USPSA RIFLE @ New Bedford - Sunday 11/27

Thanks to all who planned and worked the match!

It was a great match!

Would have been more fun for me if I had been shooting something other than a single shot breech loader.

Thanks again!

WTS - Used AR, normal wear and tear plus a few ball peen hammer marks, works great as a single shot.

David E.

Were you the one with the loose gas block?

Were you the one with the loose gas block?
Not sure if it was loose or not, haven't inspected it yet. That could have been the chunk of steel that flew off the barrel when I had to jam a round in the chamber using the forward assist on the last stage.

Actually it’s a stock armalite upper, 16" mid gas (full gas), Jerry M COMP. Lower is using a stock A2 rifle buffer and spring. It was short stroking on full steel mags and Hornady steel match AMMO which is not as slick as brass ammo.

I had installed a 20" rifle length barrel on the upper for most of the year and it ran the steel mags fine with Hornady Steel match ammo.

It also ran fine at the last 3 gun match with the original 16” barrel, but I used all 30 Pmags which are much easier to strip rounds out of.
Plan to replace all springs and add a Tubb’s flat buffer spring and go from there.

I did run about 200 rounds through it after the last cleaning before the match, but again only used the P mags.

David E.

Last edited:
David,
Sorry about the misinformation on your problems. I thought you said something about having an adjustable gas block. Silly gun ranges get noisy with 90+ shooters at a match.
I couldn't see most of the malfunctions as the port was usually away from me when I ran you on the stages.

Well now that I’ve calmed down a little I looked at the scores. Of the 2 stages where the gun worked I had one good run on stage 3, and an ok run on stage 5. I think I was so surprised that the gun worked on stage 5 I forgot to reload and ended up doing a standing reload.

I still shoot too slowly. On the stages I do well, my points are high but I sacrifice too much time getting those points.

David E.

Dan, your hearing is fine, I do have an adjustable gas block but I have it set at full gas. The first time I had this problem I had the stock FSB gas block.

I was the one with the loose gas block [frown] but after it was tightened all was fine [wink] thanks again Mike for your help will not make that mistake twice . Got to shoot with a fast group learned a lot , Great Match lots of fun .

I was the one with the loose gas block [frown] but after it was tightened all was fine [wink] thanks again Mike for your help will not make that mistake twice . Got to shoot with a fast group learned a lot , Great Match lots of fun .
Loctite is your friend! Put 271 on the screws.

Yes sir I was told by a wise man Blue Loctite and I squared it away that night, live and learn.

Yes sir I was told by a wise man Blue Loctite and I squared it away that night, live and learn.

Blue loctite is medium strength. You want 271 for that setup. It's stronger and more heat resistant. Actually I use 680 (retaining compound) But, if you want only a temporary fix, by all means use 242 (blue)

Blue loctite is medium strength. You want 271 for that setup. It's stronger and more heat resistant. Actually I use 680 (retaining compound) But, if you want only a temporary fix, by all means use 242 (blue)

Okay, how do you remove either 271 or 680 if you need to make a change?

How long has it been on the shelf? Loctite has a limited shelf life; about a year, I think.

Fred,
That is a bunch of BS! It has to due with gov't regulations or some crap. Chemically Loctite lasts an extremely long time. I've used stuff that is over 10 years old and it works just fine.
It's kind of like an "expiration" on medications of 1 year. A family member works for Phyzer and he was mentioning that they were setting up a run of a med. I asked when the last run was....the answer "about 5 years ago".

I was kind of thinking the same thing , when I work on trucks I have used the same bottle for years with no problems. Just ran out recently so the stuff I have is new.

Fred,
That is a bunch of BS! It has to due with gov't regulations or some crap. Chemically Loctite lasts an extremely long time. I've used stuff that is over 10 years old and it works just fine.
It's kind of like an "expiration" on medications of 1 year. A family member works for Phyzer and he was mentioning that they were setting up a run of a med. I asked when the last run was....the answer "about 5 years ago".

I have had the stuff go bad. You can tell as the outside of the container gets oily.

Back
Top Bottom