even the M44is manageable.

Dislocate a shoulder in a car accident, wait a few years, develop some arthritis in it, and every year after that an M44 on a t-shirt covered shoulder hurts a little more each day.[sad]
Thats why I wear a recoil pad.
Even Ivan had a thick Russian coat on.[grin]

Not to hijack this thread but.... I'm looking for a good shoulder recoil pad. My shotgun
and 30-06 are beginning to be felt long after the fun at the range or hunting. Any
recommendations? I'm a lefty.

TBP

Not to hijack this thread but.... I'm looking for a good shoulder recoil pad. My shotgun
and 30-06 are beginning to be felt long after the fun at the range or hunting. Any
recommendations? I'm a lefty.

TBP

This is what I use: http://www.cabelas.com/spod-1/0012758.shtml
Are you going to the car shoot? If so I'll let you try mine. Even though I'm right handed you can still get an idea of how it works.

Back
Top Bottom