Unsafe Range

lazypengu1n

NES Member
I found this video clip and wanted to post it. I've watched it several times and shared it on FB.

Watch it carefully and then watch it again.

I thought it was just a plain ordinary video but I realized what was happening.

[video]https://youtu.be/u5c6orRSaZE/[/video]

Link Fixed. Sorry about that.

Anyone ID the range? Is it in even in MA?

Last edited:
You wanna get shot? Cuz that's how u get shot.

People shoot past each other in training all the time. That said, this is in the category of unnecessary risks. That place looks fudded out with the no blue sky crap, too. (better than cement tubes, at least). Whoever the range chairman/Chief RO is at that place would probably shit his pants after seeing that video. [rofl]

-Mike

People shoot past each other in training all the time. That said, this is in the category of unnecessary risks. That place looks fudded out with the no blue sky crap, too. (better than cement tubes, at least). Whoever the range chairman/Chief RO is at that place would probably shit his pants after seeing that video. [rofl]

-Mike

People shooting past each other is usually reserved for pretty advanced members of law enforcement or military......As in shoot houses and such. These guys were not "training".......Just asshats being asshats. Clearly have no idea how to operate a safe range.

I bet they let u shoot from the hip at that range lol. WTF It looked like they didn't mind down range. They had there ears on so it's probably the norm there.

I must have watched it 60 times now hoping to find something would show that it is a fake video. Sadly, I cannot say that I think it is.....

Obviously not good form, but consider an action shoot (USPSA, IPSC or IDPA) with a 180 degree safe muzzle direction. If someone is standing 10 feet to your left and three feet behind you, and you shoot at a target that is close to the 180 one the left side of the range, but not breaking the 180, they are actually "downrange" if you were to draw a perpendicular line that is 90 degrees out of phase with the direction of the bullet. It just does not seem like "downrange" because you have defined "downrange" by an arbitrary line. Similarly, consider the small angle of elevation many ranges require to put one over the berm.

The angle of the shooter relative to the walkers is actually no different than the angle between the shooter and competitors commonly seen at action matches. What is missing is the no-compromise supervision as well as conditioning where everyone always understands the "180 line". In the range photo, a direction normally considered safe becomes unsafe because of liveware. In action shooting, the safe and unsafe directions are invariant.

Last edited:
Then there is the classic:

viewFile.html

Then there is the classic:

viewFile.html

Is this to show what an idiot this guy is holding up a target that is about to be shot at? It looks more like he's just holding up a prop sign and there are business buildings behind him. Zero shooting there.

Pic below from James Yeager class. Looks dumb and fun. But I wouldn't trust the guy next to me not shooting me in the leg.

DayOne019.jpg

Well - at least there are no range Nazis there, like the guy who accused me of sweeping him with my cased rifle (not actually sure if I "swept" him with the butt or muzzle, but he went batty).

Well - at least there are no range Nazis there, like the guy who accused me of sweeping him with my cased rifle (not actually sure if I "swept" him with the butt or muzzle, but he went batty).

That's why you carry your cases rifle pointing in a safe direction at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom