Today was my last day shopping at Four Seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I finally gave up on your place after I brought in a used S&W 5943 to sell for consignment. The gun was issued to the Essex County Sheriff's Dept. in the early 1990s, so it had a 15-round magazine that was etched with "Property of Essex County Sheriff's Dept." I still have it. Your employee, whom I thought was the owner at the time (Bob?, no longer there), told me that he couldn't sell the gun with that mag even after I showed him a paper indicating that it was issued prior to 1994. I brought it back later on with a 10-rd mag that I had to buy, and the gun was sold.

As for the sling swivel, I have a hard time believing that whoever shaved the bayo lug off didn't recognize the chewed up swivel.

To be fair, you did do an excellent job cerakoting my G27.

Bob was the former owner, he was only around for about 3 months before he moved out of state and that was over 4 years ago at this point, sorry you had a bad experience with him, but he is no longer here. Things are very different now, and again, the offer still stands to replace the swivel if you choose to do so.

as far as whoever shaved off the bayo lug not noticing it was chewed up , I can honestly say that most people that have work done on their guns inspect the work when they pick it up to make sure it was done to their satisfaction , if it was brought to our attention when you picked it up it would have been resolved on the spot.

I was just at shooters supply in Westport for about a half hour talking with the guy behind the counter(didn’t catch his name). He allowed me handle numerous guns answered all my questions and we literally just BS’d for quite some time. Have never had a bad experience there. I do feel like four seasons has a great selection but I have felt as if they don’t want to spend the time allowing you to ask questions and handle more then one or two firearms. I can say living two miles from shooters supply, they will get all my business for now on.

I guess when you sell 1K guns a month you don't have the time to talk with your customers.
I agree, they should be better than that especially when it comes to firearms.
It's not like you're at a fast food place.

6. Realize that you have to have some responsibility yourself. This is not a place for show and tell and buy nothing. Either you are buying, or you are leaving. Use this forum and many other forums to gain some knowledge PRIOR of you showing up in the store and delaying others.

So you would walk into FS and buy a consignment gun without even touching or inspecting it?

Not me. Not now, not ever.

The new stuff I understand- hell put a list with some pictures on the wall and hide it out back; but part of the problem with that place being a mob scene is even if there is a (potentially) nice used gun that I want to look at if its even the slightest bit busy, good luck getting someone's attention. FS used to be a great place to browse but not anymore. And when I mean browse I mean "I have 700 bucks in my pocket and if I see something I really like I'm going to spend it" . You literally have to plan out the time you go there if you want to do anything other than be treated like cattle.

Then again I will admit some bias, a couple of the gun shops I walk into if I want to look at something and the owner is on the phone the owner will toss the cabinet keys at me....

-Mike

Four Seasons is an acquired taste. Prices are the best in the state. Availability for popular firearms is high. That drives the crowds. I have NEVER had a bad customer service experience. This is not a shop for small talk during high traffic times. Having said that, if you come during off hours, staff are informed and willing to share what they know. Carl also puts money back into the local shooting community without fanfare. Transfer fees are higher than some, but I never had a problem with an out-of-state transfer. Living close makes this store my first stop. Second on the list is Collectors in Stoneham, another quirky but interesting gun shop.

This post is entirely true for me as well. I've bought 5 guns at FS over the past 8 years and will keep going back.

[crying][crying] Shooting 20 years, shopping at Carl's for 18 of that. I haven't grajamarated!!!!!!!!! [rofl]

Your needs are probably very limited or you don't shoot a lot, either of which are fine, of course. That's why we have a ton of gun shops to go to. It's a good thing too, because it keeps the rubber lippers/compliance crying towel club out of my way at other shops. (not talking about you, or many of the other FS shoppers in this thread, but lets face facts, its a frequent stop of that contingent... )

Some of the stuff people are bitching about, yes, is "towel attendant in the bathroom" type BS, but FS has gone way in the other direction at this
point. When it gets busy its something like this...

If I lived 2 hrs away from the dealers that I like, I'd still use them. Hell I just about used to do that to go see Fred down on the cape.

Driving 2 hours to go to FS? That's like driving 2 hours to go to a CVS or a 7-11. [rofl]

-Mike

Fred had some awesome stuff that was worth driving to, great guy too.

LOL@Mike.

Mike - I get it. But it comes off as a little arrogant when you talk of "graduating" past FS. That's all. Very judgy. FS is a gun shop. If they have what I want, I get it. If not, I don't. I'm not looking for a long term relationship or an invite to their daughter's wedding. As far as knowledge, I get all that here and elsewhere. If I need something that's not on the Davidson's webpage, I know where to go, depending on what kind of gun it is. (Strangely, the longer I go, the more times I'm doing FTF or transfers than NIB, best-price-possible deals.)

You have no idea how many guns nor what kind I've got or had. I'll say that I've graduated. Maybe masters with a good bit of work on my doctorate until I decided that I had too many guns. (GASP! I hope they don't take my degrees away!)

I'll say this. I recall the "good old days" when there were LESS shops in MA than today and the purveyors were less-than-customer-friendly. I've not been into the newer Westport shops - mainly b/c I don't need a gun lately - even though they are both 10 min from my office. Both sound better than the Southcoast options 15 years ago. But, to me, FS has NOT changed their customer service in 20 or so years. And I don't expect the foot-rub treatment if people are elbow-to-elbow in there.

NOTE to whomever: As far as why FS isn't bigger - because people STILL SHOP THERE with that little store. (It's HUGE to me - because I can't imagine going in on a Saturday back in the old shop. LOL) Until Carl starts losing business due to people refusing to deal with the crowds, he won't expand. And expansion wouldn't really give people a faster experience, only a more roomy one. Let's say they added 2 more guys on the counter on Sat. Would that make a HUGE difference??? How many guys are there now? 5? 6? 8? (I actually don't know because I don't go there on a Sat. Ever.) The increase is minimal for a HUGE bump in the rent. I'm not saying it's right or comfy, but as a business owner, Carl has to have a compelling financial reason to expand. For now, it's the Kwik-E-Mart.

Last one: It was a bad price, it was probably a not-well-working gun, but I still believe I should have stepped up and bought the MP-42 semi-auto that Carl had in there for about a year. By the time I decided to think about going back and looking again (lol) it was gone. :(

Fred had some awesome stuff that was worth driving to, great guy too.

Killer was futzing over a PC 945 Compact here about 8 years ago. Guy wanted $700 or something. I hesitated. For a WHILE. No one wanted one. I knew how valuable they should be. Nope. Don't go for it. It goes elsewhere. 6 months later, at Fred's and he's got one. $1,200. Gosh it was nice. He hated it. I almost bought it. (I bought 2 other guns that day from him - ROFL)

Fred's shop was great.

Your needs are probably very limited or you don't shoot a lot, either of which are fine, of course. That's why we have a ton of gun shops to go to. It's a good thing too, because it keeps the rubber lippers/compliance crying towel club out of my way at other shops. (not talking about you, or many of the other FS shoppers in this thread, but lets face facts, its a frequent stop of that contingent... )

Half their ads contains the words "MA OK", "Legal", "Compliant", etc. I'm sure their target audience appreciates it.
11763_01_lg_0.jpg

FS_email_20161208.jpg

LOL@Mike.

Mike - I get it. But it comes off as a little arrogant when you talk of "graduating" past FS. That's all. Very judgy.

It's not arrogant at all when most of the enthusiasts I've been friends with for 10+ years aren't buying anything there anymore, or do so rarely. (and a lot of these guys have way more stuff
than I do... ) Some of these guys have even gone to PhD level and gotten their own 01/07, etc. There are a lot of reasons for this, some are outlined in this thread - like the madhouse problem, others not so much, stuff that can't be posted online. None of it matters anyways, because the new contingent of business has largely replaced the old over there anyways. So in a way at least as far as Carl/FS is concerned, the new crew of people who usually buy there dovetail into his business model a lot better. The rest of us have graduated and moved on. It's how the marketplace sorts itself out. It's usually a "good thing". If it suits you, keep shopping there.

I'll say this. I recall the "good old days" when there were LESS shops in MA than today and the purveyors were less-than-customer-friendly. I've not been into the newer Westport shops - mainly b/c I don't need a gun lately - even though they are both 10 min from my office. Both sound better than the Southcoast options 15 years ago.

But, to me, FS has NOT changed their customer service in 20 or so years. And I don't expect the foot-rub treatment if people are elbow-to-elbow in there.

Nobody wants a foot rub, but this isn't towel attendant stuff we're talking about here... kinda hard to look at stuff when you show up, and a mob of rubber lippers are blocking ALL the display cases and it takes like 10 minutes
just to get someones attention so you can possibly see something behind the counter. (where what little good stuff is at FS). It's not that "the service is bad" its just that sometimes there just isnt enough
service period. It used to be just a few times a year it was that thick in there, but now its basically only quiet in there "anytime most people are still at work".

And yes, the southcoast has improved considerably over the past 15 years WRT gun shops. 15 years ago there were like one or two down that way now there's waaaay more options.

-Mike

So you would walk into FS and buy a consignment gun without even touching or inspecting it?

Not me. Not now, not ever.

The new stuff I understand- hell put a list with some pictures on the wall and hide it out back; but part of the problem with that place being a mob scene is even if there is a (potentially) nice used gun that I want to look at if its even the slightest bit busy, good luck getting someone's attention. FS used to be a great place to browse but not anymore. And when I mean browse I mean "I have 700 bucks in my pocket and if I see something I really like I'm going to spend it" . You literally have to plan out the time you go there if you want to do anything other than be treated like cattle.

Then again I will admit some bias, a couple of the gun shops I walk into if I want to look at something and the owner is on the phone the owner will toss the cabinet keys at me....

-Mike
Can you let us know where you like to shop???

Sounds like a kickass place!!!

It's not arrogant at all when most of the enthusiasts I've been friends with for 10+ years aren't buying anything there anymore, or do so rarely. (and a lot of these guys have way more stuff
than I do... ) Some of these guys have even gone to PhD level and gotten their own 01/07, etc. There are a lot of reasons for this, some are outlined in this thread - like the madhouse problem, others not so much, stuff that can't be posted online. None of it matters anyways, because the new contingent of business has largely replaced the old over there anyways. So in a way at least as far as Carl/FS is concerned, the new crew of people who usually buy there dovetail into his business model a lot better. The rest of us have graduated and moved on. It's how the marketplace sorts itself out. It's usually a "good thing". If it suits you, keep shopping there.

Nobody wants a foot rub, but this isn't towel attendant stuff we're talking about here... kinda hard to look at stuff when you show up, and a mob of rubber lippers are blocking ALL the display cases and it takes like 10 minutes
just to get someones attention so you can possibly see something behind the counter. (where what little good stuff is at FS). It's not that "the service is bad" its just that sometimes there just isnt enough
service period. It used to be just a few times a year it was that thick in there, but now its basically only quiet in there "anytime most people are still at work".

And yes, the southcoast has improved considerably over the past 15 years WRT gun shops. 15 years ago there were like one or two down that way now there's waaaay more options.

-Mike

So for clarification, FS is a good shop that meets the demand of rubber-lippers, pant-shitters, and skinflints?

So for clarification, FS is a good shop that meets the demand of rubber-lippers, pant-shitters, and skinflints?

Yes, exactly, plus people who have very basic needs. For example friend of mine, his dad wanted one of those new enhanced smegmas, and didn't care about any MA trigger BS because he was buying a
kit for it to fix that. Guy is retired, buys 1-2 guns a year at the most, none of which are particularly special or expensive. FS works for him because he can easily go when its not busy and he is well, a little bit of a flint too so having the best price helps.

-Mike

What the hell does "rubber lipper" mean? What's the etymology?

blah blah blah did a search blah blah blah...

Killer was futzing over a PC 945 Compact here about 8 years ago. Guy wanted $700 or something. I hesitated. For a WHILE. No one wanted one. I knew how valuable they should be. Nope. Don't go for it. It goes elsewhere. 6 months later, at Fred's and he's got one. $1,200. Gosh it was nice. He hated it. I almost bought it. (I bought 2 other guns that day from him - ROFL)

Fred's shop was great.

One of my "greatest ragrets" sales was a PC945 commander I got on the consignment at FS. I had the gun for a couple of years and had to sell it, it was a decent gun, if a bit weird from a regular 1911... but very well built, very nice trigger....

What the hell does "rubber lipper" mean? What's the etymology?

blah blah blah did a search blah blah blah...

Urban Dictionary: rubberlip

That's almost what I was thinking of, but not quite. I should have used "numbskulls".

(at the range - I see Billy has some rugerish thing on his side of the bench, but can't quite make out what model it is)
Me: Hey Billy RL, that's a nice new gun ya got there, you still gonna get that Glock you wanted?
RL: I BOHT A RUGAH SR40 KEHD. I GOTTIT AT FOAH SEASENS! UP DA STREET FROM MY HOUSE.
Me: Why'd you end up with that thing? I'm confused. I thought you wanted a Gen5 Glock? The private sale guy I sent you to with the barely used gun with the 3 10 round mags still had it last I knew.
RL: I KNOW DAT, BUHT I WAS AFRAID CUZ IT WASNT COMPLYANT!!!! ERRYONE KEEPS SAYING GWOKS ARE EWWEGAL. SO CONFUSE. AND DAT SR40 WAS A GOOD PRYCE! WAY CHEAPAH KEHD!!! AND I DIDNT HAVE TO DRIVE AS FAHR!!!
Me: That's great. (thinking, but not saying So you went from something that you wanted, to accepting something that you didnt want, that has a gay pride flag and an unnecessary safety lever, in a caliber nobody wants)
RL: BRUH I SAVED FAHKIN 80 DOLLARSH!!!!!
Me: (facepalm, face is slowly starting to melt at this point). How does it shoot? Do you like it? (trying to expunge all this stuff from my brain, like when Lewis Black heard "If it weren't for my horse....")

Just read RL in the voice of "Baby Wheel Man" from youtube and it makes more sense.

Or think of...

-Mike

Last edited:
A data point: I went to FS today, got there around 3:15. Two other customers were already there, one finishing up a purchase, the other just getting started. I left at 4:00 (with an SW1911), when there were about four other sales in process, and about five guys waiting in line. I dealt with Ted, he was very helpful.

Funny thing is . . .While all you blowhards and yakkers and experts like drgrant, et al (yes, if you have 60,000 posts you must be a blowhard) can do is pontificate on a chat room like this, real men like Carl at Four Seasons, and the folks at MFS are doing real things in the world. Like starting and running successful businesses that give people what they want (even if what they want is looked down upon by you because you have "graduated" to a higher level). These business owners, who are too busy to be on chatrooms because they are actually WORKING, also provide employment to workers and put money into the local economy.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes yet another butt hurt epic thread.....[rofl] I thought there was already a place on NEC that one could piss on or praise vendors. Oh ya found it...Gun Shops and Reviews...guess we needed a one off....just a bunch of happy little clams we are.Four Seasons Firearms, Woburn, MA this one already has 72 pages of fun.

Funny thing is . . .While all you blowhards and yakkers and experts like drgrant, et al (yes, if you have 60,000 posts you must be a blowhard) can do is pontificate on a chat room lioke this, real mean like Carl at Four Seasons, and the folks at MFS are doing real things in the world. Like starting and running and running successful businesses that give people what they want (even if what they want is looked down upon by you because you have "graduated" to a higher level). These business owners, who are too busy to be on chatrooms because they are actually WORKING, also provide employment to workers and put money into the local economy.

Thanks

Did I ever at one time indict anyone's character here about their Business? I never once said that FS wasn't successful (there are a ton of gun shops who wished they had like even 20% of the sales of what FS probably
turns in a quarter) or that it didn't fill a need. It certainly does. If it fits your needs you should continue to shop there. That would be as dumb as if I said that HiPoint wasn't successful because they had a product that I had no use for, but yet shitloads of other people do. He doesn't make a product that I would ever want, yet I can freely acknowledge that guy is a smart businessman.

A bit of a reality check here, we're not talking about The Gun Room (where shitting on customers was a sport) or Ware Gun Shop here (aka the home of refurbed broken smith and wesson products and often frequented by skinflints) of yester-decade here. It's not that kind of criticism.

-Mike

I can't wait to graduate. I guess there's a higher plateau I need to aspire to vs. the "run-of-the-mill" gun shop. I'm a bit of a recluse so I doubt I'll hook up with many of you. Is there a course catalogue for this advanced education?

I can't wait to graduate. I guess there's a higher plateau I need to aspire to vs. the "run-of-the-mill" gun shop. I'm a bit of a recluse so I doubt I'll hook up with many of you. Is there a course catalogue for this advanced education?

Yes.... . it's called "leave the house and shoot/train/socialize with guys/girls that have better guns than you". That's the first chapter of the book.

-Mike

This thread needs to stop, I'm pretty sure it didn't even need to start. It seems like the relevant information and everyone's personal perspective has been fully explored, expressed and objected to. Just like the last dozen FS threads.

I concur, I should have shut this one down not long after it started...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom