The Tangled laws and revenue generation

So my first post has a sentiment of "cry baby" [crying]in it but I must vent. I took my 70 year old dad on his first grouse hunt in northern NH. We saw guys hunting dogs along the sides of the dirt roads where camp is (paper company land in Pittsburg) walking the road edges to get the flushes etc. I bird-dogged for dad and I got a few shots off but he wasn't as lucky. One afternoon I was showing him the area and roads when we decided to turn around before the Lake Francis dam. I spied a lone grouse standing just up a small cut and pointed it out to dad. He gets out slowly loads a shell and takes a shot at it. (a Decoy it turns out)"Stop" comes from the bushes and fish and game officer walks out and asks if he knows what he did wrong. dad just shrugged his shoulders. The officer says you discharged a firearm from a public way. Huh? we just passed 2 guys with dogs 200 yards back walking the road with dogs, I answered. Yeah that's OK he says they are past the gate. (the gate has a sign you can read only if you are going that way that reads "subject to gates etc. by the land trust). long story short, the man loses his hunting privileges for a year with a $120 fine. There was little to let you know that the "way" now became public and I think it has the smell of entrapment and by moral standards is a pretty lame use of fish and game personnel. Yes, by law we were wrong but the road all looked the same to any man's eyes. What a way to make a living! Does this really preserve and generate revenue for the state dis-positioning the hunter for a year? No purchases, license, travel ammo etc. etc. I have my doubts.

Back
Top Bottom