US Army's New Heavy M4 Barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.
and when this whole barrel is dropped into the mud and all those nice exterior flutings are totally covered with clay and it all is under the handguard - then what? dunno, i do not like what i see there, at all.
and a cost to produce all that - on a mass produced military barrel? gosh.
If it's under a handguard, how much mud is really getting to the barrel? if said mud is thin enough to flow, then it'll dry and shake right off. If it's thick enough to clog the fins, it shouldn't be flowing easily under your furniture.

The OP has me thinking things I have not thought of before. What if the rifling twist varied as the bullet speeds up instead of a fixed rate. Would this not decrease friction therefore heat produced?

On a side note I love these one and done mystery posters. From the one who got ripped by Mr. MMA to that Hummer dude who ran for NRA board that guy posted some great vintage ballistics literature... All great stuff. Go NES!
they call it gain twist and it exists.

Interesting that after the Rutherford County, TN government extorted me to the point of forcing an auction of my property in a storage unit, including digital files containing proprietary information, that I see another of my inventions being produced by others. Yes, the design patent (spiral flutes) works with the proprietary manufacturing process awarded in the utility patent. How would I know that a novel manufacturing process is involved? Simple. I'm the actual inventor. Under Republican governments at the local, state, and national levels patent theft has run f_cking wild! Ward W. Brien at Sniper Tools Design and Ronnie Barrett at Barrett Firearms are going to pay for their insolence.
Everybody take a close look and see if the exterior spiral fluting corresponds to the internal rifling. There is a reason for this arrangement. The Army hasn't disclosed the specifics about the utility patent and I'm not going to reveal my concept either. I will say this. They are correct that this new barrel can handle more cyclical fire than older versions. Heat dissipation does play a role but that's not the only thing going on, I can assure you!View attachment 465936

You should have invented file encryption 🤷‍♂️

Interesting that after the Rutherford County, TN government extorted me to the point of forcing an auction of my property in a storage unit, including digital files containing proprietary information, that I see another of my inventions being produced by others. Yes, the design patent (spiral flutes) works with the proprietary manufacturing process awarded in the utility patent. How would I know that a novel manufacturing process is involved? Simple. I'm the actual inventor. Under Republican governments at the local, state, and national levels patent theft has run f_cking wild! Ward W. Brien at Sniper Tools Design and Ronnie Barrett at Barrett Firearms are going to pay for their insolence.
Everybody take a close look and see if the exterior spiral fluting corresponds to the internal rifling. There is a reason for this arrangement. The Army hasn't disclosed the specifics about the utility patent and I'm not going to reveal my concept either. I will say this. They are correct that this new barrel can handle more cyclical fire than older versions. Heat dissipation does play a role but that's not the only thing going on, I can assure you!View attachment 465936
Since the army holds the design and utility patent and as far as I can tell there isn't a patent on manufacturing process I don't know what your actual recourse is going to be. I wouldn't be shocked to see them licensing the design to existing suppliers to utilize.

huh? did you ever run a 10km cross with a rifle on you? i did. when you crawl up the river bank you are covered in this shit completely. what water, what air? you can piss on it, perhaps, true, that water you`ve got.
Oh please, tell me more about infantry life based on a 10k trail race with a rifle 😄

These flutes will not cause issues for maneuver elements... or anybody else. They get mud in them? Oh well.

No, but would some barrel flutes really make a functional difference in the outcome of a bunch of sludge getting in your handguard? I'm betting its going to be pretty dirty
regardless. Having a round profile will not magically divorce the exterior of your barrel of muck.

Oh please, tell me more about infantry life based on a 10k trail race with a rifle 😄

These flutes will not cause issues for maneuver elements... or anybody else. They get mud in them? Oh well.

Barrel fins have been on military guns since at least the Hotchkiss machine gun line and the Hotchkiss was known for being pretty reliable. Fins or fluting don't impact much besides weight and cooling. Reality is that we don't see fluted barrels on military guns because of the cost; military-issue guns have been about 3MOA on average since the invention of smokeless powder, so why spend money on fluted barrels?

Barrel fins have been on military guns since at least the Hotchkiss machine gun line and the Hotchkiss was known for being pretty reliable. Fins or fluting don't impact much besides weight and cooling. Reality is that we don't see fluted barrels on military guns because of the cost; military-issue guns have been about 3MOA on average since the invention of smokeless powder, so why spend money on fluted barrels?
The heavy barrel on the M4A1 and Mk18 are super accurate for what they are. Sub 1.5 MOA can frequently be had with M855A1. Heck, I’ve gotten a number of 1-1.5 MOA groups with normal M4s. I realize that expands with more rounds in the measurement, but modern M4-based carbines are pretty damned accurate for their role.

If the fluting can be done cheaply enough (which I think the new proposed barrels can be), then it is a no brainer for the weight savings on a full auto capable carbine.

Last edited:
The heavy barrel on the M4A1 and Mk18 are super accurate for what they are. Sub 1.5 MOA can frequently be had with M855A1. Heck, I’ve gotten a number of 1-1.5 MOA groups with normal M4s. I realize that expands with more rounds in the measurement, but modern M4-based carbines are pretty damned accurate for their role.

If the fluting can be done cheaply enough (which I think the new proposed barrels can be), then it is a no brainer for the weight savings on a full auto capable carbine.
Honestly if every soldiers gun cost $200 more it wouldn't matter, DOD spends a relative pittance on small arms.

The OP has me thinking things I have not thought of before. What if the rifling twist varied as the bullet speeds up instead of a fixed rate. Would this not decrease friction therefore heat produced?

On a side note I love these one and done mystery posters. From the one who got ripped by Mr. MMA to that Hummer dude who ran for NRA board that guy posted some great vintage ballistics literature... All great stuff. Go NES!
Carcano rifles had gain twist IIRC

Interesting that after the Rutherford County, TN government extorted me to the point of forcing an auction of my property in a storage unit, including digital files containing proprietary information, that I see another of my inventions being produced by others.
So you're claiming that the county, state and federal governments conspired with persons unknown to prevent you from paying the rent on your storage unit in order to get possession of some digital files? Why didn't they just cut the lock and take what they wanted?

If you’re looking at the names of the OP claims stole his intellectual property. That will be an 8 to 10 you’re a lawsuit for sure..Likely cost more money than designs worth

And everyone knows if you drop your rifle in the mud. You throw it into a cleaner puddle. And use oil from the nearest dipstick on your vehicle.

If it's under a handguard, how much mud is really getting to the barrel? if said mud is thin enough to flow, then it'll dry and shake right off. If it's thick enough to clog the fins, it shouldn't be flowing easily under your furniture.
Spend a mukti week field exercise in the wet Georgia clay of Fort Benning or the slop of Hohenfells germany and you'll know how much mud can get under a handguard. ALOT is the right answer.

Spend a mukti week field exercise in the wet Georgia clay of Fort Benning or the slop of Hohenfells germany and you'll know how much mud can get under a handguard. ALOT is the right answer.
Hohenfels, Vilseck, Grafenwör, Wildflecken... where you can stand knee deep in half-frozen mud and have dust blow in your eye.

Hohenfels, Vilseck, Grafenwör, Wildflecken... where you can stand knee deep in half-frozen mud and have dust blow in your eye.
MSR Tampa iraq 2003......it literally rained mud for an hour! There was a dust storm raging for a whole day.......then in the afternoon it rained......atmosphere was so full of dust the rain was actually f***ing brown. I said to myself "lord.....just let me friggin die now ive seen it all". 🤣

I'll defer to y'all, your experience here is obviously more than my own.

I guess my point was simply that the only meaningful difference between the barrels profiles should be cleaning effort. It shouldn't affect performance. But I've been wrong before.

Hohenfels.....when your company is opfor and you wake-up at 0300 to go sit in the back of a freezing cold m113 and wait.....and wait.....and wait.....for 5 hours for Bluefor to get their shit together to finally execute the lane. 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom