Tula Brassmaxx is garbage!

Only problem I had with Tula Brass 9mm is that it has the velocity of Tula steel. It barely cycled in my Uzi and is definitely dirty. For the price though I guess its ok for plinking.

I have shot about 5-6 cans of the stuff with no problems. Although I will mention that at the bottom of the last can there was a bullet with not casing or powder and since my range has a 5rd/mag limit I know I only got to shoot 99 out of the 100 because evidently that lone bullet counted as a cartridge.

Which range is your range?

Last edited:
I've shot about 400 rounds and not one problem. Bought at different times. Sounds like you got a bad batch.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

My Shield loves that stuff. I'd shoot nothing else if I could find it all the time.

When I've been with RDG we have come up with a single round that the bullet was recessed a bit and the casing had a small buckle where it looks like the case wasn't lined up properly and they attempted to press the bullet. Besides that I'd run it as much as possible. The federal value boxes from walmart have been the dirtiest crap I have ever shot.

Only problem I had with Tula Brass 9mm is that it has the velocity of Tula steel. It barely cycled in my Uzi and is definitely dirty. For the price though I guess its ok for plinking.

Ray have you tried Fed Champion and WWB? Have these fared better in the Uzi? They seem to run my Glocks a lot better.

-Mike

Did you attempt to contract the manufacturer to see if they would make it right? Every bulk ammo manufacturer churns out crap once in awhile. You could even score yourself some free ammo out of the deal. Take pics of the effed up ammo, the container(s), etc... document it all and mail/email it off to whoever represents Tula in the US.

-Mike

Nope, I should have kept some of the really bad ones and took pictures. You guys would have gotten a kick out of a few of them. I was frustrated and just threw them all away. If it ever happens again I'll go that route.

Since I seem to be the only one that has had major issues, I'll give them a second chance.

Nope, I should have kept some of the really bad ones and took pictures. You guys would have gotten a kick out of a few of them. I was frustrated and just threw them all away. If it ever happens again I'll go that route.

Since I seem to be the only one that has had major issues, I'll give them a second chance.

Not bitching is usually a big mistake. Don't know about tula but I know with Fed, Remington, and Winchester they either send out coupons or if the problem is really bad, sometimes you end up with a crate of ammo getting sent to your door.

-Mike

Not bitching is usually a big mistake. Don't know about tula but I know with Fed, Remington, and Winchester they either send out coupons or if the problem is really bad, sometimes you end up with a crate of ammo getting sent to your door.

-Mike

I sent them an email today just to give them a heads up that there may be more like that out there. I don't expect anything in return.

I bought 200 rounds of 9mm at walmart for about $50. 1 out of every 10 rounds that actually passed a visual inspection failed to feed. Other rounds showed significant damage to the case or bullets seated at an angle (one was at 45 degrees).

Afterwards when I was cleaning I noticed that the inside of my gun was covered in little copper flakes. They were a bitch to get out of every little crevice.

Never again Tula Brasscrap, never again.

I've probably used 800 rounds of this in the last few months. Every round looked great and my Glock loved it. This is my favorite round as it's the cheapest brass cased factory ammo and I've never had a hint of a bobble.

I have talked to a few friends who have had the same issue. They all have said its the 9mm in the plastic tub. I can only conclude that the Bosnia stuff in the plastic tubs is the ammo giving people problems. I have shot 1000's of rounds of the 50 round box stuff made in Italy without any problems at all. Can anyone confirm if the problem stuff is just the ammo made in Bosnia? just a thought

I have talked to a few friends who have had the same issue. They all have said its the 9mm in the plastic tub. I can only conclude that the Bosnia stuff in the plastic tubs is the ammo giving people problems. I have shot 1000's of rounds of the 50 round box stuff made in Italy without any problems at all. Can anyone confirm if the problem stuff is just the ammo made in Bosnia? just a thought

that's what i think, it may just be the cans because the 50rd box is Fiocchi...

Ya, I'm willing to bet that's what the issue is. I just bought 2 plastic tubs and will inspect all the rounds before I shoot it.

I'm surprised to hear that. I haven't chronied it, but I thought it felt hotter than WWB. Never had a problem with about 600 rounds through two P99s and a Highpoint carbine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've chronoed Tula steel against the other popular range stuff (WWB, Federal, Fiocchi, etc). It's a myth that Tula is slower, and the myth is false. It's actually faster than all the others in my testing.

I've chronoed Tula steel against the other popular range stuff (WWB, Federal, Fiocchi, etc). It's a myth that Tula is slower, and the myth is false. It's actually faster than all the others in my testing.

What are the numbers for it vs WWB? I used to get crazy numbers for WWB 9mm.

I know one thing is for sure though, Tula steel 9mm definitely cycles the gun differently than most brass cased ammo regardless. It seems powerful enough to run the gun but the cases don't go very far. It's almost like UMC 9mm but not nearly as "bad" in terms of shitty ejection.

It's also worth noting that theres a diffference between velocity and recoil impulse. Stuff like Rem UMC 9mm probably makes minor PF all day long, but whatever powder they use in it causes it to have a short recoil impulse, maybe its too fast. Which to some is a good thing, but it makes the guns run like shit.

-Mike

What are the numbers for it vs WWB? I used to get crazy numbers for WWB 9mm.

I know one thing is for sure though, Tula steel 9mm definitely cycles the gun differently than most brass cased ammo regardless. It seems powerful enough to run the gun but the cases don't go very far. It's almost like UMC 9mm but not nearly as "bad" in terms of shitty ejection.

It's also worth noting that theres a diffference between velocity and recoil impulse. Stuff like Rem UMC 9mm probably makes minor PF all day long, but whatever powder they use in it causes it to have a short recoil impulse, maybe its too fast. Which to some is a good thing, but it makes the guns run like shit.

-Mike

I got 1180fps from WWB and 1182 from Tula. Those were the fastest two I tested. I 100% agree regarding cycling though. I don't see it much with my Glock. It ejects fine if maybe with just slightly less oomph. Out of my AR, Tula steel was the hottest .223 load I've run over my chrono, yet it was short stroking when nothing else was. They definitely use powders that lead to higher velocities but somehow less cycling force. I think the extra friction of the steel cases also might slow the action down.

Last edited:
That's a negligible difference, but also just the fastest of each. Did you take an average over a decent number? I was not collecting brass before, so didn't notice ejection distance. It seemed hotter through recoil impulse.

I've noticed that the gun cycles differently with steel. Shot a bunch of Tul yesterday, .40 and .45, Had no problems at all with cycling except one issue. Had five mags for each gun, and not one mag would lock the slide back. Must be time to clean 'em. First time shooting steel in the .40, and all I've ever shot in the .45 since I got it. The .45 has about 2500 rounds through it now.

That's a negligible difference, but also just the fastest of each. Did you take an average over a decent number? I was not collecting brass before, so didn't notice ejection distance. It seemed hotter through recoil impulse.

Those chono numbers are 5 shot averages. The spreads weren't too big. Never said the 2fps difference between WWB and Tula was a big one. But the other rounds I tested were 50-125fps lower. Point is Tula is as fast or faster than the popular range ammo out there. Not slower as everyone seems to think.

Oh, ok, thanks. Others have said WWB is slow and dirty, but my guns tend to prefer that over Federal.

All the Tula brass I have fired was in the 100 round cans and I have had no issues. I just bought 6 more cans of it. My 92FS seems to love it

I got 1180fps from WWB and 1182 from Tula. Those were the fastest two I tested. I 100% agree regarding cycling though. I don't see it much with my Glock. It ejects fine if maybe with just slightly less oomph. Out of my AR, Tula steel was the hottest .223 load I've run over my chrono, yet it was short stroking when nothing else was. They definitely use powders that lead to higher velocities but somehow less cycling force. I think the extra friction of the steel cases also might slow the action down.

Thanks for the info. Did you test BrassMaxx too? Where did that clock in at?

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom