• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

USCG personnel shortage

So personnel shortages are nothing new, but laying up cutters - especially that many - to attempt mitigation IS new. Reading the list of assets getting laid up, mothballed, or declared "redundant" makes me believe it's a lot worse than 10%. Hearing from guys that haven't retired yet that it's much worse than it sounds, and the Coast Guard is trying the same old failed approach of taking fully qualified people from one unit and mission type and moving them to a completely different unit and mission type to band-aid it on paper. It changes the numbers so people that wouldn't know saltwater from dog piss think they did something (or can make it look like they did) but in reality makes the problem worse.

I tried to re-enlist into the Coast Guard when my army time was up years ago. They weren’t interested. Screw them and their shortage.
Same here. Weren’t taking prior service or some BS. So I went Air National Guard.

Still wish I went CG, but I hear I couldn’t have got in even if they were hiring. I’m not 6’ tall, so I couldn’t walk home if the boat sank. Lol

Same here. Weren’t taking prior service or some BS. So I went Air National Guard.

Still wish I went CG, but I hear I couldn’t have got in even if they were hiring. I’m not 6’ tall, so I couldn’t walk home if the boat sank. Lol
I was like 32-33 at the time and the recruiter was acting like I was an old man. He totally shut me down when the said I was prior service for some reason. That was the end of it.

I even called a different recruiter out of state a few days later and got the same treatment. It was like they had no interest in recruiting anyone and the prior service sealed the end for them.

no branch wants prior service. (unless the shit really hits the fan) I tried to go back into the Army in 89 they only wanted 18 year olds. I was an EW intercept tech they couldn't get people to graduate then (failing school) and DA still didn't want me. It worked out for me in the end not going back in was a good thing.

They're taking about anybody they can get, now. I have a friend who contacted a recruiter and is now going through MEPS. She's 38 years old.
Not only that but ask what ASVAB score they need. ASVAB is a 10 grade level test and the Navy is taking people who score a 10 or above.

I'd like to see the list of stations being shut down....
Me too! They said things about stations with SAR redundancies and scheduled mission operations only - we both know what that means. It’ll be a remix of when they addressed the Heavy Weather Coxswain and Surfman shortage by just removing designations from stations. I’ll see if I can get my eyes on something and let you know if I do. I can think of a few of Office of Boat Forces’ favorite targets that I bet are on that list.

Maybe repurpose some of the border patrol guys currently doing the concierge service thing for our treasured migrants?

Me too! They said things about stations with SAR redundancies and scheduled mission operations only - we both know what that means. It’ll be a remix of when they addressed the Heavy Weather Coxswain and Surfman shortage by just removing designations from stations. I’ll see if I can get my eyes on something and let you know if I do. I can think of a few of Office of Boat Forces’ favorite targets that I bet are on that list.
Recruiting and retention is at a ridiculous low. Honestly, it's not hard to see that pay, morale, etc needs to be addressed.....

no branch wants prior service. (unless the shit really hits the fan) I tried to go back into the Army in 89 they only wanted 18 year olds. I was an EW intercept tech they couldn't get people to graduate then (failing school) and DA still didn't want me. It worked out for me in the end not going back in was a good thing.
username checks out

If they are really looking for redundancies, they will shut down the small boat station in Boston. Those guys and the Point Allerton small boat station can almost wave to each other.

Back
Top Bottom