The Price Gouging/Everything Shortage Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect this is as usual fear of MA law issue. It's not worth most companies hiring an attorney to determine what is and is not legal to ship - so they just ship nothing to MA. That's pretty much how MA wants it.

I order from midway all the time - uppers, mags, barrels, parts, etc. and they usually ship the next day to me in VA.

Huh? The gun shop IS your friend. YOU want a gun. THEY want money. YOU give them money and THEY give you a gun. If you were not better off for doing the transaction, then you wouldn't do it.

All this talk of getting "taken advantage" and "gouging" and "fairness" is jargon that's usually reserved for anti use. Free markets work.

I agree. But like I said before its a ethical issue in my eyes. It's there business they can do what they want. And so can I. Business', like Remsport, that are not raising prices will get my business when things calm down. Those who take advantage, will not get my return business.

And thats Capitalism my friends.

I went to Zero Hour today to get a WASR and they wanted $1250. Oh well I still have $700 in my wallet

Crap. I'd been planning on heading down after Xmas for a while but at damn near double what they were asking a few weeks ago I'm keeping my $$. All thanks to one lousy douchebag.

I agree. But like I said before its a ethical issue in my eyes. It's there business they can do what they want. And so can I. Business', like Remsport, that are not raising prices will get my business when things calm down. Those who take advantage, will not get my return business.

And thats Capitalism my friends.

THIS! Every business has a right to charge whatever they want, however, blatant price gouging may equal more profits now, but it may hurt the business once thing quite down.

I'm guilty of panic buying myself, but it is full retard out there....there's a preban for sale for 4K

If you don't pay and give into the ridiculous prices.. they'll just come down.. I'm only buying stuff that I find is similar in price to what it was before everything went FR.

Officer, I wasn't texting and driving, I was posting on NES using Tapatalk

A number of companies, Midway and Cheaper than Dirt among them got caught up in a Ma. DA Sting operation. I think Tom Riley was DA at the time. They were shipping stuff to minors(Cross bows and such) and not getting signatures from adults or something like that. To avoid prosecution they signed a document stating they would no longer ship certain products to ma. Info is out there somewhere.

I went to Zero Hour today to get a WASR and they wanted $1250. Oh well I still have $700 in my wallet

Damn. Makes me wish I picked up the Arsenal AK I was drooling over there a few months back. It was priced around $1100 at the time. It's probably going for over $2k now.

"Taking advantage?" Seriously?

Their price isn't hidden. If you don't like it, don't pay it. This is simply supply and demand. Supply can't change very quickly but demand has spiked up dramatically. As a result, price has gone up and will stay up until and unless supply increases and/or demand decreases. If you, as a seller, choose to sell below market, that is your choice. But it is not somehow morally "better" than someone who chooses to sell at full market value.

Consider the machine gun market - what has happened since the 1986 ban on the sale of new machine guns? Has the price gone down? Don't think so.

Will the future be the same as the aftermath of the 1994 assault weapons ban or the 1986 machine gun ban? You are assuming the former and thus asserting that people are being taken advantage of. But the reality is that none of us know the future and even if we did know the future, those people still aren't being cheated.

Some folks here believe in free markets just as much as Obama believes in the 2nd Amendment.

About 10 years ago, long after the 94 ban went into effect, a friend of mine (who has since passed), told me that he was selling his Valmet 76 tube folder and would sell it to me for $600. That was what he paid for it, but as a kitchen table FFL he knew it was worth quite a bit more. Am I grateful that he chose to sell it to me at that price? I sure am. But I would not think less of him if he had chosen to sell it at full price.

Last edited:
I suspect this is as usual fear of MA law issue.

This. Midway (and some other distributers) do not deal well with MA, CA, and other states with restrictive firearm laws. Ain't gonna change, might even get worse in the near future. Only way to get around it is to find another distributer, or get a different home address. [thinking]

I had good luck with Midway this past week. Got several AR parts and all have shipped.

That sucks about your experience. Maybe I might take a little more caution when dealing with them.

Their price isn't hidden. If you don't like it, don't pay it. This is simply supply and demand. Supply can't change very quickly but demand has spiked up dramatically. As a result, price has gone up and will stay up until and unless supply increases and/or demand decreases. If you, as a seller, choose to sell below market, that is your choice. But it is not somehow morally "better" than someone who chooses to sell at full market value.

Consider the machine gun market - what has happened since the 1986 ban on the sale of new machine guns? Has the price gone down? Don't think so.

Will the future be the same as the aftermath of the 1994 assault weapons ban or the 1986 machine gun ban? You are assuming the former and thus asserting that people are being taken advantage of. But the reality is that none of us know the future and even if we did know the future, those people still aren't being cheated.

Some folks here believe in free markets just as much as Obama believes in the 2nd Amendment.

Obviously you did not read my post or comprehend it. That is exactly what free markets are about. They sell what they want to sell. I buy what I want to buy from whom I want to buy from. I fail to understand what you don't get.

Don't get so bitter.

I am in MA, have an FFL and Midway will not ship anything they "think" might be restricted to me. No muzzle loaders....no components of any kind, etc. They aren't the only ones that won't ship to a FFL holder in MA either. They all have some sort of cranial/rectal dysfunction I guess....

I am in MA, have an FFL and Midway will not ship anything they "think" might be restricted to me. No muzzle loaders....no components of any kind, etc. They aren't the only ones that won't ship to a FFL holder in MA either. They all have some sort of cranial/rectal dysfunction I guess....

Our laws are so jacked up here, the have no clue whats going on.

That, and I am sure our beautiful AG has probably sent several threatening letters. They feel the risk to benefit ration is balanced the other way. Sucks because we always get the short end of the stick.

Read post 19 there in lies the problem. It was quite a while ago and I can't find anything on the net about it. But I was big into Black Powder at the time and it became a hot topic. I think there were as many as five or six companies that got caught up in this. They signed a legal document (can't remember name it was called) to never sell certain products in Ma. again.

About 10 years ago, long after the 94 ban went into effect, a friend of mine (who has since passed), told me that he was selling his Valmet 76 tube folder and would sell it to me for $600. That was what he paid for it, but as a kitchen table FFL he knew it was worth quite a bit more. Am I grateful that he chose to sell it to me at that price? I sure am. But I would not think less of him if he had chosen to sell it at full price.
Want to sell it for 700?

[QUOTE="Serapis;]

Don't get so bitter.[/QUOTE]

Me? Bitter? [rofl][rofl2] Talk about reading and comprehension failure.

Dude, you are just so precious.

Last edited:
I used to buy reloading stuff from Midway until they started bending me over with shipping charges and I found better places to buy from. I unsubscribed from their mailing list and will no longer do business with them. If they don't want part of my order they won't get any of it.

Obviously you did not read my post or comprehend it. That is exactly what free markets are about. They sell what they want to sell. I buy what I want to buy from whom I want to buy from. I fail to understand what you don't get.

What you fail to understand is what you yourself wrote.

But like I said before its a ethical issue in my eyes. It's there business they can do what they want. And so can I. Business', like Remsport, that are not raising prices will get my business when things calm down. Those who take advantage, will not get my return business.

It isn't an ethical issue and they aren't taking advantage. It is a free market. They set their prices. The market will determine whether or not their prices are fair. And right now, the market is such that demand greatly exceeds supply, therefore the price goes up.

Go take microeconomics 101 or read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Microeconomics-Mcgraw-Hill-Paul-Samuelson/dp/0073344230

Selling an item at market price and making a profit isn't unethical or taking advantage of people.

Last edited:
Man all I got to say is I made a lot of smart impulse buys in the last couple months. It's completely insane/entertaining to see what things are selling for, especially the Kel Tec KSG!!!! That one tops all the crazyness!

Man all I got to say is I made a lot of smart impulse buys in the last couple months. It's completely insane/entertaining to see what things are selling for, especially the Kel Tec KSG!!!! That one tops all the crazyness!

$2500+

[laugh]

It certainly isn't worth that much to me, but it is their money.

Making my list, checking it twice. Gonna find out who's naughty or nice...

Many of us have long memories; once the frenzy is over, we will remember the shops that kept their prices down (Riley's, Brownell's etc) as well as the ones who took clever approaches to keep people from wiping out their inventory and profiteering (SKDTactical). These people will get my business after things settle down, assuming there is a firearms industry left after January.[sad]

Then there are the dealers who caved in and stopped selling anything scary (Dick's, maybe Cheaper Than Dirt) or that took this opportunity to make a killing (shall not be named). We'll remember them also.[angry]

There are 2 LGS in NH where I will not shop. Hopefully that list will not grow in the coming weeks.

What you fail to understand is what you yourself wrote.

It isn't an ethical issue and they aren't taking advantage. It is a free market. They set their prices. The market will determine whether or not their prices are fair. And right now, the market is such that demand greatly exceeds supply, therefore the price goes up.

Go take microeconomics 101 or read this book: http://www.amazon.com/Microeconomics-Mcgraw-Hill-Paul-Samuelson/dp/0073344230

I think you are having a problem with what exactly the situation going on is?

Again, they can charge what they want and I can buy what I want from whom I want.

I feel what they do is unethical because I have a different feeling about why there is a surge in prices. Not all business' are selling products at increased prices. Why is that? At some point they might have to if there dealer prices go up.

I understand free markets. I have taken economics in college. I get the concept.

All you did was highlight why I won't buy from certain dealers. I will repeat, "they can charge what they want and I can buy what I want from whom I want." Maybe you are the one that needs to read the book.

- - - Updated - - -

No need to argue on the internet. Dumb.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom