• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

UPS New Shipping Policy

Folks, I didn't see this posted already, if so please merge.

UPS is now making itself a private "Firearms Policing Agency" I do question who and what organization is behind it.

Think the govt is forcing them to do this? Holding something over them for a backdoor to records? Why send a few hundred ATF agents out to gather data when you can get UPS to funnel it into a nice package for you in one stop.

this is a dupe of some sort but we have like 3 UPS threads im going to try to corral them all togther

ETA: since this article is new im going to let this one stand, maybe close the others....

This is an additional update beyond their last BS update. The terms, if accurate, are much worse.

You have to know that there's the hidden hand involved in pushing of all of this. It mirrors the Covaids vaccinabomination strategy to jam executive policy via private corps.

Think the govt is forcing them to do this?

Absolutely. If not by incentive, by implied threat.

Think the govt is forcing them to do this? Holding something over them for a backdoor to records? Why send a few hundred ATF agents out to gather data when you can get UPS to funnel it into a nice package for you in one stop.
UPS utilizes the USPS to deliver many packages. The program is called "The last mile". In my opinion, that is where the pressure is being applied.

Almost all my distributors use FedEx and not UPS. FedEx sucks because of the new ID scanning they do but that is about all the f***ary from them. UPS compliance crap on the other hand means shipping with them does not make a lot of sense.

I use a 3rd party app for generating all my shipping labels, payment, etc. It gives me pricing options for different carriers so I can decide who to use. I almost always pick USPS (jokes aside, they are not retarded about firearms). The only time I skip USPS is on the larger boxes where USPS pricing gets retarded. USPS seems to be size sensitive where UPS is weight sensitive.

We have a regularly scheduled pickup by UPS at the machine shop downstairs. What is the difference between parts from a machine shop and what I might put in a box? Nothing that I know of...

Almost all my distributors use FedEx and not UPS. FedEx sucks because of the new ID scanning they do but that is about all the f***ary from them. UPS compliance crap on the other hand means shipping with them does not make a lot of sense.

I use a 3rd party app for generating all my shipping labels, payment, etc. It gives me pricing options for different carriers so I can decide who to use. I almost always pick USPS (jokes aside, they are not retarded about firearms). The only time I skip USPS is on the larger boxes where USPS pricing gets retarded. USPS seems to be size sensitive where UPS is weight sensitive.

We have a regularly scheduled pickup by UPS at the machine shop downstairs. What is the difference between parts from a machine shop and what I might put in a box? Nothing that I know of...
For non firearm items without an account (already have your info) they require a scan to ship everything at Fedex now
I would not let them touch or scan my license so they would not ship a item for me
Putting aside the personal feelings on showing ID to ship something you have the information security risk of having your DL scan info on yet another companies software (that will NEVER get deleted no matter what they say)

I emailed them asking what it takes to add being able to ship firearms to my account.

On their site it specifically says that C&R is enough:

UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

I got a reply saying one of their account rep manager/supervisors would contact me... but then never heard from them again.

One of those boxes will still contain the "firearm", and you have to notify the carrier.
27 CFR 178.31(a) specifically states "No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce TO ANY PERSON OTHER THAN a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped." (Emphasis added). Shipping to someone OTHER THAN a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector requires you notify the shipper. The BATFE has stated (letter below) that based on 18 USC 922(e) and 27 CFR 178.31a, that if you are shipping to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector (like shipping your handgun for repair or back to the factory, etc.), you are NOT required by law to inform the shipper.

I'm not saying you wouldn't be violating UPS policies--just that you wouldn't be breaking any laws.

BATF Shipping Letter 1.jpg
BATF Shipping Letter 2.jpg

In the letters, Knudson and other AGs say they’ve heard from a number of federally licensed firearms dealers over the past few weeks about the new policies, which require all FFLs to “create three separate shipping accounts: one for firearms, one for firearm parts, and one for all other firearm-related products.” Knudson says that because FFLs can no longer mix-and-match shipments, the companies are now able to determine whether a particular shipment includes a gun part, accessories, or an actual firearm.

According to the AGs, that new policy, combined with other new restrictions, has left them wondering if UPS and FedEx are now enabling the government to establish at least a partial database of gun owners in violation of federal law.”

In the letters, Knudson and other AGs say they’ve heard from a number of federally licensed firearms dealers over the past few weeks about the new policies, which require all FFLs to “create three separate shipping accounts: one for firearms, one for firearm parts, and one for all other firearm-related products.” Knudson says that because FFLs can no longer mix-and-match shipments, the companies are now able to determine whether a particular shipment includes a gun part, accessories, or an actual firearm.

According to the AGs, that new policy, combined with other new restrictions, has left them wondering if UPS and FedEx are now enabling the government to establish at least a partial database of gun owners in violation of federal law.”
Great. Make it even easier for the sticky fingers at FedEx Ground to swipe guns

UPS Terms of Service, effective Dec 27, 2022.

References: https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/webcontent/en_US/terms_service_us.pdf
How To Ship Firearms | UPS - United States

From the UPS "How to Ship Firearms" page above:

Shipping Firearm Products​

Definitions:
“Firearm” will have the same definition as set forth in Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53, of the United States Code.
“Firearm Part” is any part or component of a Firearm that does not by itself meet the definition of a “Firearm.” By way of example only, Firearm Parts include, but are not limited to, barrels, stocks, grips, firing pins, sights, and magazines/clips.
“Firearm Products” means Firearms and Firearm Parts.
The term Firearm Product does not include scopes.
UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
To transport packages containing Firearm Products, the Shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.
The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing Firearms or Firearm Parts complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions. All Firearms and Firearm Parts shipments must also conform to the terms, conditions, restrictions, and prohibitions set forth on this page at the time of shipping, in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service and UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping, and in the approved UPS Firearm Products agreement.

I've bolded what I consider the problematic parts from UPS's new terms of service. As I read it, an individual who has not obtained a C&R/FFL03 and entered into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of firearms products can't ship gun parts through UPS. I have one of those two things, I suppose. Anyone seen any signs of this in the last week? I haven't checked FedEx to see if they've also jumped this way. There are also specific packaging requirements listed in the references to keep in mind.

I predict "never tell UPS what's in the box" will be a popular, if riskier option.

UPS Terms of Service, effective Dec 27, 2022.

References: https://www.ups.com/assets/resources/webcontent/en_US/terms_service_us.pdf
How To Ship Firearms | UPS - United States

From the UPS "How to Ship Firearms" page above:

I've bolded what I consider the problematic parts from UPS's new terms of service. As I read it, an individual who has not obtained a C&R/FFL03 and entered into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of firearms products can't ship gun parts through UPS. I have one of those two things, I suppose. Anyone seen any signs of this in the last week? I haven't checked FedEx to see if they've also jumped this way. There are also specific packaging requirements listed in the references to keep in mind.

I predict "never tell UPS what's in the box" will be a popular, if riskier option.
IIRC this is a mirror of current FedEx policy. My bet is BATFE is behind both of these company policies.

Folks, I didn't see this posted already, if so please merge.

UPS is now making itself a private "Firearms Policing Agency" I do question who and what organization is behind it.

UPS lawyers trying to shield UPS from some bullshit lawsuit brought forward by victims families looking to sue anybody and anything having to do with a mass shooting. They already got a gun mfgr to pay up.. "So Mr UPS, you KNOWINGLY transported a firearm shipped by a person who wasn't who the got it modified to make it more killy?"

I don't agree with it, but until some sort of reigns are put on people able to sue anybody for anything, we have to deal with it.

I should get an FFL and do nothing but transfers and shipping firearms :)

Back
Top Bottom