What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Well, if your target is 25 yards away or less, 38 specials are great fun, but I haven't seen any 38 special loads, factory or reloaded, that could match the accuracy of .357M loads at 50-100 yards out of my Henry Big Boy Steel 20". My most accurate results have been in .357M over a relatively fast powder, and I don't load it to the max pressure. I've had great luck with the 125 grain Zero JHPC bullets. They look like Hornady HAP bullets but with a shallow cannelure pressed in (pretty confident they are reworked Hornady HAP bullets, to put in the cannelure, but I can't be sure). They're between 0.356" and 0.357" in diameter, call it .3565", but they're consistently better than 1.5 MOA out of my .357M Big Boy Steel at 100 yards. I've been loading them over 7.5 grains of Universal, yielding only about 1400fps out of the 20" Henry. I've shot them at up to 2000 fps over other powders, but they aren't as accurate then.
im just not sure if 38 vs 357 with the same bullet would have a huge difference in accuracy. Maybe velocity...?
I might have to by a 38/357 lever gun to find out! Plus I have a 38/357 bullet mold collecting dust.

im just not sure if 38 vs 357 with the same bullet would have a huge difference in accuracy. Maybe velocity...?
I might have to by a 38/357 lever gun to find out! Plus I have a 38/357 bullet mold collecting dust.

I only know what I see. I can only surmise why I see it. We're talking about a gun that is chambered for .357M that can shoot .38SP, not a .357M gun shooting .357M versus a .38SP gun shooting .38SP. That means a much larger jump to the rifling when shooting .38SP. Plus .38SP will typically transit from supersonic to subsonic over 100 yards when shot out of a 16" barrel or longer. I get MOA performance out of the 125 grain Zero JHPC over Universal in .357M, which sends them out at about 1450 fps, and they can stay supersonic the whole way, or close enough. I have loaded hot .38+P+ cartridges in .38 special using the same bullets and powder choice for the Rossi. They sucked compared to .357M loads in that gun, though perhaps that result is intimately connected to that particular gun. I don't end up shooting .38 specials in my Henry, so maybe I would be pleasantly surprised in it, but I had similar issues with .44 Special loads in my .44 Magnum lever gun. Those were factory loads, though, so maybe it was the ammo.

So this last Saturday I was able to take the Henry down to the club, of course it was 6:00 PM and the sun set was coming, I was able to run a target stand out to 50 yards and shot for groups with the irons and using a front rest. My light 158 Blue SWC 3.4gr TG formed a nice ~1.5" 3 shot group, I had 2 real fliers for the 5 shots. I'd really need to shoot more to confirm. These were my first shots out of the gun and were hilariously light to shoot, and fed perfectly fine for a SWC. I also shot some factory PPU 158 gr. JSP, S&B 158gr. JSP, Winchester 110gr JHP 5 shot groups as well.

I really need to get some range time in with this gun, I'm not used to these Buckhorn style sights. I settled the bead into the little notch at the bottom and held at 6:00 on the bullseye. Of course, it's a used gun, first time firing, and I don't know how it was previously zero'd if at all. But the groups were ~ 3 inches low and trending to the right at 50 yards. I'll need to upload photo's when I get a chance. I feel like I could have shot better groups if it wasn't getting so dark and hard to focus on the front sight. Either way I was SUPER impressed with this rifle and love how it handled.

It might be a travesty, but I'm considering throwing an optic on after some more range time, especially for 100 yards and doing some load development for it. I didnt have any of my .357 loads available.
20191005_192415.jpg 20191005_192430.jpg

Last edited:
So this last Saturday I was able to take the Henry down to the club, of course it was 6:00 PM and the sun set was coming, I was able to run a target stand out to 50 yards and shot for groups with the irons and using a front rest. My light 158 Blue SWC 3.4gr TG formed a nice ~1.5" 3 shot group, I had 2 real fliers for the 5 shots. I'd really need to shoot more to confirm. These were my first shots out of the gun and were hilariously light to shoot, and fed perfectly fine for a SWC. I also shot some factory PPU 158 gr. JSP, S&B 158gr. JSP, Winchester 110gr JHP 5 shot groups as well.

I really need to get some range time in with this gun, I'm not used to these Buckhorn style sights. I settled the bead into the little notch at the bottom and held at 6:00 on the bullseye. Of course, it's a used gun, first time firing, and I don't know how it was previously zero'd if at all. But the groups were ~ 3 inches low and trending to the right at 50 yards. I'll need to upload photo's when I get a chance. I feel like I could have shot better groups if it wasn't getting so dark and hard to focus on the front sight. Either way I was SUPER impressed with this rifle and love how it handled.

It might be a travesty, but I'm considering throwing an optic on after some more range time, especially for 100 yards and doing some load development for it. I didnt have any of my .357 loads available.
View attachment 306938 View attachment 306939
Nice. Skinner peep sights are the way to go. I’ve got my Henry 44 with a skinner sight and a 1.75-6 scope. Don’t hesitate to throw an optic on it.

Gawd, I hate the Marbles semi-buckhorn sights that come on Henry Big Boy rifles! I have more than one Henry Big Boy, and I have Skinner Express sights on two of them. The Skinner barrel-mount sight is a step down but is still an excellent "minimalist" option over the stock semi-buckhorn rear sight. You might have to replace the front sight with the receiver-mounted Skinner. An alternative would be the Ranger Point Precision cloverleaf peep sight that goes on the receiver. I think it's lower than the Skinner, so there would be less chance of needing a taller front sight.

If an optic appeals to you, consider the Ranger Point Precision RHINO rail instead of either of the Henry scope mounts, Weaver or Picatinny. The RPP rail is lower, lighter, and it's Pic with a channel down the middle that should enable you to continue to use your iron sights when your optic isn't installed. I have one on my .357 Henry Big Boy, which has a tang sight. Normally I use the tang sight, and it's set up low so that I'm actually sighting down the channel in the rail. But if I want to test some ammo or just feel like using an optic, I have a scope wearing QD rings set up for it. Best of both worlds right there.

Made up fifty 38spl the other day. It's a fun cartridge to reload.

For some reason the last few days I've kind of wanted to get a 10mm.
Ha, I just loaded a 100 rounds of 38sp today. Only thing I don't like about the 38 is you can't really see the powder in there if you are loading with a progressive. Happy to say though that the powder check die has yet to let me down.

Ha, I just loaded a 100 rounds of 38sp today. Only thing I don't like about the 38 is you can't really see the powder in there if you are loading with a progressive. Happy to say though that the powder check die has yet to let me down.
I'm a loading Luddite using a single stage, so I take a light and run it over each case before seating just to be safe, haven't had any issues. A friend like my Model 15 so much he just ordered a Model, should be arriving any day now. I also run 38s in my SAA clone.

I run a small flashlight through the hole in the middle of my 550 shell plate with decent results. It's a lot harder to see than when loading 9mm though! I use 3.5 grains of bullseye in my favorite load and its just enough powder to peak into view.

I'm a loading Luddite using a single stage, so I take a light and run it over each case before seating just to be safe, haven't had any issues. A friend like my Model 15 so much he just ordered a Model, should be arriving any day now. I also run 38s in my SAA clone.

Ohhh nice. What clone do you have? I've been dying for a nice Colt clone but MA seems to think they're bad and go on killing sprees once they come into the state. So I'm running a nice "case colored" Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt until I find one some day.

I have a light and camera setup on my 650 with bulletfeeder so I can watch on a screen and see if there is powder in the case. The screen also has a 4 way split so I mounted a camera above the casefeeder and the bullet feeder to monitor the levels of brass and bullets. I'll take a picture tomorrow when I get home. It works real nice and makes visual inspection very easy.

View attachment 306938 View attachment 306939
Chasing front sight clarity sucks!
Before going optics you could go old school. Get the smallest or even adjustable Iris you can see clearly through and the front sight gets a bit clearer. Or you can put a front globe sight up front for some really nice target work at 100 yards.
Henry Level Action Rifle No. 2 Tang Sight - 2019 New Products
And tge 17a globe sight and you got a nice target shooting set up.

Chasing front sight clarity sucks!
Before going optics you could go old school. Get the smallest or even adjustable Iris you can see clearly through and the front sight gets a bit clearer. Or you can put a front globe sight up front for some really nice target work at 100 yards.
Henry Level Action Rifle No. 2 Tang Sight - 2019 New Products
And tge 17a globe sight and you got a nice target shooting set up.

I have a Lyman and a Marbles tang sight. I would go Marbles every time.
I like the click adjustment vs just free wheeling it with the Lyman

Ohhh nice. What clone do you have? I've been dying for a nice Colt clone but MA seems to think they're bad and go on killing sprees once they come into the state. So I'm running a nice "case colored" Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt until I find one some day.
Taylor's & Company Smokewagon Deluxe. I actually haven't shot in a while. Just something about the Smith. I really want to get a shoulder holster for the Model 15.

I installed an led light kit from KMS Squared on my Lee Classic turret press and it’s great. No problem seeing powder charges.
I've been thinking of getting one of the press specific lights for my 550 but I always talk myself in to more primers. Ahhh it's a sickness.

Taylor's & Company Smokewagon Deluxe. I actually haven't shot in a while. Just something about the Smith. I really want to get a shoulder holster for the Model 15.
Man I'm jealous. Stupid state.
Yeah You can't beat a nice Smith at all. I have a few and if I had to keep one revolver it would be my 686. Hands down. It's just a big 15.

I've been thinking of getting one of the press specific lights for my 550 but I always talk myself in to more primers. Ahhh it's a sickness.

Man I'm jealous. Stupid state.
Yeah You can't beat a nice Smith at all. I have a few and if I had to keep one revolver it would be my 686. Hands down. It's just a big 15.
The 686 is great, it feels like cheating. I don't have one, but a friend does and I've shot it extensively. If it were an end of the world scenario and I was limited to a revolver, I would probably choose a 6'' 686, ha.

The 686 is great, it feels like cheating. I don't have one, but a friend does and I've shot it extensively. If it were an end of the world scenario and I was limited to a revolver, I would probably choose a 6'' 686, ha.
Agreed. That and a 21” special purpose barreled 870 in 12 gauge. That would cover all your bases.

just got a big box from ibejiheads. They're 230 grain round nose so they should function in all the .45s. One of the subguns was acting up the other day and now I'll see if it was the bullet style or if there's something wrong with the gun. I'll be using BE-86 which is my new do everything powder.

Started numbering my magazines to keep track of them while on the range.

image.jpeg

Not my safe pictured but so far, magazine wise this guy^^^^^^^^ is an amature.

I went to the range today to try out some of the Ibejiheads bullets I got yesterday. The good news is that the .45 subgun worked fine so I guess it just didn't like the flat point bullets I shot in it the other day. The bad news is that accuracy out of the Shield was less than I expected. I have to do a lot more testing before I decide. I also shot a mild load out of the 500. It's a 350 grain cast bullet ahead of 12 grains of Unique. It's accurate, easy to shoot and the velocity is 995 fps which is what I was looking for. I went out again yesterday and today and shot more Ibejiheads out of 2 handguns. The Ibejiheads are not producing the accuracy I expected. Much less accurate than Winchester fmj and there were a few .40s in the .45 boxes. I wanted to try coated but I guess I'll go back to plated.

Last edited:
Last night I found some Winchester reloading data for 45LC from 2001, before joining with Hodgdon, and having some Win231 and all the components, made a batch of the cowboy loads. 1st time reloading for 45lc
Capture1.JPG
http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manuals/Reloading/Vendor Supplied Load Data/Winchester.pdf
Shot them this morning. No recoil but a bit dirty. At 25yds my groups were inconsistent but revolvers are new to me and this is the 2nd time I have shot it. Nice to get out and it was a beautiful morning.

On Friday I had a 60 lb package from Brazos Precision dropped off, filled with 13 BnH 147gr. .357" Hi-tek Coated Bullets in nicely vaccum packed bags, I found an incredible deal for them. 10% off your first order for the month of October and order 60 lbs you earn free shipping, took advantage of the offer with a few friends... these bullets ended up being 5.3 cents each.

I decided to load up 50 with my current 150 gr. Blue Bullet load of 3.2 gr. Titegroup, which has always worked out well for me through my Canik TP9SFL and VP9L, and I felt like trying the powder Alliant Sport Pistol, loaded up 50 rounds of that at 3.4 gr, had to adjust seating depth slightly to pass the plunk test in all my barrels.

I was very impressed with how "clean" these bullets were to handle while loading compared to some orders of Blue Bullets I had in the past.

Anyways, Saturday afternoon I headed off to the range, of course only with 30 minutes sunlight remaining when I got there. I decided to shoot for 5 round groups at 15 yards, just rested my hands on the bench with the frame/dust cover resting on the lip of the table.

Top groups on each target are fired from the Canik, and the bottom is from the VP9L. (Yes the 5" point of impact difference is another conversation) POA was 6:00 on the bullseye with both guns. All groups shot with Winchester brass and Winchester SPP.

Snapchat-269027760.jpg

Couldnt even call the "groups" with the Canik a Group, whereas the VP9L shot them all like a laser. I have about 14K rounds through the Canik, and I haven't really done bench work or shot for groups with it in a long time but I was appalled to see the results, they were no where this bad before. I realize this is a subject sample of one group per gun per load. I'll need to run them again to confirm what I found.

I ran the 3.3gr. Sport Pistol load at my USPSA match on Sunday (I was woefully low on loaded ammo going into the weekend) and had no problems, but MAN was it smokey, it was incredible. I've never experienced this much smoke with my Blue Bullets with Titegroup. After the 100 rounds Saturday evening and the ~160 at the match, the bore exhibited no signs of leading. Just regular powder fouling.

Screenshot_20191014-164625_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20191014-164817_Video Player.jpg

Just another weekend's fun starting from the reloading bench.

On Friday I had a 60 lb package from Brazos Precision dropped off, filled with 13 BnH 147gr. .357" Hi-tek Coated Bullets in nicely vaccum packed bags, I found an incredible deal for them. 10% off your first order for the month of October and order 60 lbs you earn free shipping, took advantage of the offer with a few friends... these bullets ended up being 5.3 cents each.

I decided to load up 50 with my current 150 gr. Blue Bullet load of 3.2 gr. Titegroup, which has always worked out well for me through my Canik TP9SFL and VP9L, and I felt like trying the powder Alliant Sport Pistol, loaded up 50 rounds of that at 3.4 gr, had to adjust seating depth slightly to pass the plunk test in all my barrels.

I was very impressed with how "clean" these bullets were to handle while loading compared to some orders of Blue Bullets I had in the past.

Anyways, Saturday afternoon I headed off to the range, of course only with 30 minutes sunlight remaining when I got there. I decided to shoot for 5 round groups at 15 yards, just rested my hands on the bench with the frame/dust cover resting on the lip of the table.

Top groups on each target are fired from the Canik, and the bottom is from the VP9L. (Yes the 5" point of impact difference is another conversation) POA was 6:00 on the bullseye with both guns. All groups shot with Winchester brass and Winchester SPP.

View attachment 307818

Couldnt even call the "groups" with the Canik a Group, whereas the VP9L shot them all like a laser. I have about 14K rounds through the Canik, and I haven't really done bench work or shot for groups with it in a long time but I was appalled to see the results, they were no where this bad before. I realize this is a subject sample of one group per gun per load. I'll need to run them again to confirm what I found.

I ran the 3.3gr. Sport Pistol load at my USPSA match on Sunday (I was woefully low on loaded ammo going into the weekend) and had no problems, but MAN was it smokey, it was incredible. I've never experienced this much smoke with my Blue Bullets with Titegroup. After the 100 rounds Saturday evening and the ~160 at the match, the bore exhibited no signs of leading. Just regular powder fouling.

View attachment 307819 View attachment 307820

Just another weekend's fun starting from the reloading bench.

yeah Hi-Tek can smoke a bit but all of other pros outweigh the cons I think.
It just sucks on a damn day where the smoke lingers

yeah Hi-Tek can smoke a bit but all of other pros outweigh the cons I think.
It just sucks on a damn day where the smoke lingers

Yeah, I noticed a different "chemical-like" smell as well, not sure if it was from the coating, new powder, or both. After shooting thousands of rounds with a certain powder, it's interesting how quick you detect a scent difference.

Yeah, at a static position I made quite the cloud. Days with a slight breeze, never a problem.

Yeah, I noticed a different "chemical-like" smell as well, not sure if it was from the coating, new powder, or both. After shooting thousands of rounds with a certain powder, it's interesting how quick you detect a scent difference.

Yeah, at a static position I made quite the cloud. Days with a slight breeze, never a problem.
Probably the coating. It can have a pungent acrid smell.
I've heard that means the coating is under baked but I've over baked some and it still smells that way. I do love coating but I prefer the smell of traditional lubes, especially something containing Alox.

Back
Top Bottom