What are your Skills?

glostamon

NES Member
Realizing there has been a lot of focus on equiptment discussions, and the desire for new topics from some of the regulars here.

What skills do you have that you could barter with in the event of a serious economic collapse.
Do you have skills (not dependent on "Hi-Tech" or maybee even a stable power grid) you could trade for items or other services in an economic catastrophy scenerio?

For me I have masonry skills (installations & repairs) aswell as fishing skills (ability to harvest seafood).

So whats your skill(s)?

Yeah, in a SHTF scenario I'm screwed in this respect. I install Avaya phone systems and peripherals. Something that will be completely useless where the power and phones are most likely going to be down.

Napoleon Dynamite: Well, nobody's going to go out with *me*!
Pedro: Have you asked anybody yet?
Napoleon Dynamite: No, but who would? I don't even have any good skills.
Pedro: What do you mean?
Napoleon Dynamite: You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.
Pedro: Aren't you pretty good at drawing, like animals and warriors and stuff?
Napoleon Dynamite: Yes... probably the best that I know of.
Pedro: Just draw a picture of the girl you want to take out... and give it to her for like a gift or something.
Napoleon Dynamite: That's a pretty good idea.

Will tutor for food. Early reading, reading for comprehension, math through Algebra. Physics, Chemistry and advanced topics will require payment in beer as well.

Other than that, I can't do squat.

I can arrange to smuggle you to China and stay there as an illegal alien.

Edit: For real, I can teach Chinese. You might need it. [wink]

Last edited:
I can weld badly... I can build and design stuff, make power generation equipment that'll be wanted. I can run a mill/lathe/etc.

I can also do some rudimentary carpentry. You don't want me doing finish work, but hey, if the SHTF you won't care much [wink].

Last edited:
I have lived outdoors for months at a time with no permanent shelter. I can deal with being cold, wet, hungry. I have no problems being alone in the wilderness.

I can fish better than hunt. Living in Maine winter survival would be very tough. A pair of snowshoes and a rifle could make winter survivable.

On the lighter side..................I can eat bugs and drink my own urine without vomiting[smile].

There's two of us on this forum with this skill! SWEET!

I posess excellent leadership skills-I am ALWAYS telling people what to do!!!

Seriously people need leaders.
Leaderless sheep need direction in a(hypothetical) economic collapse.
If you can delagate effectively & in a fair manner its a good skill.
(Provided people take you seriously.)

If your good at consuming food & drink and making wise cracks,thats great and a fun awnser on an internet forum.[rofl]
But I'd rather be able to do leather stitchwork,carpentry,basketweaving,glass work,farming

In all seriousness, I do posess real leadership skills. I was a team & squad leader in the infantry, for 10 years, and worked as the PSG on several occasions.
On several training exercises I also led people of all ranks-LTs, SFCs, on down-as part of an "irregular fighting force". Granted, that was only 2 days long, but I stepped up to the role.
I also served as a supervisor in an alarm company for 11 years, until I got laid off (different job now, no leadership slots :) ). Also just got elected as my bagpipe band president, after only being with them for 2 years (and better than half the band has been there for at least 10 years). I prefer to delegate, and is something I am actually decent at-one person cannot do everything-if everyone has a little piece of the puzzle, we can put it together a LOT quicker than one person could.
So, yes, I do actually posess those skills, and have had many, many courses & classes in training & motivating people. So much so that poor leadership caused me to leave my national guard unit. I simply cannot put up with incompetence.

In all seriousness, I do posess real leadership skills. I was a team & squad leader in the infantry, for 10 years, and worked as the PSG on several occasions.
On several training exercises I also led people of all ranks-LTs, SFCs, on down-as part of an "irregular fighting force". Granted, that was only 2 days long, but I stepped up to the role.
I also served as a supervisor in an alarm company for 11 years, until I got laid off (different job now, no leadership slots :) ). Also just got elected as my bagpipe band president, after only being with them for 2 years (and better than half the band has been there for at least 10 years). I prefer to delegate, and is something I am actually decent at-one person cannot do everything-if everyone has a little piece of the puzzle, we can put it together a LOT quicker than one person could.
So, yes, I do actually posess those skills, and have had many, many courses & classes in training & motivating people. So much so that poor leadership caused me to leave my national guard unit. I simply cannot put up with incompetence.

Sounds like you have security/protection srvcs. to offer also.
Alot of wealthy people don't have firearms or military/LE training,so armed security providers could be a big business/skill.

Glos: IMHO this is a good question and ya got some good answer…:) I believe to be a good leader you have to be willing to do it yourself and
“do it yourself.” Once you have set the bar folks will follow. This question you ask makes folks evaluate themselves, or not, and that’s a good thing .

As for unique or specialized skills, I can't say that I've got any. When it comes to basic skills, I can definately hold my own though.

-Basic woodworking/carpentry (may come in handy)
-Basic auto repair (the routine stuff)
-Basic gardening (we need food right?)
-Basic first aid (very important when help won't be here for a while)

Nothing that will make me completely self sufficient, but enough that I can trade labor for something I need. On top of that, in college I helped one of my friends (a dual major electrical/mechanical engineer) make a very small wind turbine off of otherpower.com's design. It's not the most pretty thing, but it works and can be made from salvaged parts.

As for unique or specialized skills, I can't say that I've got any. When it comes to basic skills, I can definately hold my own though.

-Basic woodworking/carpentry (may come in handy)
-Basic auto repair (the routine stuff)
-Basic gardening (we need food right?)
-Basic first aid (very important when help won't be here for a while)

Nothing that will make me completely self sufficient, but enough that I can trade labor for something I need. On top of that, in college I helped one of my friends (a dual major electrical/mechanical engineer) make a very small wind turbine off of otherpower.com's design. It's not the most pretty thing, but it works and can be made from salvaged parts.

"HandyMan" or laborer is a skill however there might be alot of competition in the general labor pool.
.Specialized trades & skills will fill nietze markets and necessities.
Some specialized repairmen & Dentists, would thrive.

When the "Great Depression" hit inthe early 30's Americans were far more self sufficent.
Today people buy chicken at the supermarket,the majority osf people today would not not how to butcher & clean a piece of poultry,or where to begin.
People made their own clothes,soap,produce and electricity and refrigeration were relatively newer luxuries.
The Americans who lived in the depression were not dependent on technology like people are today.
They still practiced or were not that far off (generationally removed) from "Life Skills".

"HandyMan" or laborer is a skill however there might be alot of competition in the general labor pool.
.Specialized trades & skills will fill nietze markets and necessities.
Some specialized repairmen & Dentists, would thrive.

When the "Great Depression" hit inthe early 30's Americans were far more self sufficent.
Today people buy chicken at the supermarket,the majority osf people today would not not how to butcher & clean a piece of poultry,or where to begin.
People made their own clothes,soap,produce and electricity and refrigeration were relatively newer luxuries.
The Americans who lived in the depression were not dependent on technology like people are today.
They still practiced or were not that far off (generationally removed) from "Life Skills".

This is so true...when people lose cable it can be a bad day for them[rolleyes]
For a number of reasons I have learned to sew, garden, can, shoot(fairly new to this). I did miss out on the hunting classes this year. Hubby can do just about anything. Has many years behind him for hunting. Plus we are both in the medical field which can come in handy.

Back
Top Bottom