What Club/Range do you belong to?

In ~4 hours I can officially say I'm a member of the The Bell City Rifle Club in Southington, CT

[party] yea, I'm pumped !! Finally a close place to shoot anytime I feel the need....and I'm looking forward to meeting more of the members, so far them seem like a great group
http://www.bellcity.org/

None currently, until recently I had family "issues" occupying most of my time. Currently looking for one around Fitchburg.

Went to the one in Shirley a long time ago(as in 20ish years ago) with a friend, went to North Leominster Rod & Gun as a guest a couple times last year but haven't seen any others around here. Have been doing most of my shooting lately when I am in NH visiting family.

Suggestions?

PM me if you would do me the favor of showing me around your favorite range. I plan on joining one soon.

Last edited:
I just went to the new member meeting at the Westford Sportsman Club. I was a bit late due to my ever reliable sense of direction, but I really liked what I saw. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until July to get voted in, since my job will be taking me out of town for the next meeting. I'm looking forward to getting started!

I joined Westford Sportsman's last year. All the people I have met there so far seem really good. The rifle and pistol ranges are OK ( I have seen better at some other clubs) - but I think it is their overall mix that stands out.

I still can't get used to the whole club thing here. All I really want is a range, not a club, and I don't mind paying usage fees to help keep up the range. That basic arrangement doesn't seem to exist in MA, unless I only want to shoot on the odd Sunday morning when non-members are invited to our local clubs.

Therefore, despite the drive, I do most of my shooting at the Manchester Firing Line in NH (http://www.gunsnh.com).

I still can't get used to the whole club thing here. All I really want is a range, not a club, and I don't mind paying usage fees to help keep up the range. That basic arrangement doesn't seem to exist in MA, unless I only want to shoot on the odd Sunday morning when non-members are invited to our local clubs.

Therefore, despite the drive, I do most of my shooting at the Manchester Firing Line in NH (http://www.gunsnh.com).

It's your call, but I can't imagine spending that much money on range time. I probably spend an average of 10-15 hours a month at Westford. That would cost me as much per month as I pay WSC per YEAR.

I still can't get used to the whole club thing here. All I really want is a range, not a club, and I don't mind paying usage fees to help keep up the range. . . .

Gun clubs come in lots of different configurations. I've belonged to ones that were truly clubs in the sense that they were primarily social venues, and I've belonged (and currently belong) to ones that were/are pretty much just ranges, with little social interaction expected or offered. As an example, at North Leominster there are a few social activities, and while I'm sure they'd be happy to have more participation in them I don't get the sense that anyone necessarily expects members to do any more than just pay their relatively low annual dues. I tend to use the club as a range - members have the key code for the gate, there's no requirement to have a designated range officer present, and the ranges are "open" from early morning to sunset. Most of the relatively few members that I know - primarily from bumping into them regularly on the range - do the same.

Perhaps I should check out more local clubs. I shoot about 2-3 hours each week, usually all at once. When I do have time to shoot, I'm not looking for a club environment. Not to sound antisocial, but I'm quiet, stay to myself, and I just want to get in, shoot and get out.

Manchester Firing Line, though a bit of a drive, is practically anonymous, which is pretty much how I like it. I know the guys behind the counter and that's all the socialization I need. I didn't need the blessing of established members to get in, there's no social events, no work parties, no hanging out in the clubhouse. It's a place about shooting and only shooting. Does something like that even exist in MA?

Most clubs can be like that if you want them to be. I go to the Westford meetings once a month, but I don't really need to. I'll probably help out when we put a new roof over the outdoor pistol range shooting line, but again, no one says you have to. Most days when I go to shoot it's just me, or me and one other person/group. The only exception to that is 'choir practice' on Sunday afternoons. (A group of defensive handgun shooters practices together every Sunday) There are no required workdays or anything. Dues are $120/year and there's a $150 one time initiation fee.

The other clubs I shoot at regularly for matches (Worcester Pistol and Rifle and Harvard Sportsmen's Club) are similar, but you can optionally get half off your dues for putting in some work. I think most clubs in MA are similar. Sorry I don't know about clubs closer to you.

Holland Rod & Gun in you guessed it Holland, Mass. I was thinking about joining another club but the Holland Rod & Gun is a five minute WALK from my house what more could you ask for[smile].

Perhaps I should check out more local clubs. I shoot about 2-3 hours each week, usually all at once. When I do have time to shoot, I'm not looking for a club environment. Not to sound antisocial, but I'm quiet, stay to myself, and I just want to get in, shoot and get out.

Manchester Firing Line, though a bit of a drive, is practically anonymous, which is pretty much how I like it. I know the guys behind the counter and that's all the socialization I need. I didn't need the blessing of established members to get in, there's no social events, no work parties, no hanging out in the clubhouse. It's a place about shooting and only shooting. Does something like that even exist in MA?

I'm a member of Mass Rifle Association.

http://www.massrifle.com/

Like some have mentioned already... the club can be whatever you want it to be.

MRA is open 24hrs... each member has their own key fob... you come and go as you please. If there are other people at the range, most keep to themselves unless you initiate conversation... or once in a while someone might come over to see what you've got if you're shooting something interesting. But for 98% of the time... you're on your own with no interactions.

So if you want to keep to yourself... walk in... shoot... leave... without any social interactions... no problem. I've done that tons of times at MRA. I also take advantage of the 24hour thing and sometimes go at 10pm or later and it pretty much guarantees I have the range to myself.

Regarding you going up to Manchester Firing Line every time you shoot... I would seriously rethink that. No offense... but that's just throwing your money away... when you could be buying more guns and ammo!

If you join MRA... you pay:

$110 one-time initiation fee.
$100 yearly membership due.
$75 get-out-of-work fee (must either pay the $75 or do the 8hrs of work to get your key fob... so you just pay the $75 up front... do your 8hrs later on and get reimbursed next time you pay your yearly dues... or in your case, since your priority is to avoid social situations... just pay it upfront and be done with it).

This is $285 for the first year.

And only $100/year every year after.

24 hr range. You can remain as anonymous as you please while you're there. No one to check you in. No one to keep an eye on you. Nothing. If there are people in there hanging out in the main lounge, simply walk by and go into the range. No need for pleasantries.

According to what you posted, 3 hours at Manchester Firing Line each week = $43.50 in renting a lane alone, assuming you bring your own ammo and guns.

That means you spend ~ $174 per month... or $2,088 per year at Manchester Firing Line!!!! [thinking]

If you were a member of MRA you could be spending almost $2000 that you'd save every year on more guns and ammo!

Seriously... look into your local clubs... some are structured like MRA and have great hours and few restrictions... making them favorable for the kind of range experience you're looking for.

Last edited:
What he said. Plus less mileage to pay for.

The main thing is that MA clubs get supported with memberships. Bad times are coming with the next election shaping up as a liberal landslide for the anti's. Believe it or not things can still get worse in MA.

But clubs do need support beyond dues only. If we don't pitch in shooting will cost even more.

Last edited:

i'm a member at mfl, and i love it, but you're right...the hike up there is killer...especially with these gas prices, i'm in the same boat as you, i just want to go to a place and shoot....

i live in hopkinton area, so i'm looking for something around there. i've thought about the one in woburn...but it's a hike when all i want to do after work is go shooting. i take the commuter rail in, so i don't have a car at work, in boston...anyone know of anywhere i should be looking? i have a .45, 9mm, handgun, and .22lr rifle...so i want to be able to shoot those...

Danvers Fish and Game in Middleton. Outdoor pistol/rifle, indoor pistol, indoor/outdoor archery, 3D archery course, primitive area, cowboy action, skeet, trap, trout pond, plates... A nice family oriented club.

Chris

I'm a member at Woodsman Rifle and Pistol.
http://www.woodsmanrifleandpistol.com/index.html
It's nice having a range less than 5 minutes from my house.

That's a tiny little club house! I shot there for a bullseye match. It may not have many members, but they had a decent team and more women on the team than any of the others I shot against.

I'm new on the bullseye pistol team having shot only one match. I've managed to improve my score by about 50 points in practice sessions the past few weeks. There are definitely some good shooters here and they're helpful too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom