Told by gun shop I cannot use Centerfire Rifle scope on .22 only Rimfire Scope

Well, since the argument the sales critter made was: "a centerfire scope will be broken by the recoil on a .22", wouldn't the fact that a centerfire scope won't be broken on your unsually recoliing ar10, kinda hint that a centerfire scope just might be able to withstand the incredible stresses imposed by a .22 rifle?

Unless your ar10 is maybe modified to shoot .22?

Perhaps your salesman is dyslexic and heard that a rimfire/cheap scope might be trashed if you put it on a high powered centerfire, and just repeats the story backwards.

You kinda lost me there. I just read some bs about optics being damaged by forward recoil. Think about it for a minute, momentum and inertia. The scope is going to have stress both ways on "normally" recoiling rifles. It's a moot point anyways because you get what you pay for. As for the recoil of semi autos I guess you have never dropped an open bolt to battery huh? Rifle goes bang, recoil one. Bolts travels back and stops, recoil two. Bolt moves forward and slams in to battery, recoil 3. If you find that unusual I can recommend a test to help understand it, Garand owners may have inadvertently experienced this. Just stick you little finger in the ejection port with a open bolt and drop it. I think that will help to understand what is going on.

You kinda lost me there. I just read some bs about optics being damaged by forward recoil. Think about it for a minute, momentum and inertia. The scope is going to have stress both ways on "normally" recoiling rifles. It's a moot point anyways because you get what you pay for. As for the recoil of semi autos I guess you have never dropped an open bolt to battery huh? Rifle goes bang, recoil one. Bolts travels back and stops, recoil two. Bolt moves forward and slams in to battery, recoil 3. If you find that unusual I can recommend a test to help understand it, Garand owners may have inadvertently experienced this. Just stick you little finger in the ejection port with a open bolt and drop it. I think that will help to understand what is going on.

Actually the bolt going forward picking up a round from the magazine can have less of a recoil "impulse" than one slamming forwards on an empty rifle too.

But I would have to somewhat disagree with your assessment of effect on a scope. A bolt slamming forward into battery after a rifle has been fired doesn't reverse the rear recoil impulse. Bolt is back in battery long before before rearward motion from recoil has stopped. While it is a force impulse and it may counter rearward impulse to lessen it slightly, its not some sharp jolt that reverses the motion providing forward counter stresses to the scope. When you are shooting to you feel that forward impulse on your shoulder? I.e. Fire...rearward movement...slight jump forwards (or you feel it slow with forwards energy from bolt going back into battery...continued rewards recoil.

Last edited:
You kinda lost me there. I just read some bs about optics being damaged by forward recoil. ...

In the OP the claim was made: "I was told by one of the salesmen at Northeast Trading that I cannot use a centerfire rifle scope on a .22 and the sharp crack and different recoil will destroy a centerfire scope, that only rimfire scopes should be used.".

I suggested that the sales critter perhaps got the urban legend backwards - that he meant to say that cheap scopes won't hold up on a centerfire rifle. That's the only way I make sense of the OP. (not saying that's universally true [or universally false] either) I am not the original poster.

Centerfire scopes are made to take quite a beating. Don't listen to those momos.

according to the packaging information on my Centerfire (brand) scope, it can handle a .416 rigby

i'd have to guess that a .22 should hold up, and that was my guess a few thousand rounds ago, and the scope seem to be just fine

though i think i'd like to see a bright scope with perhaps a finer reticle and possibly parallax adjustment.

course, even i don't want to spend more than $400 at the moment, i have trijicon lust, but $65 and nitrogen filled/etc/etc? "hard to go wrong"

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=326711 - article about how good they are, how rugged, etc...

http://centerpoint.crosman.com/riflescopes/adventure

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=centerpoint scopes

research! :)

From North East Trading's web site:
--------------------
Northeast Trading Co., Inc. is now the 4th largest Firearms retailer in Massachusetts.

In our 18 years of operation our customers have discovered that our service, inventory, and prices are second to none. If we don't have it in stock--We will get it in a timely fashion.
We Appreciate Your Business!!!

---------------

Huh????? 4th largest???

Back before the BassPro fiasco, Ted was bragging to me that he was the #2 Dealer in MA, behind Four Seasons.

So if this is right, it looks like his "marketing plan" is working well for him! [wink]

From North East Trading's web site:
--------------------
Northeast Trading Co., Inc. is now the 4th largest Firearms retailer in Massachusetts.

In our 18 years of operation our customers have discovered that our service, inventory, and prices are second to none. If we don't have it in stock--We will get it in a timely fashion.
We Appreciate Your Business!!!

---------------

Huh????? 4th largest???

Back before the BassPro fiasco, Ted was bragging to me that he was the #2 Dealer in MA, behind Four Seasons.

So if this is right, it looks like his "marketing plan" is working well for him! [wink]

If I remember correctly that page used to say "2nd largest dealer"....

If I remember correctly that page used to say "2nd largest dealer"....

What Ted told me back then was $ volume, but I never asked him if his number included bait/fishing supplies . . . as that is a very large part of his business.

On the other hand, BP can be #1 based on sales of all gun supplies, etc. as they have a huge stock that nobody else has the floor space for to compete with them. Their gun prices are totally obscene (IIRC $400 for the Walther P22 last week) . . . I can't imagine anyone other than a newbie that had no clue about gun prices would buy a gun there.

What Ted told me back then was $ volume, but I never asked him if his number included bait/fishing supplies . . . as that is a very large part of his business.

On the other hand, BP can be #1 based on sales of all gun supplies, etc. as they have a huge stock that nobody else has the floor space for to compete with them. Their gun prices are totally obscene (IIRC $400 for the Walther P22 last week) . . . I can't imagine anyone other than a newbie that had no clue about gun prices would buy a gun there.

Ted's prices aren't the greatest in the state either. You may find a good deal every once and awhile, but that's about it. I've dealt with him a couple of times since the BP fiasco and that was only when Kevin was there. Now I won't buy a gun there. The last time I was in there was to find some powder I needed right away. I don't remember what was being said between a customer and one of the employees behind the counter, but I remember I didn't like what was being said and that it was incorrect.

I'd have to say that the live bait and fishing equipment is what keeps him in business. They do a ton of bait sales there.

Actually the bolt going forward picking up a round from the magazine can have less of a recoil "impulse" than one slamming forwards on an empty rifle too.

But I would have to somewhat disagree with your assessment of effect on a scope. A bolt slamming forward into battery after a rifle has been fired doesn't reverse the rear recoil impulse. Bolt is back in battery long before before rearward motion from recoil has stopped. While it is a force impulse and it may counter rearward impulse to lessen it slightly, its not some sharp jolt that reverses the motion providing forward counter stresses to the scope. When you are shooting to you feel that forward impulse on your shoulder? I.e. Fire...rearward movement...slight jump forwards (or you feel it slow with forwards energy from bolt going back into battery...continued rewards recoil.

All I am going to say about that is Yes you should be able to feel it and yes I can. I find that proper trigger reset on a gas gun can be tricky. I find that the bolt movement can affect the feeling of the rifle which has a tendency to cause me to rush the reset. I have seen others experience the same issue. This is something that was shown to me when attending a class about precession gas guns. Take it with a bag of salt as you mileage is obviously different.

Since privately held companies rarely make their sales numbers public, how can one lay claim to being 1st, 2nd or whatever especially on a statewide basis? There have been larger retailers selling in Mass. Walmart, based on the number of stores in state sold lots of guns and ammo dollar wise until they caved. Does anyone remember back when Sears had a decent sports department? They had all the guns nicely laid out and there were a bunch of them. There was a short lived gun shop in the worcester area that eventually got shut down that was selling incredible volumes of guns and surplus ammo in crates back in the 80s. Arms Corp or something like that.

There was a short lived gun shop in the worcester area that eventually got shut down that was selling incredible volumes of guns and surplus ammo in crates back in the 80s. Arms Corp or something like that.

Collector's Arms Co (ARMCO for short, I believe). I bought a bunch of guns from them back in the day. I'm not sure why they closed but the rumor was the owner got in some legal hot water.

Since privately held companies rarely make their sales numbers public, how can one lay claim to being 1st, 2nd or whatever especially on a statewide basis?

When firearms sales are are tightly regulated and monitored it's a bit easier to come up with a figure, I'd imagine.

When firearms sales are are tightly regulated and monitored it's a bit easier to come up with a figure, I'd imagine.

CHSB can come up with transfer numbers, but this isn't $$-volume.

Ted told me $$-volume for both his shop and Four Seasons. But since I haven't spoken to him since the BP fiasco, I have no idea about what's happened lately nor do I care.

We now have a number of good shops that value "customer service", don't lie to customers and have decent prices that we can choose from . . . e.g. Four Seasons, First Defense, Collectors, etc.

Not really, because even though CHSB tracks transactions, the data is effectively worthless- the system doesn't show the context of the transfer, nor does it cover all sales.

-Dealer reports via CHSB would only be for guns going out to consumers in MA. Guns coming into an MA FFL, and say, going out on gunbroker or whatever, never hit the MA system. Dealers selling guns to other dealers never hits the MA system, either.

-CHSB's system records sales/transfers of used guns as well, and it's impossible to tell whether this is a "sale" or just a guy using the dealer for a transfer.

The only way you could tell is by vendor or distributor reporting. Distributors like Camfour, Lew Horton, RSR, Davidsons, etc, probably rank their dealers by volume.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom