USCG MST

Good luck! Be nice to the Auxiliarists you run into :)

Good advice right there. Don't be that dickhead that dismisses the Auxiliary as nothing but a nuisance that smells like moth balls. Those guys are volunteering to do the job you're getting paid for, and can do a LOT for the unit, and for you, if you just let them, and appreciate them. If you think they're only good for VSC's and public education, that's all you'll ever get. If you use your head, you'll find they can stand watch, cook, stand Boat Crew (I've worked with Auxiliarists qualified on OUR Lifeboats, under OUR standards). You'll find a lot of them retired from professions that can be very helpful to the unit and to personnel.

But every Aux meeting I've attended - and there's been a hell of a lot - really has smelled like moth balls.

Good advice right there. Don't be that dickhead that dismisses the Auxiliary as nothing but a nuisance that smells like moth balls. Those guys are volunteering to do the job you're getting paid for, and can do a LOT for the unit, and for you, if you just let them, and appreciate them. If you think they're only good for VSC's and public education, that's all you'll ever get. If you use your head, you'll find they can stand watch, cook, stand Boat Crew (I've worked with Auxiliarists qualified on OUR Lifeboats, under OUR standards). You'll find a lot of them retired from professions that can be very helpful to the unit and to personnel.

But every Aux meeting I've attended - and there's been a hell of a lot - really has smelled like moth balls.
This is really great advice. All of the auxilarists I have known have been awesome. They are some of the most dedicated watchstanders, and have always done fantastic stuff for the crews. The only unit I was at that did not have them was Grand Isle. At Gloucester, we had one certified as OOD. She is also a CPA and did the crewmember's taxes for free......

Both of my brothers are military reserve, I've always believed that regardless of how you serve, if you serve you earn the utmost respect. Even if your skill set is the Rapid Response Moth Dispersion Team.

This is really great advice. All of the auxilarists I have known have been awesome. They are some of the most dedicated watchstanders, and have always done fantastic stuff for the crews. The only unit I was at that did not have them was Grand Isle. At Gloucester, we had one certified as OOD. She is also a CPA and did the crewmember's taxes for free......

From what I hear they seem like awesome people who just wish to serve and be a part of it all. Definitely worth all the respect I'll give them.

Also, I get sworn in Monday boys!

Almost all the Auxiliarists I serve with, throw ourselves into our work. We enjoy helping the Gold Side. I know the ANT in Boston trusted my work and accepted me as one of their own. The crew at CGSTA Boston treated us very nicely, and were always happy to see us.

Almost all the Auxiliarists I serve with, throw ourselves into our work. We enjoy helping the Gold Side. I know the ANT in Boston trusted my work and accepted me as one of their own. The crew at CGSTA Boston treated us very nicely, and were always happy to see us.

I think there is a sort of stigma in the U.S. in general about "volunteer" work. I feel its valued more to be paid to do a bad job than do amazing work for free. Its probably why AD and Reservists look down on Auxiliary members. I never really understood that style of thinking.

From what I hear they seem like awesome people who just wish to serve and be a part of it all. Definitely worth all the respect I'll give them.

Also, I get sworn in Monday boys!

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed you said you were shipping in two months. Enjoy Cape May - seems to have changed a lot in the last 15 years. Make the most of it. I hear you can quit now in boot camp - don't do that.

(A lot of people scorn that particular change, but I think it's great. Why should an operational unit be stuck with someone for 4 years that really doesn't want to be there?)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom