Wearing empty shoulder holster as Halloween costume?

So is it ok here in MA to wear an empty holster in plain sight as part of a Halloween costume? Wow what a ridiculous question, but I had to ask. Quick replies appreciated. Thanks in advance.

So you're asking if you can wear a couple leather straps and not get in trouble?

Seriously?

In MA, it is not hard to do something that is completely legal and end up getting charge with Disturbing the Peace. It is a nice catch all for anytime they are basically annoyed at you.

QUOTE=drgrant;1622704]It is, but even in MA, carrying a leather pouch is not a big deal. [laugh]

-Mike[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think so, but I dont [banghead]

Strictly legal? Yes. Intelligent? Not hardly, IMO.

This is an intersesting new genre of gunlaw questions for MA...

It doesn't surprise me. Someone I know was told by a police officer it's illegal to carry an empty holster in Mass. There's also a hot female municipal cop in Mass. who believes in order to possess body armor, one must have an LTC-A, and have their LTC # printed on the armor itself. She thinks it's an arrestable offense to possess it otherwise, but will let you off with a verbal warning after tearing your car apart in a roadside search. [thinking]

Seeing as how you can become a felon in this state just for having a piece of brass in your possession without the proper licensing.

An empty shell casing without an FID/LTC/exemption is a 2 year misdemeanor, not a felony. It is a liftetime LTC DQ though.

Hey,

I wore my Harvard Action Shooters' shirt & cap (the same outfit I wore on the Great Wall of China in 2007!), an Alessi CQC/S holster with a "blue" gun, and a mag holder with 2 mags and dummy rounds to our dance studio Halloween party last Thursday! Talk about being non-PC. "If that makes me wrong, I don't wanna' be right."

But the wife made me take off the fake "hardware" before we went into the bar later that night (heh, heh). But she didn't say anything about the P230 in the ankle holster, tho' -- maybe she didn't notice?

TTFN,
F.
:cool:

Last edited:
Durimg this event toy guns are prohibited and will be confiscated. This the statement made by Salem PD each year. Last year I saw them tAke 2 cowboy guns from a little kid dressed in a cowboy costume. His parents were not amused by the police actions. No legal treouble happens, they just take them.

Durimg this event toy guns are prohibited and will be confiscated. This the statement made by Salem PD each year. Last year I saw them tAke 2 cowboy guns from a little kid dressed in a cowboy costume. His parents were not amused by the police actions. No legal treouble happens, they just take them.

And in typical MA fashion, no one challenges it...[thinking]

What? I wear my full CAS Gear sometimes for Halloween. Cartridge belts with REAL ammo...and play cowboy cap guns in my holsters....I have NEVER been even questioned. Actually, never really even thought about it...

JF8936-001.jpg

FELON IN TRAINING.....

[smile]

My kid is going a as a gangster (note the "-er" ending....old school!) and has a Thompsom Airsoft as part of the look. It has no orange tip, so we wrapped the muzzle in orange surveyor's tape.[sad]

Sad to think that I'd be worried that some moron would think it was real.....I mean, who'd let their kid use a gun that valuable as a Halloween prop? [laugh]

An empty shell casing without an FID/LTC/exemption is a 2 year misdemeanor, not a felony. It is a liftetime LTC DQ though.
If it is a crime with a possible sentence of more than one year, then it is a lifetime DQ for the FFL NICS check -- you will never buy a gun from a dealer again -- and if the Feds ever find you in possession of a gun, you will end up with a real felony conviction.

Correction (from below): I thought that any misdemeanor with greater than 1 year was considered a felony -- it turns out that it must be a misdemeanor with greater than 2 years. Of course a felony with "1 year and a day" is worse than a misdemeanor up to 2 years. All quite messed up.

Btw: In the "old days" a felony was something you could be executed for. Anything without a capital punishment possibility was a misdemeanor.

Last edited:
[hmmm] i walk outside with drop legs, chest rigs, gun cases, range bags all the time.

no one even notices. [laugh] maybe they've become desensitized to me.

If it is a crime with a possible sentence of more than one year, then it is a lifetime DQ for the FFL NICS check -- you will never buy a gun from a dealer again -- and if the Feds every find you in possession of a gun, you will end up with a real felony conviction.

Yikes. There's been a few times when I've gone shooting, then the next day (I work in MA) I've reached into my pocket to find a shell casing that ejected and landed in my pocket.

If it is a crime with a possible sentence of more than one year, then it is a lifetime DQ for the FFL NICS check -- you will never buy a gun from a dealer again -- and if the Feds every find you in possession of a gun, you will end up with a real felony conviction.

Not exactly. Federal disqualification is triggered by...

1. A felony conviction with a potential penalty exceeding one year incarceration, or;
2. A misdemeanor conviction with a potential penalty exceeding two years incarceration.

(SEE: 18 U.S.C. 922(d)(1) and 921(a)(20)(B))

As GSG said, unlicensed possession of ammunition (M.G.L. c.269 s.10(h)(1)) is a misdemeanor with a potential penalty of two years incarceration , and is therefore not a Federal disqualification.

Last edited:
my granddaughter is a Halloween baby.

On her 16th birthday, she had a Halloween party to celebrate.

She dressed as a pirate. I gave her a .50 cal cap and ball pistol to stick in her sash (belt).
Her friends were amazed that she was carrying a real pistol. She didn't go out trick or treating but I doubt anyone would have said anything.

Back
Top Bottom