The public schools suck thread.

Just your town's? Not county/state?

You are going soft Jose.

Also, put me down for a saw-buck[laugh]
Not to brag, but the last time I went to a 600 yard prone match, I went with two friends. One was (just retired) one of the snipers on the Mansfield PD and the other is a firearms instructor and sniper for the OH Dept of Corrections and Rehabilitation. I shot 19 points higher than the closest of them both.

"If someone points a gun at you just stick your finger in the barrel. If they pull the trigger the gun will blow up in their face."

"If someone points a gun at you just stick your finger in the barrel. If they pull the trigger the gun will blow up in their face."

Who told you that? Bugs Bunnsy? lol

Well seeing as this topic is a train wreck...I will do whatever is in my power to shut it down...

Busta.gif

"I have countless hours of training from (insert competitive shooting sport here)..."

"I open carry because it deters violent crime."

"Don't ever keep one in the pipe...just in case the bad guy snatches it from your hand"

Who is this bad guy, Jet Li? Is he going to disassemble it before my eyes?

Which friend of yours is going to hold them back to make sure they're not on top of you when you draw?

"I only carry when I'm going someplace where I don't feel safe."

+1

Anything posted on the matter of open carry by a certain banned member.

This guy?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/members/1988-AntiqueWeapons.org

Despite my personal objections to it, I do believe that this interpretation of the wording of the MGL's is correct.

"Do you really feel the need to carry while <insert activity here>."

Fixed it for ya.

"You don't need a spare mag. If you can't do it with 2 or 3 rounds you have bigger things to worry about."

+1 for one of my favorite pieces of carry nonsense. I'd like to know what these bigger things are that people refer to when they say this.

I'm willing to bet that at LEAST 50% of the members of NES are better trained than most cops...

I disagree. Plinking, concealing firearms-related purchases from wives and parroting catch phrases isn't training.

I beat every single sniper in the USMC western division at long range shooting. [grin]

Remind me not to try and kick you in the nuts from 1,000 yards. [grin]

Just curious - what's your opinion on private school teachers?

There should be no public education. It should all be private. The school can get rid of the shitty teachers and they teachers don't suck up 80% of their highest salary from the tax payers when they retire after 30 years.

There should be no public education. It should all be private. The school can get rid of the shitty teachers and they teachers don't suck up 80% of their highest salary from the tax payers when they retire after 30 years.

went to private school for HS myself, which was a great decision. Teachers there were payed, kept or dismissed based on 2 things, quality, and whether or not they happened to be a a Jesuit priest. Overall, the quality was much higher than the public option I had.

they teachers don't suck up 80% of their highest salary from the tax payers when they retire after 30 years.
Actually, it's 80% of the average of the last 3 years ... but there is the common clause of a teacher being allowed to choose a $5K boost in pay for one year - which they generally do shortly before retirement so it becomes the gift that keeps on giving.

Actually, it's 80% of the average of the last 3 years ... but there is the common clause of a teacher being allowed to choose a $5K boost in pay for one year - which they generally do shortly before retirement so it becomes the gift that keeps on giving.

Must be nice being able to retire after 30 years and have guaranteed money all while having it take an act of congress to fire you no matter how bad your product is.

I didn't read all 17 pages so I apologize in advance if this has been posted already but in a thread somewhere here on NES, one of the posters suggested that if you ever shoot someone in SD and you're a good shot, you should put a few in the wall behind the perp so your defense can be "I didn't mean to kill him, I'm just a really bad shot.....see, look at the wall behind him, I missed a few times too"

Digging the hole

Teachers’ pension benefits are a big part of the problem; they alone account for $13.6 billion in unfunded actuarial liabilities.

The average Massachusetts teacher’s salary was $60,029 in 2009, according to the PERAC report. Teachers hired after July 1, 2001 pay 11 percent of their earnings into the pension system, which means that these teachers may end up paying an average of about $6,600 into the retirement system per year.

Retired Massachusetts teachers, meanwhile, earned an average annual benefit of $35,750 last year. An immediate annual annuity of $35,750 from the national average teacher retirement age of 58 costs approximately $502,841 for Massachusetts men and women, according to Annuity Quick Quote. With a total of 89,788 teachers active in the workforce and 52,107 retired teachers receiving benefits in 2009, the gap between teacher pensions and contributions represents a major financial headache for the state.

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/newsletters10/Massachusetts_Pensions_in_Crisis.php
Good article here on the state of Massachusetts public pensions.

I predict that future generations of teachers, once they start paying 15% or more of their gross into the pension, and seeing benefits cut while retirement age minimums rise, will demand a private retirement system. I think we're seeing the last of the "good-retirement beneficiaries" leaving the ranks now. Oh, and they're reducing the health insurance benefit as well.

When I signed up I thought, "At least I have good health insurance". That didn't last long. I have to decide whether or not to continue teaching after 10 years, once I'm fully vested. There's absolutely zero financial incentive for career changers, since my pension benefit maxes out around $18K, and my Social Security will be reduced to offset that. I'd probably to better to take my $50K cash out of MTRB and go back to a private job.

When I signed up I thought, "At least I have good health insurance". That didn't last long
Us private sector types get ZERO employer contribution to medical once we retire. How does that compare to the current benefit retiring teachers get?

I disagree with this. Not everyone would be able to send their kids to a private school (obviously). The problem with this isn't about equality (although that argument can be made). It's that having a well educated society is good for society. So when I pay taxes that go to sending someone else's kids to school in addition to my own, it's an investment into our society. And I will see the returns from that investment in the form of a better educated populace that will be less likely to fall into the traps of politicians and others who would like to trick them into giving away power and rights.

Us private sector types get ZERO employer contribution to medical once we retire. How does that compare to the current benefit retiring teachers get?

Actually. I don't know what the retirees get. But everyone who retired the year they changed to GIC felt substantially sad. I don't think I can put enough years in to qualify for anything. I'm heading the Medicare route, I expect.

where did you get this information from???

And I will see the returns from that investment in the form of a better educated populace that will be less likely to fall into the traps of politicians and others who would like to trick them into giving away power and rights.

Heh, that's really working well. [wink]

Uhm, worst advice you ever got?

Nice you should ask. Here it is:

I disagree with this. Not everyone would be able to send their kids to a private school (obviously). The problem with this isn't about equality (although that argument can be made). It's that having a well educated society is good for society. So when I pay taxes that go to sending someone else's kids to school in addition to my own, it's an investment into our society. And I will see the returns from that investment in the form of a better educated populace that will be less likely to fall into the traps of politicians and others who would like to trick them into giving away power and rights.

How about this: all of you who get happy feelings from supporting a "well educated society" can donate freely as much as you want to the education of other people's children. Those of us who prefer to keep our money for ourselves or our own children will just as freely choose not to contribute. But you don't like that idea, do you? No, you want to force me to contribute so you can enjoy a "well educated society". I call that stealing, but liberals don't care and as they take my money for their causes they tell me I don't pay "my fair share".

Collectivism: it never ends.

where did you get this information from???

If I were a cynic, I'd suspect you were doubting me, however, that is indeed a fair question so I will answer it. Also, when I dug out the article, I found that the duration is often three years, not the one I mentioned in my original post.

The Boston Globe: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/05/01/local_teacher_benefits_strain_pension_fund/

Read the entire article to understand what I am talking about. It's curious that a pension is based on the three highest paid years of work, and the "temporary longevity bonus" some teacher contracts have negotiated are 3 years in duration.

If I were a cynic, I'd suspect you were doubting me, however, that is indeed a fair question so I will answer it. Also, when I dug out the article, I found that the duration is often three years, not the one I mentioned in my original post.

The Boston Globe: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/05/01/local_teacher_benefits_strain_pension_fund/

Read the entire article to understand what I am talking about. It's curious that a pension is based on the three highest paid years of work, and the "temporary longevity bonus" some teacher contracts have negotiated are 3 years in duration.

I dont work in public school, but I do work in private school, so I was really just looking for information, not trying to doubt you. Thanks.

How about this: all of you who get happy feelings from supporting a "well educated society" can donate freely as much as you want to the education of other people's children. Those of us who prefer to keep our money for ourselves or our own children will just as freely choose not to contribute. But you don't like that idea, do you? No, you want to force me to contribute so you can enjoy a "well educated society". I call that stealing, but liberals don't care and as they take my money for their causes they tell me I don't pay "my fair share".

No, I don't like that idea. Why? Because a well educated society is a better society. You're welcome to go live outside of society if you'd like, but as long as you expect to be a member of society, you're expected to help (to a reasonable extent) with keeping it going. Do you really think your life would be better if half of the country couldn't afford school for their kids? Do you not care about the society in which you raise your kids? I do. We can do a quick comparison of countries where kids are guaranteed an education and countries where they're not. I would choose to live in one of the countries where they are every single time, and that's not a coincidence.

So how about this: we vote on it and do what the majority thinks is best. Oh wait, that's already what we do.

Back
Top Bottom