• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New RI Carry Permit Design?

pinefd

NES Member
I just received my new carry permit from the town of Portsmouth, and it looks quite a bit different from my old one that I obtained from Cranston four years ago. And interestingly, the new one doesn't even say anything about the caliber. Does anyone know if these permits are town-specific, with each town deciding what design they want to use, or are all towns using the same design, and the design has recently changed state-wide?

Here are pics of my old Cranston "Concealed Carry Permit" (top in each photo), versus my new "Pistol Permit" from Portsmouth:

full

full

How do these permits compare to those that you have? And if you have something completely different, I'd be interested to see what other towns' permits look like (if you're so inclined).

Thanks!

Frank

I've gotten my permits from West Warwick and my current 1 is North Kingstown and they are very different in looks. They both have the calibers listed but the WW had my home address listed where the NK 1 doesn't

I've gotten my permits from West Warwick and my current 1 is North Kingstown and they are very different in looks. They both have the calibers listed but the WW had my home address listed where the NK 1 doesn't
That just seems so strange to me that every town seems to have their own permit design. Why not standardize it state-wide? It must make it a challenge, at times, for gun stores to tell what's a legit permit or not, when they see one from an out-of-the-way town for the first time.

Frank

I just received my new carry permit from the town of Portsmouth, and it looks quite a bit different from my old one that I obtained from Cranston four years ago. And interestingly, the new one doesn't even say anything about the caliber. Does anyone know if these permits are town-specific, with each town deciding what design they want to use, or are all towns using the same design, and the design has recently changed state-wide?

Here are pics of my old Cranston "Concealed Carry Permit" (top in each photo), versus my new "Pistol Permit" from Portsmouth:

full

full

How do these permits compare to those that you have? And if you have something completely different, I'd be interested to see what other towns' permits look like (if you're so inclined).

Thanks!

Frank
Portsmouth should update the back as the license is issued under 11-47-11 and not 11-47-18.

i’d call them or walk in and have them fix that. It’s not proper.

There is a state standard from almost 50 years ago and it references triplicate form. No one follows it. Plenty of states have local formats for carry licenses, WA, OR, RI, VA, WV, CO, LA, AL, MT, HI, and NV come to mind.

If a gun store is telling someone no because they don’t recognize a local pistol permit then buy from a gun dealer that’s not stupid.

So since your old permit had a specific caliber, were you only allowed to carry a 45 or was the permit tied to a particular firearm?

No. Se RIGL 11-47-15 and 11-47-16.

licenses aren’t handgun specific like CA or NY.
well that's good- Didn't even realize that was a thing in some states but I had to ask since the old license had it listed- just seemed odd to me.

Portsmouth should update the back as the license is issued under 11-47-11 and not 11-47-18.

Haha! Interesting...I hadn't noticed that. And there certainly is a difference:

11-47-18. License or permit issued by attorney general on showing of need — Issuance to retired police officers.
11-47-11. License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver.

Thanks, I will certainly bring that to their attention!

Frank

Haha! Interesting...I hadn't noticed that. And there certainly is a difference:

11-47-18. License or permit issued by attorney general on showing of need — Issuance to retired police officers.
11-47-11. License or permit to carry concealed pistol or revolver.

Thanks, I will certainly bring that to their attention!

Frank
Yeah. They really need to change that.
burriville did that in 2005 and they were embarrassed and quickly fixed it.

they should also put the caliber qualified with so some anti-gun cop doesn’t ”verify” that your permit was issued that covers the Caliber you are carrying.

There is a state standard from almost 50 years ago and it references triplicate form. No one follows it. Plenty of states have local formats for carry licenses, WA, OR, RI, VA, WV, CO, LA, AL, MT, HI, and NV come to mind.

If a gun store is telling someone no because they don’t recognize a local pistol permit then buy from a gun dealer that’s not stupid.

My original NH resident license was like that. Picture a carbon copy receipt book they would use at a school fundraiser or something. I got the white copy. I would assume the town got either the pink or yellow, and the state must have gotten the other. It was literally a piece of paper with my name on it and no picture. It looked like my Mom wrote me a note saying it was ok if I carried a gun.

I called the officer in charge of issuing permits yesterday to let him know, and got a call back from him this morning telling me that he went ahead and issued me a new permit with the correct info on the back! I was impressed by the quick response and turnaround, though I'll have to wait until next week to pick it up, since I'm recovering from Covid right now.

Frank

I called the officer in charge of issuing permits yesterday to let him know, and got a call back from him this morning telling me that he went ahead and issued me a new permit with the correct info on the back! I was impressed by the quick response and turnaround, though I'll have to wait until next week to pick it up, since I'm recovering from Covid right now.

Frank
Just picked up my new permit today with the corrected statute on it. Still no caliber listed on it, though. The issuing officer said that it's not required.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom