UPS

I ordered an AR upper and it says that i will require a 21 plus signature for the UPS guy now I don't know if anyone has ever had parts shipped but i won't be home and i just want to know what other people would do in this situation can i just leave a sticky note with my signature and say leave it!?

yes. I usually also ask that it be placed in a specific location out of view when i leave a note for package signature. You could also call them with the tracker number and ask them to hold it at the UPS center for you to pick up.

I've had my "signature required" items rerouted to my office, which is gun friendly. IIRC it can be done through the UPS website.

I'd leave a note.

I never got a tracking number when getting my AR shipped back from Stag, UPS left it on my front steps. Luckily, I came home early that day and it was still there.

i hope they accept my note because it says 21 required but i assume the UPS guy wont be a meanie

I worked for UPS as a helper over Christmas, and it's very unlikely that they will leave it even with a note. You can have it rerouted to another address or just have them hold it at the pickup location. A note probably won't do anything, though it can't hurt.

Do you have a neighbor that can sign for it?

A note will work most of the time... but not with an 18+/21+ signature required. UPS and FedEx will both require someone to physically sign for it at time of delivery in these cases. As others have suggested you can have it rerouted. If that doesn't work you can also pick it up at their facility later on the day they attempt delivery (I believe this is the case with UPS - I know you can with FedEx)

THis just happened to me recently; they will leave a slip on your door saying that they tried to deliver it but it requires a signature. On that slip will be a delivery number (or something like that), go on the website and put that number in where you can enter the tracking numbers.

You can then make a selection on what you want them to do with it, I had them leave it at the UPS pick-up location which was open until 6:30pm. Was able to grab it after work that way, or you can reschedule the time (for a fee) to after 5pm.

Dan

Its the shipper requiring the signature, not UPS. They can also instruct UPS to deliever to the address on the package only.

I bought my upper from BCM a few months back, they gave me a tracking # with my order confirmation which I just clicked on and it opened up a UPS quantum shipping page which showed me exactly where the package was, it was nice, and it also required a signature. They never said anything about any age requirement but I was off for a few days so being at home wasnt an issue, good luck.

If it is marked for an adult signature, only an adult can sign for it. You can leave a note, but they will not leave it. I have them hold it and I pick it up myself. It takes me an hour to go get it and come back, but it beats staying home or not receiving it.
I just got some ammo from FedEx adult signature required, and I left a note asking if he could call me. He did and I was about 2 miles away. I met him on his route and grabbed it.

I am a UPS driver and leaving a note will not do the trick. The shipper pays us to make sure that we get a signature from someone at the residence with a valid ID. We are also prompted in our DIAD's (hand held delivery information acquisition device) that we must get a signature from someone 21+. In order to complete the stop, a signature MUST be made. If no one is home, and we sign FOR you, we become liable for that package, not to mention I could be fired for doing so. Generally speaking, I would only ask for ID if the person appeared to be around 21. Aside from that I may flatter the missus' of the house if she is in fact a MILF.

If someone cannot be home to sign for it, your best bet would be to call the local UPS hub and have them hold the package for pick up. If you would like it delivered somehow, I would suggest calling the number on the Delivery Notice and try to have the package re-routed to your place of business. After 3 delivery attempts have been made, the package will be held at the local UPS hub for 5 days before it is returned to the shipper.

Personally, for a more hassle-free experience I would call and have them hold it for pick up. Less variables to go wrong.

There are some driver's that will falsify documents by signing for you and leaving the package out of laziness and not having to return the next day, but they run the risk of getting fired. So there are some people that will have the experience that a nice note, or "leave it with a neighbor" may work.
However, with an Over 21 Signature-required package, we are required to get such and not from the neighbor, but an actual resident of the home.

Last edited:
A note will work most of the time... but not with an 18+/21+ signature required. UPS and FedEx will both require someone to physically sign for it at time of delivery in these cases. As others have suggested you can have it rerouted. If that doesn't work you can also pick it up at their facility later on the day they attempt delivery (I believe this is the case with UPS - I know you can with FedEx)

FedEx also left a signature required package worth over $500 in the middle of my front porch, with no note or anything from me indicating that was okay.

I try to help in any reasonable way I can WRT getting people their stuff. Depending on the day and how screwed I am

(NOTE: even on "easy" days I'm still BUSY. Only 2 types of days: Busy and Screwed)

That being said if you leave a note having me call you, I may or may not and I'll tell you why. My cell phone is not a work phone. I have a certain amount of plan minutes just like alot of other people. If you aren't home, it's not my responsibility to call you on my dime and also alter my very structured work day to accomodate you. I have gladly done it in the past, and I have also scoffed at such a note.
I try to be the nicest possible guy that I can, but there are days where I just don't want to nor can't go above and beyond the call of duty.

On a side note, it's always funny when I'm parked on lunch and someone will approach the truck or drive up next to me and ask, "Do you have my package?"

"Depends on who you are Sir/Ma'am"

[rolleyes]....Can a brotha get a face-palm please?[laugh]

I asked if it was possible or not. If he didnt call me I understand. I know it was his personal phone and that was also in my note. I asked nicely because I wanted to improve my chances of the call. If he didn't I would have gone to the hub and picked it up. When I thanked him for calling he said he'd rather get it off his truck than have to keep trying to deliver it.

In my dealings with UPS and 'Signature Required'. They would not accept a note. They would not leave it with a neighbor. They would not reroute the package. I would get three attempted delivery notes and then have to pick it up at a hub about an hour away. Fedex on the other hand, may be a little lax on their delivery security, but I have never had to go get my packages anywhere.

Once I intercepted the UPS truck in town and was able to sign for a package there. ID Required.

I asked if it was possible or not. If he didnt call me I understand. I know it was his personal phone and that was also in my note. I asked nicely because I wanted to improve my chances of the call. If he didn't I would have gone to the hub and picked it up. When I thanked him for calling he said he'd rather get it off his truck than have to keep trying to deliver it.

Depending on where the stop is located and how busy I am with how big the pkg is, alot of the time I'll call just to get it off.

No matter what, on the last day that I can attempt to deliver it I call because it's the last attempt. I know how it is to anxiously wait for something, and I've never had anyone not be anything but appreciative for doing so

I try to help in any reasonable way I can WRT getting people their stuff. Depending on the day and how screwed I am

(NOTE: even on "easy" days I'm still BUSY. Only 2 types of days: Busy and Screwed)

Well, I see some things haven't changed since I changes jobs 12 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom