Walther PK380, Kahr PM9, or Sig P238?

RichM

Retired Army Veteran
I know, let the brand wars and the caliber wars begin... [mg] [horse] [grenade] [banghead] [devil2]

My wife has been asking "the question"... "when do we get me a carry gun?" She even started saving up some money toward a new purchase.

So today, we went to a rental range, and she tried each of the 3 listed above. Here's a little about her: She's a fairly new shooter; she enjoys shooting a Ruger MkIII 22/45; she shoots occasionally in Pin & Plate competitions, with respectable outcomes; she knows that she'll need more practice; she will only carry occasionally (she can't carry to or at work); she doesn't have a lot of arm strength, so ease of operating the slide is a factor to consider; and she HATES shooting my 2" snub revolver in .38spl - she fires one shot and hands it back to me... "all done."

The Walther PK380 is a NICE gun... the slide racks very easily; 10-rd magazine capacity; it had VERY LITTLE muzzle flip (especially for a polymer-framed gun); and it was comfortable to hold. Drawbacks: it's rather square and bulky compared to the other choices.

The Sig P238 was her favorite: again, the slide racked very easily; the controls matched the 1911 and Ruger 22/45 for location and operability; shot group was very nice; it's an all-steel frame; muzzle flip was manageable; and it was compact. Drawbacks: it's a 6-round magazine (and they retail at $45!.

The Kahr PM9 was also very nice: She noted the heavier recoil, but found that it was manageable; it's size was comparable to the PK380; the controls were reachable and found in the usual places; it was comfortable in the hands; and she said that with practice, she could get used to the muzzle flip. Drawbacks: She had a little more difficulty operating the slide; and the slide locked back on her second shot (with cartridges in the magazine), possibly due to a limp-wristed grip?

She then shot a couple of rounds from a Wilson 1911 in the Commander length... her first time shooting .45acp... she liked it! But that's more of a range gun for her... a little too big to conceal on her frame and stature, and a little heavy for what she wants.

So, my friends, what are your thoughts?

PM9 hands down. .380 sucks. (And right now, it's stupidly hard to find, too. ) BTW, if she wants to reduce the recoil in 9mm she can carry 147 grainers, those tend to be a little softer shooting, or at least it often seems that way. )

Another option might be an MK9. Same size as a PM9 but made out of metal instead of 50% plastic. I had an MK9 and it was a great little carry pistol. I should not have sold it- it was literally "the one that got away".

-Mike

Last edited:
these threads piss me off.

other than the PPS, no ONE gun manufacturer has stepped up to the plate to consider everything the OP mentioned [angry2]

i would love to see a single stack Glock, M&P similar to the Sig239 size, only lighter

the PK380 is "decent" - i wrote a review here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-Walther-products-for-me!!!!-*update-post-42*

[laugh]

I would argue that Kahr has. In fact they have guns directly comparable to the PPS (ie. a bit bigger than the PM9). Unfortunately, most aren't readily available in this state.

PM9 hands down. .380 sucks. (And right now, it's stupidly hard to find, too. ) BTW, if she wants to reduce the recoil in 9mm she can carry 147 grainers, those tend to be a little softer shooting, or at least it often seems that way. )

Another option might be an MK9. Same size as a PM9 but made out of metal instead of 50% plastic. I had an MK9 and it was a great little carry pistol. I should not have sold it- it was literally "the one that got away".

-Mike

Thanks for your input, Mike... I've kept an eye on the PM9's for a while... but the prices never seem to come down!

these threads piss me off.

other than the PPS, no ONE gun manufacturer has stepped up to the plate to consider everything the OP mentioned [angry2]

i would love to see a single stack Glock, M&P similar to the Sig239 size, only lighter

the PK380 is "decent" - i wrote a review here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...-Walther-products-for-me!!!!-*update-post-42*

[laugh]

That thread was classic! I'd forgotten about it... and your humble apology for gettin' it wrong was such a surprise after such a great rant! ([angry][angry][angry][angry][angry] / [angry][angry][angry][angry][angry] on the rant-o-scale.

I just didn't like its bulkiness... when you can carry a 9mm in the same-sized gun.

A little off topic here. I apologize. But where did you find a rental range to test fire guns?

We went to Hoffman's in CT because I knew we wanted to try some guns that might not be available in MA.

I have recently jumped on the Kahr band wagon. I think the Pm9 or Mk9 would be a good choice.

kahr p-9 only because of ammo availability. i have a similar situation where my GF is looking into a carry gun and she loves my sig p239, its easy to shoot and compact enough. if you get a chance to, try one out.

Step 1: decide how she is going to carry.

This being NES, when someone asks which is better: A, B, or C, there is always some guy who says: D. I'm going to be that guy.

Pretty much all of the guns that you mentioned are dedicated pocket guns. As a result, they have a number of compromises that make them harder to shoot. If she's going to carry them in a pocket, then they are reasonable choices. But given the pants most women wear, I doubt she'll be using pocket carry.

If she's going to carry in a belt holster or in her purse, then why get her a pocket gun? You can go slightly larger and have a gun with much less felt recoil, better grip, less muzzle flip, and a longer sight radius. A Kahr K9 has much less felt recoil than a PM9, better grip, longer sight radius, and will easily fit in a purse. It is a heavier, but probably still doable in a purse. The K9 slide is also easier to cycle and lock open than the MK9 -- the spring is lighter and the larger slide gives you better purchase.

I've got a K9, MK9, and PM9. The only times I ever carry my MK9 or PM9 is in a pocket holster. If I'm carrying in a hip holster, I can carry something far easier to shoot than a pocket gun.

Yesterday, Chuck brought his lovely wife to my club to try my K9, MK9, PM9, and K40. She may have changed her mind since then, but at then end of the range session she eliminated the PM9 and K40 and was deciding between the K9 and MK9.

People seem to think: women are little so I'll get them a little gun. But little guns are harder to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom