• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tite Group Sporting, Northborough, MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
TITE GROUP SPORTING, Northborogh, MA

Has anyone done business with Tite Group Sporting in Northborough,MA.
Online they have quite a selection of firearms and ammo at decent prices.
Thanx,Pete

URL: http://www.titegroupsporting.com/

Edited by LenS: Pete, please put town and state in Subject and URL in post so that it makes it easy for folks to find or search. Thanks. (I added them this time.)

Pete,

I work right down the road from the shop. I havent been inside yet. I've emailed them about ammo a few weeks ago and have gotten no response. So I dont know.

Derek

I bought my ban safe M4gery there.The owner is cool (ex-Army ranger) and his store has some wierd hours.As far as ammo,look elsewhere.He has very little in stock.I can't remember how much his transfer fees were (something like $35.00).Not much stock,but he can order anything..including a post ban M4gery which I explained to him we can't legally own in MA....lol

Tite Group Sporting/Incorrect Prices Online

Thanks for the response but prices online are not correct.
I was told that the prices online are last years.
Maybe someone should some time updating the website!
Pete

I e-mail them about their ethics of a surcharge on credit card purchases wich is a illeagle practice in Massachusetts. I never heard back from them.

Sure, it's illegal, but everybody does it. Maybe not by calling it a sur-charge, but instead by offering a discount for cash.

I certified the owner as an NRA Rifle instructor a year or two ago. Guy definitely knows his stuff.

Ken

Giving a discount for cash IS LEGAL. Not sure if it is really against the law to charge a surcharge on ccs, but it IS against the Ts&Cs of MasterCard/Visa (and probably others) for the merchant to do so or to put "minimum purchase of $x" on the use of ccs. Lambert's' Fruits did the later and I reported them to MC/Visa (many years ago) and they stopped the practice . . . although I think they recently implemented it again (but without the big signs this time).

Yep it sure is illegal to charge more from a consumer when they use a credit card. As noted , the legal way to get around it is to offer a discount when paying with cash. Same effect but is best to stay within the law.

Bugie the businessman

Michael, the owner, doesn't seem to read his e-mail much, and the web site is woefully out of date. However, call and you get prompt service. He can get some great ammo prices although doesn't stock much in the store. Low overhead means low prices. If you know what you want, he'll have it in a day or so. And so convienient to swing by the GOAL office and say hi. (^_^)

Very up front and no beating around the bush.

Don't know if they're working on their web page, but there are no working links right now.

Mike Wheelock, the owner, will bend over backwards to serve his customers. If he doesn't have something in stock, he will get it for you. He goes to his distributor at least once a week.

Tite Group Sporting is definitely worth a visit or three. Over the years I have bought guns from him, sold guns, and transferred a bunch.

Good guy, nice shop.

--Darius

Cross-X said:
Mike Wheelock, the owner, will bend over backwards to serve his customers. If he doesn't have something in stock, he will get it for you. He goes to his distributor at least once a week.

Tite Group Sporting is definitely worth a visit or three. Over the years I have bought guns from him, sold guns, and transferred a bunch.

Good guy, nice shop.

--Darius

Is he the one across from the GOAL office, Darius?

Mike's shop (and GOAL) are just 10 mins from my office, so I head down there sometimes. Mike is a great guy to deal with. I've been in there just to "shoot" the breeze also. I've bought from him, he's done a couple of transfers for me, and sold a couple for me. All good dealings.
(a little dissapointed in his web site reverting back to an inactive state)

Well, just talked myself into a shop visit...

--Ken C.

Just stopped by yesterday and spent an hour shooting the breeze with Michae. Nice guy.

Didn't have a lot of ammo, but did have a nice selection of different calibers and he did mention that he had .41 Magnum - to go with the .41's in his display case.

Pretty eclectic collection of handguns, rifles and shotguns, too. An old 16 GA bolt action Shotgun (never heard of one before! Think it was a Mossberg?), a Bushmaster, some milsurp stuff, a .32 Luger (4" barrel), some snubbies, lots of stuff. Small store, but will order stuff; while I was there someone called up looking for a Glock 29 and he ordered right after he got off the phone.

Definitely worth the trip.

dwarven1 said:
An old 16 GA bolt action Shotgun (never heard of one before! Think it was a Mossberg?)

I've got one. It's a J.C. Higgins. Used to be my old man's but he handed it down to me. She still works great, she's clean, and smooth as butter action! In fact, that's what I take deer hunting with me here in MA.

Adam

Good Gun Shop

Just to chime in. Mike is a great guy and was extremely helpful in getting the gun I wanted. Don't let the small size of his store fool you. This is a guy (former Ranger) you just know is not steering you wrong when he tells you something. I will now be buying my cases of ammo from him also. Prices as good as anyone, even Wally-world. And I would rather be supporting my local gun shop.

Again, worth checking out. Not a huge store for "browsing" of course, but if you know what you are looking for, then Mike will be very helpful in trying to track it done for you.

He be getting my business in the future.

Hats off to Mike at Tite-Group.

First, he was able to get me the gun I wanted (Walther P99C) when Collectors and Four Seasons couldn't. Apparently, Walther lightened the trigger and changed the SKU the P99C, and Collectors and Four Seasons told me the new P99C was not Mass compliant. :( Mike was able to locate a new old stock P99C that had the older, Mass compliant SKU.

Second, he gave me a significantly better price on that gun than I had been quoted anywhere else.

This is not the store to go to to look at and fondle lots of guns, because his shop is small and he has limited stock. But he can get you what you need in a couple days and his prices are great. Definitely worth a phone call if you know what you want and you're shopping around.

I don't mind elaborating:

First: in a small business, you are the business, your personality,
your knowledge of the product etc. mean a whole lot:::

Lacking.

The most important thing, when you give someone a price stick with it,
if it needs to change get on the phone and call your customer and inform
them making certain they buy into the new price.

IN my case that did not happen, i went to pick up the merchandise,
asked for an invoice, (----which for some reason he seemed to be holding
back----) i paid the invoice, ( i did not mention the price difference as other customers were there and did not want to embarass him)
but called on the phone later that day. His answer was::: i couldn't get the
scope from my regular distributor and had to go elsewhere, and my cost
was higher. When i asked why he didn't call he stumbled, and
said "i have to turn a profit" he had other meaningless excuses, but i wasn't convinced. Thats why i recommend you go elsewhere....

I certainly will

JimB

JImB

Tite Group experience

I had an interesting experience Friday when calling around to area shops checking to see if anyone had an M1 Carbine in stock. When I contacted a shop called 'Tite Group', it became immediately noteworthy and different from the other calls in that during the first minute of the conversation the person changed his mind several times as to whether or not he had one in stock; first staying no, then yes, then no again they did not have any, then again reversing and finally stating yes he had one and it was a new Auto-Ordnance / Kahr Arms model stating "it is in my warehouse". I stated that I might be interested in one of these, in addition to continuing to look for a GI model, if it was in fact a well made firearm and asked if he would like to bring it to the shop from his "warehouse" so I could see it. He stated that they were extremely well made, better than the GI Models, but he does not "take guns out of the box and risk scratching them up on the counter" before being paid for !

In 44 years of purchasing firearms, I have never had a dealer state that they had a gun but would not take it out of the box to be viewed, this just sounded a little different to me.

Knowing that some dealers sometimes state they own a firearm and in their warehouse when in actuality they mean it is something they can get from a distributor, I asked if he definitely owned the gun and had the gun available and response was yes, but again, he does not take guns out of the box before being paid for.

This just seemed a little unusual, at least in my experience. Knowing for a fact that soft counter mats are relatively inexpensive, I purchased my own for $10 the last time I was at the S&W Retail Store in Springfield, and knowing that even if a store did not want to spend the money on a nice counter mat, would seem that a soft rag placed on a counter can adequately protect a firearm from being scratched, at least in my opinion. This fellow's manner of doing business is interesting to say the least.

Perhaps he has a good reason for conducting business in this manner. However, never been to that shop, never talked to them before, but believe I will avoid them in the future.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you had such an awkward experience with Tite Group. I have known the owner, Mike Wheelock, for years, and he is an honest guy and a dealer who provides many things that are near impossible to find elsewhere in MA.

I have bought at least a half dozen guns from Tite Group, and look forward to buying more from them next month.

C-X

Mod Hat On!

I am merging this thread with a prior thread on this shop, assuming that this Mod tool works as stated.

Before starting a new thread, PLEASE do a Search on the topic and see if it was posted before. If so, please tack your thoughts at the end of the prior thread.

Thank you.

The management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom