Tips on getting unrestricted LTC in boston?

"Town hack" to dump residency for a month or two would be even better but more expensive unless you have facilities for that.
Is this the next Mill opportunity? Someone in a Bright Green town rents a couple bedrooms on a month to month basis to folks who need their unrestricted LTC...

Is this the next Mill opportunity? Someone in a Bright Green town rents a couple bedrooms on a month to month basis to folks who need their unrestricted LTC...
One property too easy to get shut down though. Would be more doable if someone had a bunch of itinerant dwellings on tap lol.

I believe to go the instructors route you are looking at $300 for the class and then another $50 to the state for the BfS cert
Alternatively expressed as "An amount about equal to one hour attorney time, and much more likely to get what you want than paying for 10+ hours of attorney time to bring a case".

If you hire an attorney be sure to ask a few questions:
  1. How many restriction appeals have you handled?
  2. What is your success rate?
  3. Have you handled appeals from district court - either appeals you bring, or ones brought by the other side against a case you won?
  4. How much do you charge through the district court hearing?
  5. How much do you charge if this gets elevated to a superior court appeal?
Be sure to make it clear you are talking about a restriction appeal. Denial appeals are tough to win. Restriction appeals are much harder, as the court will carefully review the testimony of a dedicated public safety professional and hero against an ordinary, unimportant, unconnected commoner who has this strange idea (s)he/it should be able to carry a gun and then render the pre-ordained decision.

The first thing you have to do is discard any idea that you will get equal protection under the law from the courts, or that the system is "fair". If you are not involved in the game it is easy to assume "I'll win because I am in the right". It does not work that way.

Last edited:
Where’s the cheapest apartments in MA within a green town?
Ok so assuming you’d need maybe 3-4 months rent, at $450/month for a place with your own utility bills would total roughly $1,350 to $1,800 to get your LTC if you’re in Boston and need to switch towns for a while.

If you’re living Boston, this shouldn’t be a big outlay for you.

Caveat: I’m not a lawyer and didn’t sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night…

758F744D-E158-40B9-BAD2-F21214F09DD4.jpeg

I know a guy, yet to be named, who rented a cubby hole at the Mill, got the FFL and got the LTC from Littleton (where they issue only no restrictions) because he then OWNED a business in Littleton. There may well be others. It's well worth the effort to be able to give Boston, and you too, Maura, the finger. Jack.

Maybe someone could setup a "boarding house" at The Mill for temporary residence of those from Boston who wan an LTC...

@one-eyed Jack here's another source of revenue generation for you!

:)

Maybe someone could setup a "boarding house" at The Mill for temporary residence of those from Boston who wan an LTC...

@one-eyed Jack here's another source of revenue generation for you!

:)
Well, the Mill is not zoned residential. The FFL angle is legal and proven to work. Jack.

Well, the Mill is not zoned residential. The FFL angle is legal and proven to work. Jack.
I'd suggest that the FFL/Littleton route will probably be more successful than the Instructor route. Not sure that instructor creds will get you an automatic unrestricted in Boston. I got my instructor certification and it certainly has its benefits, it didn't hurt me when applying for non-resident RI license although I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten it without it as well.

I'd suggest that the FFL/Littleton route will probably be more successful than the Instructor route. Not sure that instructor creds will get you an automatic unrestricted in Boston. I got my instructor certification and it certainly has its benefits, it didn't hurt me when applying for non-resident RI license although I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten it without it as well.
AG or town RI?

Town is shall issue, so there is no need for an "edge" in your application.

The AG is may issue and you need real documentation of something that makes you "different".
I didn't know towns were shall issue, although some seem to operate that way - plenty of others don't. As I said, I'm sure it didn't hurt but also would have got it without it.

I didn't know towns were shall issue, although some seem to operate that way - plenty of others don't. As I said, I'm sure it didn't hurt but also would have got it without it.
The real issue with towns is the willingness to accommodate non-residents and, at least for a while, some towns were adding extra requirements and ultra vires fees.

Last edited:
An LLC costs 500 in MA. Instructor cert is about 300...
Plus if we stick to the narrative,
LLC doesn't work and instructor cert works.
tumblr_mtg1q2yNy21s67vyfo8_r1_250.gifv

"Town hack" to dump residency for a month or two would be even better but more expensive unless you have facilities for that.
Big rush of NESers suggesting Mass towns with 1-2 month LTC turnaround
in 3...2...1...1...1...1...1...Bueller?...Bueller?...Bueller?...

Pretend that you are a liberal democrat and find a way to lie, cheat and steal. Jack.
A real liberal democrat would know in their bones how to lie, cheat and steal.

Perfect name for the business...wait for it...The Shotgun Shack!

One property too easy to get shut down though. Would be more doable if someone had a bunch of itinerant dwellings on tap lol.
Pretend to be an illegal alien ag. worker.

Saves time on those pesky identity/residence documents
during the LTC application process, too.

Where’s the cheapest apartments in MA within a green town?
Down by the river.
In a van.
(You know it's true).

Alternatively expressed as "An amount about equal to one hour attorney time, and much more likely to get what you want than paying for 10+ hours of attorney time to bring a case".

If you hire an attorney be sure to ask a few questions:
  1. How many restriction appeals have you handled?
  2. What is your success rate?
  3. Have you handled appeals from district court - either appeals you bring, or ones brought by the other side against a case you won?
  4. How much do you charge through the district court hearing?
  5. How much do you charge if this gets elevated to a superior court appeal?
Be sure to make it clear you are talking about a restriction appeal. Denial appeals are tough to win. Restriction appeals are much harder, as the court will carefully review the testimony of a dedicated public safety professional and hero against an ordinary, unimportant, unconnected commoner who has this strange idea (s)he/it should be able to carry a gun and then render the pre-ordained decision.

The first thing you have to do is discard any idea that you will get equal protection under the law from the courts, or that the system is "fair". If you are not involved in the game it is easy to assume "I'll win because I am in the right". It does not work that way.
It’s also worth noting you can (could at one time) go the instructor route with a lawyer written letter (think hour or two lawyer time) outside of the renewal process. Example get certifications (NRA and State BFS) and then letter written by lawyer requesting restrictions dropped submitted to licensing officer on the basis you are going to instruct and get the restrictions dropped before your renewal. Or after if you can’t pull it together in time. Different than trying to get restrictions dropped as part of the renewal process.

It’s also worth noting you can (could at one time) go the instructor route with a lawyer written letter (think hour or two lawyer time) outside of the renewal process. Example get certifications (NRA and State BFS) and then letter written by lawyer requesting restrictions dropped submitted to licensing officer on the basis you are going to instruct and get the restrictions dropped before your renewal. Or after if you can’t pull it together in time. Different than trying to get restrictions dropped as part of the renewal process.
But the Mill is also fun too.

So what sort of paperwork does it take to get an FFL registered? Guessing there is some federal background check like NICS that happens also.
If I understand it right, going the route of an FFL would have benefits too. Like ammo shipments in MA (outside of the one vendor I know that ships here).
I like the Idea of training, but probably wont be able to use that cert to make any money as a business.

I know a guy, yet to be named, who rented a cubby hole at the Mill, got the FFL and got the LTC from Littleton (where they issue only no restrictions) because he then OWNED a business in Littleton. There may well be others. It's well worth the effort to be able to give Boston, and you too, Maura, the finger. Jack.

So what sort of paperwork does it take to get an FFL registered? Guessing there is some federal background check like NICS that happens also.
If I understand it right, going the route of an FFL would have benefits too. Like ammo shipments in MA (outside of the one vendor I know that ships here).
I like the Idea of training, but probably wont be able to use that cert to make any money as a business.
There’s a TON of vendors who ship ammo to MA and you don’t need a FFL. Just need a LTC. So forget that “benefit” as it’s not needed to buy ammo online in MA

There’s a TON of vendors who ship ammo to MA and you don’t need a FFL. Just need a LTC. So forget that “benefit” as it’s not needed to buy ammo online in MA
And if you can afford $1800 for this, rent a cheap $450/month pad in a green town for a few months, get your LTC and close it down, notifying BPD of your move to Boston.

And if you can afford $1800 for this, rent a cheap $450/month pad in a green town for a few months, get your LTC and close it down, notifying BPD of your move to Boston.
The issuing town "owns" your LTC until it expires. You cannot get one in a new town unless the owning town agree to voluntarily expire yours early.

Some towns like Brookline are well aware of this, and refuse to do early expirations because they consider it their civic duty to keep as many LTCs held by ordinary, unconnected, unimportant people restricted for as long as possible even when they move out of town.

The issuing town "owns" your LTC until it expires. You cannot get one in a new town unless the owning town agree to voluntarily expire yours early.

Some towns like Brookline are well aware of this, and refuse to do early expirations because they consider it their civic duty to keep as many LTCs held by ordinary, unconnected, unimportant people restricted for as long as possible even when they move out of town.

Also known as "LTC AIDS". Worse yet the old hack of moving out of state won't even kill aids either. The last 3 people I know that moved out, their shit is still marked live in the system despite ratting themselves out to eops/police when they moved.

Also known as "LTC AIDS". Worse yet the old hack of moving out of state won't even kill aids either. The last 3 people I know that moved out, their shit is still marked live in the system despite ratting themselves out to eops/police when they moved.
MA be the only state where people have hired attorneys to have their carry permit invalidated by the system.

Sorry by “it” I meant apartment not LTC.

So

And if you can afford $1800 for this, rent a cheap $450/month pad in a green town for a few months, get your LTC and close down your green town apartment, notifying BPD of your move to Boston.

Back
Top Bottom