The Price Gouging/Everything Shortage Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
40 years? Were you there for the bubble? I bought a 3 Decker for 117k and it sold for 277k five years later.

price gouger.

honestly, I dont understand the concept. If I wanted an AR and could not find one and someone in the classifieds had one at a price I was willing to pay......I would think he was doing me a favor. If I thought it was too much I would either move on or offer what i thought it was worth.

I own a certain beautifull russian SKS. I love it and would not let it go for less than $1200. The market says its not worth that so i am keeping it.
It is worth more to me than the market is willing to pay.... .....simple as that.

Last edited:
I know what your saying. But I can't compare a steady 40 year increase of real estate values to an overnight 300% markup on a $10 mag. I've never bought an AR mag. thinking I could flip it in 40yrs for 20 times the value. And I agree with sitting it out. I'm petty much all set myself. But if you weren't, would you pay the "insane" prices? Would it leave a bad taste in your mouth?
Not arguing just my opinion.

While I hate it all it means is that the seller and buyer agree on the price. Right now you are hedging against possible future regulation. Whether or not its worth paying inflated prices to hedge that bet is up to individual buyers. If nothing happens you are out a few hundred bucks. If something does happen what you buy may turn out to be virtually priceless.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=322549410

maseUGLYface.gif

Just came from A&J Sporting in Housatonic. Joe's got quite a bit on his shelves right now, including AR and variants in most calibers. I picked up an M1A for just over $100 under the MSRP. Just don't call him on the phone, he won't answer if there's a customer waiting for help in the store.

dumb mistake , always answer the phone,politely excuse yourself ,and bring in more customers,
. you already have the customer in the store ,when you hang up ,treat them well.(but you know how much free advice is worth[grin])

Last edited:
I'm watching that auction. Amazing what people will pay.

The way I see playing out is two ways.

#1) restrictive ban goes into effect, no more magazines with over 30 rounds past a certain date. Price of mags, ARs and other equipment climbs.

#2) new rules focus on people vs the hardware. Since AR market flooded, prices drop like a rock.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

I stopped by Shooters Outpost today. A week ago, they had a bunch of low-end shotguns (I bought one of them). Today, I didn't see any except a pink one. I suspect people are buying shotguns since they can't buy any EBR's. The high-end shotguns were still there. Their selection of shotgun shells was rather sad, but Riley's had a decent amount so I picked up a case for practice.

Otherwise it was the usual slim pickings for ammo. For some reason I'm not seeing much .22 ammo. I can't find the Federal Value Pack that I usually like to buy (cycles through GSG-5 perfectly).

I was pleasantly surprised at Bullseye in Woonsocket where I went today to stock up on components as I expect to be reloading a lot more often than I used to. I believe one of the outcomes of this latest catastrophe is there will be no more Russian ammo imported, and that mail order ammo will be prohibited.

Anyway, while I had to wait in line behind several newbies buying their first gun (I didn't mind this at all), all the powder was priced the same as it always had been. I thanked the owner for not gouging the regulars.

Back in the 1960s, some mfrs "price-fixed" what dealers could sell stereo equipment for and if they found you deviating from their pricing strategy (especially if you sold it lower) they dropped you and black-balled you from ever selling their product again. ...... Eventually the Feds ruled that price fixing on most consumer goods was illegal.

Yes, but price fixing by a specific manufacturer is still very widespread and action in not generally taken except for very mainstream mass marketed products (about 20 years ago, I got $50 or so in a class action suit regarding MGA TV price fixing).

Just try discounting Oakley products or Surefire below absolute full retail and see how long you remain an authorized distributor.

It has been so hard not to jump into the fray and panic buying...thankfully i am spending all my extra cash on gifts for others.
Thank you Lord Baby Jesus Christ and Happy Birthday!!!!!

If we are talking MAP, I don't know many mfgs that don't have a policy in place. If you sell below that, how the hell do they know? Do they get reports of what each item sold for? Not being snarky, just curious.

Simple, when you register your purchase, they ask you where you got it and what you paid. You don't have to answer, of course, but I'm sure that some people do. I don't often register things, tinfoil hat whatever, but when I do(for example, $400 Oakley prescription glasses that were custom ordered and come with a replacement warranty) they require you to tell them where you bought them and what you paid.

FWIW, Oakley is really expensive, but they make some very good stuff. I wouldn't buy their sunglasses, but they are one of a very small number of companies still making high quality, durable rimless glasses.

ETA: I don't think they mind that sellers have sales, but if you get into an aggressive discounting scenario, you impair the exclusivity of the brand, and then other people won't want to spend $300 on your product. One of the reasons dealers won't post prices online is that they don't want to lose their franchise by breaching the contract.

Last edited:
i have been looking for a 9mm berreta px4 storm forever.... found one finally today for a grand..... really i had to find it now... when its full retard..... I will likely buy it i am a shmuk

Cerfur, I've gotten a few great deals on guns. I've also overpaid for a few. In the long run it's probably a wash. The ones I overpaid for I don't worry about. I wanted them, I had the money, and I've enjoyed them. If they turned out to be lemons, or I really hated them, I might feel bad. Looking back, I don't regret buying them. The pleasure they've given me has overshadowed the cost.

If you really want the PX4 and you've got the cash, buy and enjoy.

I guess I'll never be one of those people that dies leaving a fortune hidden in their garage or cellar. Hopefully I'll go out with a satisfied smile. [grin]

Last edited:
Before you spout off the "price gouging" thing,you should look up the definition and educate yourself.

Or are you one of those "capitalism is great until you are on the wrong end of it" type of folks ?

NES members are price gouging too. Take a look at the Classifieds. I saw a MP lower for 290. WTF?

I launched a gun up for sale (not here). Posted it up for 14% more than I paid for it (of which a % is going to cover costs anyways), no reserve, the rest is up to the market....

The market is working. [rofl]

I was at Village Sports today and the rifle wall was bare. There are still a few Saiga 12s left though, can't understand why no one has bought them.

I do for a fact know that distributors have gone way up on their pricing. One shop ordered 3 WASR10s and has to sell them for $900 just to make a slim profit.

Anyone look at 223 on Gunbroker lately? F'ng morons paying $1 per round should have their heads examined.

Last edited:
How long before the newbies buying 1500.00 ar15s figure out its cost to much to feed them unless you have stashed ammo or can reload on the cheap and there is a massive sell off of ARs ?

Unless the new laws forbid selling and transferring them

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

I was at Village Sports today and the rifle wall was bare. There are still a few Saiga 12s left though, can't understand why no one has bought them.

I do for a fact know that distributors have gone way up on their pricing. One shop ordered 3 WASR10s and has to sell them for $900 just to make a slim profit.

Anyone look at 223 on Gunbroker lately? F'ng morons paying $1 per round should have their heads examined.

Shop I was at today has wasr's incoming... They'll be 1100.

I had 5 stripped lowers I'd been gathering parts for when all this went down. I still needed some stuff to finish them off, which thankfully I was able to get.
Now, one of my builds was a noveske n4. I stuck it up on gb with an lpk and buffer tube for a ridiculous price. I don't expect it to sell, but if it does, god save the queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom