USCG MST

Hey guys,

I'm leaving for USCG boot camp in just 2 months. I'm choosing to go to MST A-school when I finally get to put my name on the list. I'm looking for other MSTs and wondering what your favorite/least favorite aspects of the job are.

Hey guys,

I'm leaving for USCG boot camp in just 2 months. I'm choosing to go to MST A-school when I finally get to put my name on the list. I'm looking for other MSTs and wondering what your favorite/least favorite aspects of the job are.

1. Is that a guaranteed "A" School?
2. MST is a great rate if you are looking to clean birds
3. Ever deploy a boom? You will learn quickly
4. Change your avatar. That is a Gloucester Motor Life Boat, not a boom puller.

Seriously though, MSTs are highly sought out after enlistments due to specialized training in HazMat. The Strike teams are great places for an MST, but most likely you will end up at an MSO/MSU. Some of those units are in pretty sketchy places (Homa Louisiana, Lake Charles). If you are looking to get into a HazMat field post service, this is a great place to start.

Take advantage of the tuition assistance, and any college opportunities any of the units have (some units have classes at night from a local college). Leave the CG with a degree if you don't have one now.

If you end up at a small boat unit post basic, you may enjoy being a knuckle dragger. I went in thinking I would be an electrician, and ended up as a BM, and loved 98% of my time in the CG. YMMV. If you have any questions that are more direct, feel free to PM me. I retired in 2011.

BMC sends.

Oh yeah,

From what I remember of basic at Cape May, the time frame you are going is miserable for weather..... I checked in to CM on July 10 and left 9 weeks later (for some reason I couldn't pass the First Aid week, and had to do it again). Try to be good in Wildwood....

1. Is that a guaranteed "A" School?
2. MST is a great rate if you are looking to clean birds
3. Ever deploy a boom? You will learn quickly
4. Change your avatar. That is a Gloucester Motor Life Boat, not a boom puller.

Seriously though, MSTs are highly sought out after enlistments due to specialized training in HazMat. The Strike teams are great places for an MST, but most likely you will end up at an MSO/MSU. Some of those units are in pretty sketchy places (Homa Louisiana, Lake Charles). If you are looking to get into a HazMat field post service, this is a great place to start.

Take advantage of the tuition assistance, and any college opportunities any of the units have (some units have classes at night from a local college). Leave the CG with a degree if you don't have one now.

If you end up at a small boat unit post basic, you may enjoy being a knuckle dragger. I went in thinking I would be an electrician, and ended up as a BM, and loved 98% of my time in the CG. YMMV. If you have any questions that are more direct, feel free to PM me. I retired in 2011.

BMC sends.

I thought a very long time about being an MK or BM. I qualified for everything with my ASVAB, so I decided to do the most challenging rate, that still kept me excited. So who knows, I could always change my mind back again. I already have a degree, but I'm hoping to turn it into a Master's. Thanks for all the advice, its very much appreciated.

As for the weather, are we talking black flag days?

Edit: Not sure if its guaranteed or not.

Last edited:
I thought a very long time about being an MK or BM. I qualified for everything with my ASVAB, so I decided to do the most challenging rate, that still kept me excited. So who knows, I could always change my mind back again. I already have a degree, but I'm hoping to turn it into a Master's. Thanks for all the advice, its very much appreciated.

As for the weather, are we talking black flag days?

Yes, Black Flag days. We got ran anyway.

If you have a degree already, you will come out of basic as an E-3. MST is a deck rating, so you will be an SN out of the gate. I'm not sure how duty selection is done now, but back in the day, you picked from the available billets based on how you place score-wise during basic.

When it comes time for selecting your first duty station, choose it rate specific. If there are no MSO/MSU/Strike billets, get underway. That's the one thing I regret is never getting underway on a cutter. If you can get on the MST list right away, do it. Some units require that you get certified your billet position before you are allowed to be placed on any list. For example, at a small boat unit, you may have to certify COMMS watch & Boat Crew before getting placed on an A school list. Underway, they may want you to complete you DCPQS and underway watch/helm before being placed.

Once you get to your first unit, don't screw around. Get your certs done (hindsight being 20/20, they are fairly easy, especially if you have already "been in the real world"), then get the MRN PO stuff done right away. It'll give you a leg up on advancement and help you out after school. Once your certs are done, life gets a little easier.

You will wash dishes AT LEAST once as the messcook. I actually enjoyed this, but the cooks I did it for were pretty cool.

Stay flexible. When I was at Sta Grand Isle, we lost our cooks. I was the Section leader, OOD, Duty BO, Duty Coxswain AND Duty cook for my section for 3 months.

Volunteer for the cool shit. For instance, I enjoyed being the armory PO, the Judgemental instructor, Coxswain trainor etc. At one point I was put in for a tour as UTB instructor for the Ivory Coast (that would have been a cool gig) and range officer.

How is your PE right now? Start running. Start getting used to being yelled at, start doing pull-ups/push ups if you are not used to it now. Get a Boy Scout knot guide and practice the bowline, clove hitch, sheepshank, timber hitch, half hitch, round turns, etc. If your recruiter gave you "The Helmsman" ahead of time (if they still use it) start memorizing it.

Most important as far as I'm concerned, save EVERY SCRAP OF PAPER you generate in regards to your certs, training, U/W time, etc. I just went through 21 years of paper that I saved for my VA claim. It will come in handy. I still have my first set of boat crew PQS sign offs, and the BM2 that signed my stuff off just retired as a BMCM..... I texted him a picture of it.

Yes, Black Flag days. We got ran anyway.

If you have a degree already, you will come out of basic as an E-3. MST is a deck rating, so you will be an SN out of the gate. I'm not sure how duty selection is done now, but back in the day, you picked from the available billets based on how you place score-wise during basic.

When it comes time for selecting your first duty station, choose it rate specific. If there are no MSO/MSU/Strike billets, get underway. That's the one thing I regret is never getting underway on a cutter. If you can get on the MST list right away, do it. Some units require that you get certified your billet position before you are allowed to be placed on any list. For example, at a small boat unit, you may have to certify COMMS watch & Boat Crew before getting placed on an A school list. Underway, they may want you to complete you DCPQS and underway watch/helm before being placed.

Once you get to your first unit, don't screw around. Get your certs done (hindsight being 20/20, they are fairly easy, especially if you have already "been in the real world"), then get the MRN PO stuff done right away. It'll give you a leg up on advancement and help you out after school. Once your certs are done, life gets a little easier.

You will wash dishes AT LEAST once as the messcook. I actually enjoyed this, but the cooks I did it for were pretty cool.

Stay flexible. When I was at Sta Grand Isle, we lost our cooks. I was the Section leader, OOD, Duty BO, Duty Coxswain AND Duty cook for my section for 3 months.

Volunteer for the cool shit. For instance, I enjoyed being the armory PO, the Judgemental instructor, Coxswain trainor etc. At one point I was put in for a tour as UTB instructor for the Ivory Coast (that would have been a cool gig) and range officer.

How is your PE right now? Start running. Start getting used to being yelled at, start doing pull-ups/push ups if you are not used to it now. Get a Boy Scout knot guide and practice the bowline, clove hitch, sheepshank, timber hitch, half hitch, round turns, etc. If your recruiter gave you "The Helmsman" ahead of time (if they still use it) start memorizing it.

Most important as far as I'm concerned, save EVERY SCRAP OF PAPER you generate in regards to your certs, training, U/W time, etc. I just went through 21 years of paper that I saved for my VA claim. It will come in handy. I still have my first set of boat crew PQS sign offs, and the BM2 that signed my stuff off just retired as a BMCM..... I texted him a picture of it.

You're the best source of information I've had on this yet! Do you think its wise to try to get afloat and get on a cutter right out of the gate? As For my PE, I'm in fairly good shape from being a personal trainer (currently part-time), and as far as knots I'm an Eagle Scout, but could always use a touch up on my knots. Hopefully I can get the Helmsman ahead of time. They do still use it.

So can I assume that the station I first pick I will be doing a lot of the non-rate work while I work on my certs before A-School? It will also be the shortest stay in a unit? It seems like that's the status quo.

You're the best source of information I've had on this yet! Do you think its wise to try to get afloat and get on a cutter right out of the gate? As For my PE, I'm in fairly good shape from being a personal trainer (currently part-time), and as far as knots I'm an Eagle Scout, but could always use a touch up on my knots. Hopefully I can get the Helmsman ahead of time. They do still use it.

So can I assume that the station I first pick I will be doing a lot of the non-rate work while I work on my certs before A-School? It will also be the shortest stay in a unit? It seems like that's the status quo.

If you get a shore unit (small boat unit), that's exactly right. They will give you a timeline to get certified. Then you will be there until your number comes up on the A School list. Here's the deal. You may end up liking the idea of driving the boats. I know I did. But there is also the financial side to this. Waiting on an A School list can be cost prohibitive, in my opinion.

A wise BM2 that I never listened to in regards to this subject, once said to me "the only thing you are doing by not advancing right now is losing money". I was a nonrate for much longer than anyone should be. In fact, I didn't make BM3 until I was almost 6 years into my career. Back then, the BM rate was so locked up, I waited on the advancement list for over a year. But I also didn't take the end of course tests very seriously in the beginning. So keep that in mind. The only thing you lose out on by waiting, is money.

Go to a small boat unit, chances are you will pick a weed or two, mow some grass, paint a room, wax a floor, wash some dishes. Even when you are certified. Think of it as Fireman's duty. When a firefighter goes onto duty, they cook and clean for themselves as well.

Being an Eagle Scout gets you out of basic as an E-3 as well. Do yourself a favor, don't show off too much in boot. It's a double edged sword.

As for right out of the gate, you're going to have 2 choices. Ashore or Afloat. How cemented are you right now in your community? My issue was I wanted to be near home. I had such a good infrastructure (read: friends) that I didn't want to leave. I went home every weekend I had off (I was stationed at Manasquan Inlet as my first unit. The CO there now is a friend of mine), and was never really too far away from Nashua.

I transferred to Gloucester from the 'squan as an E-3, to be a part of the 47' MLB test team. That got me even CLOSER to Nashua. In the end, that was a mistake, I should have gone elsewhere. I should have gone to a ship. I was so concerned about my family/friends and their lives, I ignored my own.

My advice? If you are not married/with a girlfriend/tied to a location, pick a unit away. Outside of your comfort zone. Got a girlfriend? Pick one that is away. Married? Happy wife, happy life, but you need to know that your wife, girlfriend, family are not standard issue in your seabag.

If you get a shore unit (small boat unit), that's exactly right. They will give you a timeline to get certified. Then you will be there until your number comes up on the A School list. Here's the deal. You may end up liking the idea of driving the boats. I know I did. But there is also the financial side to this. Waiting on an A School list can be cost prohibitive, in my opinion.

A wise BM2 that I never listened to in regards to this subject, once said to me "the only thing you are doing by not advancing right now is losing money". I was a nonrate for much longer than anyone should be. In fact, I didn't make BM3 until I was almost 6 years into my career. Back then, the BM rate was so locked up, I waited on the advancement list for over a year. But I also didn't take the end of course tests very seriously in the beginning. So keep that in mind. The only thing you lose out on by waiting, is money.

Go to a small boat unit, chances are you will pick a weed or two, mow some grass, paint a room, wax a floor, wash some dishes. Even when you are certified. Think of it as Fireman's duty. When a firefighter goes onto duty, they cook and clean for themselves as well.

Being an Eagle Scout gets you out of basic as an E-3 as well. Do yourself a favor, don't show off too much in boot. It's a double edged sword.

As for right out of the gate, you're going to have 2 choices. Ashore or Afloat. How cemented are you right now in your community? My issue was I wanted to be near home. I had such a good infrastructure (read: friends) that I didn't want to leave. I went home every weekend I had off (I was stationed at Manasquan Inlet as my first unit. The CO there now is a friend of mine), and was never really too far away from Nashua.

I transferred to Gloucester from the 'squan as an E-3, to be a part of the 47' MLB test team. That got me even CLOSER to Nashua. In the end, that was a mistake, I should have gone elsewhere. I should have gone to a ship. I was so concerned about my family/friends and their lives, I ignored my own.

My advice? If you are not married/with a girlfriend/tied to a location, pick a unit away. Outside of your comfort zone. Got a girlfriend? Pick one that is away. Married? Happy wife, happy life, but you need to know that your wife, girlfriend, family are not standard issue in your seabag.

Man, the last paragraph is the exact reason I joined. I'm leaving behind my small family and my girlfriend. But I'm doing this for me. I had a moment when I woke up and knew I would resent every single person I know and love because I didn't do what was best for me. That scared me into doing what my heart needs to do. I feel like I need to go to the fleet afloat. But its really nice to know that maybe I'm not selfish for wanting to serve away.

Thank you so much for your advice. Its really good to hear from someone who has been there and done it.

Last edited:
Man, the last paragraph is the exact reason I joined. I'm leaving behind my small family and my girlfriend. But I'm doing this for me. I had a moment when I woke up and knew I would resent every single person I know and love because I didn't do what was best for me. That scared me into doing what my heart needs to do. I feel like I need to go to the fleet afloat. But its really nice to know that maybe I'm not selfish for wanting to serve away.

Thank you so much for your advice. Its really good to hear from someone who has been there and done it.

When you say "my small family", does that include your own kids? Does that mean like a mom & dad and a sister or something like that?

How invested in your relationship with this girlfriend are you? My advice honestly, leave, don't look back until say next Christmas for leave (vacation) if you are in-port. Long distance relationships suck ass, and most times, you end up "loving the one you're with". It can be done however, it just sucks ass. Some other advice: relationships in different zip codes will be found out. But that story is long, confusing and will not be aired out here, even though I am still friendly with all of them, and the statute of limitations has far gone by.

If she writes to you enough that you get a letter every day while you are in basic, she might be a keeper......

I joined before the internet. I had to do all my research at a library, and didn't know anyone that had been in the CG, only the Navy and Marines. In this day and age, there is so much information available.

Dakar652
shoulda joined the Marines :p

Everyone has a different set of goals. I was more interested in SAR than anything else, that's why I chose the CG.

If you want a real, no bullshit tour, explaination of small boat station life, and you live close to Portsmouth, go ask for a tour at the station. Go during the week, in the daytime and ask for the OIC to chat it up with you. He's my old roommate and was the MC at my retirement. Solid guy, loves karaoke, hell of a nice family.

Just tell him Ron recommended he talk to you. If you want to set that up, let me know, I'll shoot him a text.

If you want a real, no bullshit tour, explaination of small boat station life, and you live close to Portsmouth, go ask for a tour at the station. Go during the week, in the daytime and ask for the OIC to chat it up with you. He's my old roommate and was the MC at my retirement. Solid guy, loves karaoke, hell of a nice family.

Just tell him Ron recommended he talk to you. If you want to set that up, let me know, I'll shoot him a text.

I'm in South Central NH. I mean something like that really couldn't hurt. Its finding the time that's the hard part. It would actually be super awesome to see what its like at a station like that. Especially because that seems to be the best place to end up.

I got guaranteed district based on ASVAB scores and chose D5 but I ended up not liking being far from home. I think I'd have enjoyed things more if I had been stationed in D1. Did my four years and got out as an MK3. Of course, now I drive boats for a living. :)

I got guaranteed district based on ASVAB scores and chose D5 but I ended up not liking being far from home. I think I'd have enjoyed things more if I had been stationed in D1. Did my four years and got out as an MK3. Of course, now I drive boats for a living. :)

So you chose D5 and did your non-rate time, went to A school, and returned to D5 for the remainder of your service?

MK was also a "strike rate" back then, Same as BM. He may have made MK3 at his first unit, stayed and RELAD.

In fact, I believe BM and MK are still strikeable ratings. I struck BM. (Strike = OJT & End of course testing)

MK was also a "strike rate" back then, Same as BM. He may have made MK3 at his first unit, stayed and RELAD.

In fact, I believe BM and MK are still strikeable ratings. I struck BM. (Strike = OJT & End of course testing)

Man I definitely love the idea of a strikeable rating. I'm way more of a hands on learner, How long does it take to strike? and how does RELAD work into that? It seems like a pain in the ass. If I end up on a cutter can I still strike into MK or BM?

Man I definitely love the idea of a strikeable rating. I'm way more of a hands on learner, How long does it take to strike? and how does RELAD work into that? It seems like a pain in the ass. If I end up on a cutter can I still strike into MK or BM?
Striking a rating is "easy". Get your certs done, then get the PQS packets together (or whatever the hell they are called now), then go to town. Order the courses, study, test, complete. Put in request to be put on the advancement list, command endorsement, done. I believe you will need to do the BM3 test, the Navigation Rules test and the MRN PO test. The PQS is the on the job stuff (splicing double braded nylon, paint stuff, boatswain pipe, etc.....). Then, break in Coxswain........

RELAD is release from active duty (separation, end of enlistment)

The way it broke down, once upon a time was:

Commswatch: 2 weeks
Boatcrew: 90 days (it may be more now)
Coxswain: 6 months

This is at a small boat unit though.....

Yes, you can strike at a cutter as well....

Last edited:
Striking a rating is "easy". Get your certs done, then get the PQS packets together (or whatever the hell they are called now), then go to town. Order the courses, study, test, complete. Put in request to be put on the advancement list, command endorsement, done. I believe you will need to do the BM3 test, the Navigation Rules test and the MRN PO test. The PQS is the on the job stuff (splicing double braded nylon, paint stuff, boatswain pipe, etc.....). Then, break in Coxswain........

RELAD is release from active duty (separation, end of enlistment)

The way it broke down, once upon a time was:

Commswatch: 2 weeks
Boatcrew: 90 days (it may be more now)
Coxswain: 6 months

This is at a small boat unit though.....

Yes, you can strike at a cutter as well....

No mas. I think FS and maybe DC are the only rates left open for strikers. All Boatswain's Mates are now produced at the former QM 'A' School, which is now considered to be BM 'A'. Different rant for a different day. I struck and sat on that damned list forever - then when I was finally number one for the month - they cleared the entire thing. Bastards.

Nav Rules is no longer - it's DWO (closed or open book for recert) across the board now. I really don't think it's a harder test than the NavRules test was, though.

The MRN is now the 'E-PME' system - and as much as I miss having non-rates begging to clean guns and paint stuff to get sign-offs, the current pracs are much more applicable to today's Coast Guard. A lot more relevant than 'put these medals in order' and 'name the components of TQM'.

A lot of units are giving a month for Comms now, and anywhere from 3-6 for Boat Crew. Kinder, gentler, we'll wait on you Coast Guard.

Molon Labe, if you're fortunate enough to end up at a Motor Lifeboat Station (you like back pain?), then I will give you some advice that I'm sure Ron will agree with. GET QUALIFIED AHEAD OF TIME! If you have a month to get comms qualified, do it in two weeks, take it seriously, remember that you're trying to get certified to do the job you're already getting paid to do, and everyone else is relying on you. Get it done ahead of time, and smoke your board the first time. Don't be THAT GUY! Volunteer for stuff. Seriously. You will have a lot more fun, learn a lot more, and be a lot more valuable. Be that non-rate that when the BM1 has a project, we tell our BM2 or BM3 to put you on it because we know you won't **** it up and cause us headaches we don't have time for.

And look out for each other! A 4 man Boat Crew is in serious danger if everyone is looking out for themselves. You look out for everyone else, and they all look out for you. A good Lifeboat crew is an odd thing. I've seen guys that absolutely couldn't stand each other - couldn't even put them in the same duty room or things rowdy, but once that boat gets underway, they worked together better than anyone else. I've had Engineers that, well, probably had no place in today's much more professional, polite Coast Guard, and aren't the type you'd turn to for help with your calculus homework, but are the only guys in the world you want on your Lifeboat as your right hand man.

Be the guy that every Heavy Weather Coxswain WANTS on their ready boat when it's dark and shitty.

If I remember tomorrow morning, and I actually make it to my desk, I'll take a look and see how long the wait is for MST school right now. Usually one of the longer lists. I'll drop a line to a buddy of mine that went through MST 'A' School just a few years ago and ask him what the day to day is for MST's nowadays.

No mas. I think FS and maybe DC are the only rates left open for strikers. All Boatswain's Mates are now produced at the former QM 'A' School, which is now considered to be BM 'A'. Different rant for a different day. I struck and sat on that damned list forever - then when I was finally number one for the month - they cleared the entire thing. Bastards.
Oh my. That stupid friggen merger. Every QM though they were a boat driver right off. LMAO

Nav Rules is no longer - it's DWO (closed or open book for recert) across the board now. I really don't think it's a harder test than the NavRules test was, though.
I hated both of those damn tests.

The MRN is now the 'E-PME' system - and as much as I miss having non-rates begging to clean guns and paint stuff to get sign-offs, the current pracs are much more applicable to today's Coast Guard. A lot more relevant than 'put these medals in order' and 'name the components of TQM'.
I don't ever remember the TQM question. I think I did the E-PME for E-7, but that was like 2006?

A lot of units are giving a month for Comms now, and anywhere from 3-6 for Boat Crew. Kinder, gentler, we'll wait on you Coast Guard.
I got in so much trouble when the CG started to change in that direction

Molon Labe, if you're fortunate enough to end up at a Motor Lifeboat Station (you like back pain?), then I will give you some advice that I'm sure Ron will agree with. GET QUALIFIED AHEAD OF TIME! If you have a month to get comms qualified, do it in two weeks, take it seriously, remember that you're trying to get certified to do the job you're already getting paid to do, and everyone else is relying on you. Get it done ahead of time, and smoke your board the first time. Don't be THAT GUY! Volunteer for stuff. Seriously. You will have a lot more fun, learn a lot more, and be a lot more valuable. Be that non-rate that when the BM1 has a project, we tell our BM2 or BM3 to put you on it because we know you won't **** it up and cause us headaches we don't have time for.

And look out for each other! A 4 man Boat Crew is in serious danger if everyone is looking out for themselves. You look out for everyone else, and they all look out for you. A good Lifeboat crew is an odd thing. I've seen guys that absolutely couldn't stand each other - couldn't even put them in the same duty room or things rowdy, but once that boat gets underway, they worked together better than anyone else. I've had Engineers that, well, probably had no place in today's much more professional, polite Coast Guard, and aren't the type you'd turn to for help with your calculus homework, but are the only guys in the world you want on your Lifeboat as your right hand man.

Be the guy that every Heavy Weather Coxswain WANTS on their ready boat when it's dark and shitty.

If I remember tomorrow morning, and I actually make it to my desk, I'll take a look and see how long the wait is for MST school right now. Usually one of the longer lists. I'll drop a line to a buddy of mine that went through MST 'A' School just a few years ago and ask him what the day to day is for MST's nowadays.
Bolded stuff, times 100000000.

I was waiting for you to pipe up. It's been a while (but not that long, lets not get out of control here) since I did a lot of that stuff.

MST 'A' School 21-24 month projected wait. Need to be at your first unit for four months before putting your name on the list.

One other thought: can you shoot? Well? If you can consistently qualify with a Sig P229R-DAK, and consistently demonstrate a high level of maturity and judgment, your Ops Boss will be very happy with you. Get qualified, do it fast, do it well, leave no doubts. Nothing will make a better impression. It is a very professional and very selective profession, even compared to 5 years ago, let alone 15. Most people coming in have 4 year degrees, and so much as a single DUI will end your career.

Oh my. That stupid friggen merger. Every QM though they were a boat driver right off. LMAO

I hated both of those damn tests.

I don't ever remember the TQM question. I think I did the E-PME for E-7, but that was like 2006?

I got in so much trouble when the CG started to change in that direction

Bolded stuff, times 100000000.

I was waiting for you to pipe up. It's been a while (but not that long, lets not get out of control here) since I did a lot of that stuff.

Hey woah, I didn't check this all night until now. I was with my recruiter all day signing my 8 year contract. I'm glad you guys are here for the info and support. After talking to him I'm putting in for a cutter in District 1. I'm hoping that this will give me all the experience and time to qual for stuff that I need. Is this a good idea, or do you boys think something different?

- - - Updated - - -

He's gonna smoke the shooting quals [smile]

I had a good teacher, dude. You da man.

No, came back to D1 after A school. I guess my 'getting out after 4' comment didn't relate directly to my other statement.

Oh, I understand now. Cool, I'm finding it hard to leave New England. I may end up a lifer in NE or the Carolinas or at worst somewhere down south on the East Coast.

- - - Updated - - -

That will make a lot of people in his duty section very happy. Non-rates that stand extra duty to cover the ones that can't qualify don't seem to enjoy it, for some odd reason.

Yeah I'm pretty confident on the shooting, my marksmanship is above average.

Back
Top Bottom