• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

there's safety, and then there's safety....

The first two minutes of every Youtube gun video is a needlessly grueling exercise in making sure the weapon is clear. Anyone else getting tired of this? I mean, come on! Drop the mag, rack the slide 5 times, stare down the empty magwell for 10 seconds from 3 different angles, then stare at the chamber for 5 seconds to see if the bullet fairy tries to slide one past you, and finally stick your finger in it! Jesus Christ. Why not stick your tongue in it next for that extra 2 millimeters of safety. Why not rack it back 10 times, then you'll be twice as safe. Better yet, SLOWLY shove a pencil back and forth up the barrel 7 times so you can be 1000% sure it's safe. And when you drop the mag initally, shouldn't you walk it into another room so none of the bullets will jump back into the chamber? Then finally when you THINK it's safe, maybe call the police and have an officer come verify that it is, in fact, empty. Geez, I feel like I should start wearing a kevlar helmet and level IV plates when I clean my Volquartsen.......

Drop the mag. Rack the slide. Eyeball the chamber. Don't point it at most humans. 10 seconds. Done deal.

We had a "Chief Range Safety Officer" screw up bad to cause a NO Handling of firearms or ammo while the lights are on.
i think the youtube "clear and safe " is more of CYA and some sort of "liability" thing?
Anyhow I grew up on "handle as always loaded"

They have to do that because there are too many asshats that don’t take the time to clear their guns. Unfortunately, our litigious environment doesn’t allow Darwinism to thrive.

I agree with this rant. I had some safety nazi call me out on an Instagram video, so I made more to roast them

Meh. When you're broadcasting to an unknown audience, you have to figure that there are clueless folks that will get it wrong.

When we do Hunter Ed, the simple act of passing a gun from one person to another is only a couple steps removed from the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace. Partly, it's because the importance of safety needs to be stressed, partly it's like the difference between a stage actor's having to "overact" so that the people in the cheap seats can see, as opposed to on a film, where you can have a close-up.

I'm sure all the gun experts going to YOUTUBE to LEARN have lots of experience with safe gun handling.

Just look at all the cops who blow their own nuts off.

Could you just imagine what would happed if a new gun owner field stripped a Glock without being shown in detail how to field strip it?

Google this:

"police officer shot himself today accidentally"

About 59,400,000 results (0.54 seconds)

"police officer shot himself in groin today accidentally"

About 1,490,000 results (0.51 seconds)

And, those are the people who are professional enough to handle a weapon.

I would suspect that there are even more civilians who accidentally shoot themselves than do cops.

People on youtube to need follow directions or else they would not be looking at youtube...

The kids below learned about the "Fire Challenge" on youtube...
You are suppose to douse yourself with rubbing alcohol and light yourself on fire.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hafDyzKkiDM

Don't even get me started on Tide Pods.

I hear they are delicious, though.

Rant:

3 / 10

It appears to have gotten much better the last couple of years. Presenters in older videos seem to be way more anal about safety checks, but if they didn't do it, the idiots on Youtube would make comments about it and probably report them. Apparently some people are weirdos who are bothered by a loaded gun in the video demo. Personally, I don't care whether the presenters did a safety check or is showing a loaded gun or not. No skin off my back.

Before I retired, my agency went full stupid on that front.

The procedure became: "With the muzzle in the clearing barrel, remove the magazine. Rack the action three times. Visually inspect the chamber. Look away, then visually inspect the chamber again. Physically check the chamber with your finger. Close the action."

Mind you, all that with the muzzle stuck in the clearing barrel (or blast-proof chamber). Usually in dim light. And with 9mm pistols and Colt SMGs, which don't allow anyone's pinky to actually feel a round even if it was chambered.

The first two minutes of every Youtube gun video is a needlessly grueling exercise in making sure the weapon is clear. Anyone else getting tired of this? I mean, come on! Drop the mag, rack the slide 5 times, stare down the empty magwell for 10 seconds from 3 different angles, then stare at the chamber for 5 seconds to see if the bullet fairy tries to slide one past you, and finally stick your finger in it! Jesus Christ. Why not stick your tongue in it next for that extra 2 millimeters of safety. Why not rack it back 10 times, then you'll be twice as safe. Better yet, SLOWLY shove a pencil back and forth up the barrel 7 times so you can be 1000% sure it's safe. And when you drop the mag initally, shouldn't you walk it into another room so none of the bullets will jump back into the chamber? Then finally when you THINK it's safe, maybe call the police and have an officer come verify that it is, in fact, empty. Geez, I feel like I should start wearing a kevlar helmet and level IV plates when I clean my Volquartsen.......

Drop the mag. Rack the slide. Eyeball the chamber. Don't point it at most humans. 10 seconds. Done deal.

This is because of dbags that downvote videos and destroy comments sections etc. Safety lard is unavoidable. Also bear in mind some videos might not necessarily be to same target audience... some sap might be making it for people he knows are noobs, and wants to keep reinforcing safety. I get it.

Also if you pay some attention, you'll noticed that more established guys doing srs business type stuff, if they talk safety, it's only a brief "hey this gun is unloaded (shows camera) done then does whatever he's going to do... not this 5 minute malthusian drill thing.

The first two minutes of every Youtube gun video is a needlessly grueling exercise in making sure the weapon is clear. Anyone else getting tired of this?

No, because I don't watch pedantic YouTube content creators who cater to other pedants and because I know how to fastforward videos.

Also if you pay some attention, you'll noticed that more established guys doing srs business type stuff, if they talk safety, it's only a brief "hey this gun is unloaded (shows camera) done then does whatever he's going to do... not this 5 minute malthusian drill thing.

This, most of the day-job gun YouTubers don't do whatever OP is complaining about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Follow the 4 safety rules and u will be good, no video needed

Those warnings may be annoying, but think of the millions of viewers out there, and many may be certified idiots. You're at least planting a seed in their little cerebrums about gun safety. Yeah, it can be overkill, so to speak, but suck it up. 2/10

OP. If it bothers you do much, just fast forward the video, past the safety stuff that has you all worked up.

Back
Top Bottom