Went to Dean Safety at the mill

Years ago myself and several other police firearm instructors (possible @lowbuckbob was with me this day but I can’t remember) were asked to test the ‘new’ Shield .45 when they were first introduced and police depts wanted to swap up from 9mm to .45

SW was offering a fair discount if we decided to then go with their offering. We said sure send us a couple cases for testing and a bunch of us went down to Hanson and started going over them.

No exaggeration at all, we had 9 catastrophic malfunctions on the very first day of testing.

Slides locking up to the point of being unserviceable, even after beating them with hammers they wouldn’t budge, triggers literally snapping in half on the range at that stupid hinge they have, I don’t remember the other issues (it’s been over ten yrs) but they were literally the worst pistol I had ever seen or fired in my life. We were dumbfounded that SW even let these things leave the building. We boxed up the rest of them unfired and sent them back with a big “lol no thanks we’ll pass”.

I did hear maybe a year or two later they came out with the new Gen or fixed whatever but ever since then I kind of twitch any time I see SW Shield anything. It was and should of been embarrassing for them to allow those things to leave the factory floor.
What were you guys using at the time?

Ok now I get where the hate comes from, I actually didn’t research the gun when I bought it probably around 2014 maybe? I’ve got easily over a 1000 rounds through mine without any issues at all. Honestly before I read this I was kind of shocked at the negativity towards them in this thread but chalked it up to each his own.

Ya it was def before then. Luckily you got the later version it seems. I think this was around 2010ish maybe? I’m forgetting more and more details and dates about things in my old age, that’s why I tagged LBB on this, he was one of my instructors for the instructor course and dare I say it, maybe smarter than me? He’s Asian so it’s a given that he’s smart and knows karate.

Ya it was def before then. Luckily you got the later version it seems. I think this was around 2010ish maybe? I’m forgetting more and more details and dates about things in my old age, that’s why I tagged LBB on this, he was one of my instructors for the instructor course and dare I say it, maybe smarter than me? He’s Asian so it’s a given that he’s smart and knows karate.
And likes HK products

Kinda lost in the thread drift and forget what this one is about, but there seems to be a lot of the Mill FFL's watching this one. So...

Borrowed a friend's pistol at the range today and I really like it. Trigger takes a bit of a tug but I think that is better for the sake of safety. Haven't seen one at the Gun Parlor lately and was wondering if any of the Mill FFL's like Dean Safety have it in stock- my bud says they are super popular and hard to find. I think this is the exact same model as his:

180050_01_lg_4.jpg

Features
• MA Compliant 10.5 lbs. +/- Trigger Pull
• Extremely thin and lightweight - can be comfortably carried all day
• Polymer frame with embedded stainless steel rigid chassis system
• Striker-fired for short consistent trigger pull, every time
• M&P’s patented take-down lever and sear deactivation systems allow for disassembly without pulling the trigger
• Includes 2 magazines, one with extended capacity for full grip

What were you guys using at the time?
Patrol carried the 226 in either 9 or .40 I think. My unit at that time carried 1911’s and we kept those, these others were for the regular patrol units and they ended up going with the Sig 220 .45 that we are also testing alongside the SW’s.

Admittedly, I'm lazy and didn't read any of the previous 237 posts, other than the first...

All I want to know is... "Is there going to be a Boycott, Yes or No?"

just kidding.

Seriously? This whole thread is literally about MAGA Arms boycotting Sheild and Taurus customers.

Patrol carried the 226 in either 9 or .40 I think. My unit at that time carried 1911’s and we kept those, these others were for the regular patrol units and they ended up going with the Sig 220 .45 that we are also testing alongside the SW’s.
The 226 was the best pistol we ever carried. The ergonomics and the action were spot on. Range qual with that gun was like cheating. I could do the qual shooting pretty much one ragged hole on the paper.

The 226 was the best pistol we ever carried. The ergonomics and the action were spot on. Range qual with that gun was like cheating. I could do the qual shooting pretty much one ragged hole on the paper.
It really was. I bought and carried one daily after returning home from the .mil

And after seeing the shooting trophies from your team I’m not surprised by that. lol

No shit, if I can sell Anderson lowers for $250 a pop, why the F would I sell a handgun and only make $50 ?

Pretty sure they have the profit thing figured out, more power to them.

Maybe Dean Safety can correct me if I am wrong, but if they could sell Shields at a 200% markup, they would sell Shields.

Makes it worth their while to sell a $200 gun for $600.

I don't wanna be that guy, but if they're not making enough money on transfers they should just up their price on transfers.

On the same token, if they don't want to be profitable on transfers, it's unlikely they'll bring in stock of shields to sell a few hundred over msrp.

+1. Nice choices all.

Years ago myself and several other police firearm instructors (possible @lowbuckbob was with me this day but I can’t remember) were asked to test the ‘new’ Shield .45 when they were first introduced and police depts wanted to swap up from 9mm to .45

SW was offering a fair discount if we decided to then go with their offering. We said sure send us a couple cases for testing and a bunch of us went down to Hanson and started going over them.

No exaggeration at all, we had 9 catastrophic malfunctions on the very first day of testing.

Slides locking up to the point of being unserviceable, even after beating them with hammers they wouldn’t budge, triggers literally snapping in half on the range at that stupid hinge they have, I don’t remember the other issues (it’s been over ten yrs) but they were literally the worst pistol I had ever seen or fired in my life. We were dumbfounded that SW even let these things leave the building. We boxed up the rest of them unfired and sent them back with a big “lol no thanks we’ll pass”.

I did hear maybe a year or two later they came out with the new Gen or fixed whatever but ever since then I kind of twitch any time I see SW Shield anything. It was and should of been embarrassing for them to allow those things to leave the factory floor.

If it was 10 years ago, you weren't shooting a Shield .45.

Kinda lost in the thread drift and forget what this one is about, but there seems to be a lot of the Mill FFL's watching this one. So...

Borrowed a friend's pistol at the range today and I really like it. Trigger takes a bit of a tug but I think that is better for the sake of safety. Haven't seen one at the Gun Parlor lately and was wondering if any of the Mill FFL's like Dean Safety have it in stock- my bud says they are super popular and hard to find. I think this is the exact same model as his:

180050_01_lg_4.jpg

Features
• MA Compliant 10.5 lbs. +/- Trigger Pull
• Extremely thin and lightweight - can be comfortably carried all day
• Polymer frame with embedded stainless steel rigid chassis system
• Striker-fired for short consistent trigger pull, every time
• M&P’s patented take-down lever and sear deactivation systems allow for disassembly without pulling the trigger
• Includes 2 magazines, one with extended capacity for full grip
ooow, what you said!

Most cops I know can't shoot for shit, but the ones who practice and like guns can really chootemup big time.
Agreed. Qualifications were always interesting and sometimes dangerous. Or was it the other way around? lol
I always wore a vest with that many cops being unholstered at once.

Agreed. Qualifications were always interesting and sometimes dangerous. Or was it the other way around? lol
I always wore a vest with that many cops being unholstered at once.
I know one cop that shoots x rings with his model 60, like no one should be able to. He's always at the range practicing. He's a dog handler and says he wants as little weight to carry as possible, in case he's gotta keep up to the dog in pursuit. Makes good sense when you think about it. I'd sure like to have that dog.

You were shooting an M&P .45. The Shield .45 only comes with single stack mags 6+1 and 7+1. It's a great shooter.
That’s it, you’re 100% correct, thanks for refreshing the nomenclature for me, it’s been a long time and my memory isn’t the best anymore.

Alright all you Shield maidens, you’re safe, I’ll go f*** off over here somewhere for a minute. lol Sorry for my confusion on that.

ETA: I’ll correct my initial post to reflect accurately.

Last edited:
Thank you NES... This is a really good thread.
Multiple combatants all making their points but nobody's actually crossed the line.... Yet.

Maybe I'm naive but I think the main antagonists would still like each other if they met over beers or gunfire.

Overall, we agree on far more than we disagree about... We're under attack. We need to stick together.

I have done business with both dean safety and maga arms and although they won’t sell me a shield or Taurus, they are willing to provide me weekly with a detailed list of their entire available inventory, which no other FFL will do

makes it really easy to see what they have, just call and ask for the list
That list sounds like gold! What a great idea! Wish he would share it with me too haha

Thank you NES... This is a really good thread.
Multiple combatants all making their points but nobody's actually crossed the line.... Yet.

Maybe I'm naive but I think the main antagonists would still like each other if they met over beers or gunfire.

Overall, we agree on far more than we disagree about... We're under attack. We need to stick together.

Just not Shield owners.

There's business realms in this industry (and many others) where moving items like that at retail is actually a waste of time for some people. It's no different than entire scopes of work i reject as a guy who fixes computers. There's a bunch of work which I'd simply rather not even bother with, or it's cost inefficient. Or I don't do it because I'd rather not get into something that potentially/likely leads to a bad customer relationship. Like I literally will not touch a consumer grade laptop unless it's for a friend or family, or a large existing customer twists my arm.... this situation is no different.

Sage Software is the automatic 'no' from me. That and Volvos. No fkin thanks.

Back
Top Bottom