• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

What did you do in the reloading room recently?

You folks know of any good youtube channels on reloading you'd recommend? Since there's no ammo to be found, I just got all the supplies to start reloading my own shit.

Not sure how in depth it is, but theres links at the top of the forum

You folks know of any good youtube channels on reloading you'd recommend? Since there's no ammo to be found, I just got all the supplies to start reloading my own shit.

It's not youtube, but the Dillon facebook groups are pretty good. Yes, there's some of the facebook BS, but questions posted by people about reloading are typically answered quickly by multiple posters, with decent answers.

Loading 9mm on an xl650, and the shell from the casefeeder into station one wouldn't go up into the de-capper as I raised the shellplate.

I've learned not to force things on this press, that's how you break indexing rings, (among other things). So, I stopped, and was rather shocked to see the old primer on the decapping pin.

Think about that for a second. That old primer should have been on the other side of the flash hole, in the primer pocket, or PUSHED out.

IMG_1621.JPG

The batch of 9mm I loaded; part of what I'll need for practice this week and next weekend's match.

IMG_1622.JPG

Loading 9mm on an xl650, and the shell from the casefeeder into station one wouldn't go up into the de-capper as I raised the shellplate.

I've learned not to force things on this press, that's how you break indexing rings, (among other things). So, I stopped, and was rather shocked to see the old primer on the decapping pin.

Think about that for a second. That old primer should have been on the other side of the flash hole, in the primer pocket, or PUSHED out.

View attachment 401248

The batch of 9mm I loaded; part of what I'll need for practice this week and next weekend's match.

View attachment 401249
more than likely the primer was loose inside th case. If the primer did pull through the case web that case is still on the carrier , and if you did not remove it you loaded it and now its going to come back around to bite you again...

View attachment 401248

View attachment 401249

That's a new one.....you were right on to stop when it "felt" wrong. Great close-up pic.

more than likely the primer was loose inside th case. If the primer did pull through the case web that case is still on the carrier , and if you did not remove it you loaded it and now its going to come back around to bite you again...

Yeah, exactly.
I was thinking about this as I was walking this morning.
I was smart enough to stop, I wasn't smart enough to remove the case that was in position 2 at the time, which is where that old primer came from, (one way or another).

So, that batch of ammo is getting chamber checked and then marked "practice only".

Well life has been crazy lately with renovating the new "condo," moving, taking a new job etc. but I finally found some time to setup my bench. Cranked out some 9mm on the SDB and then decided to swap over the 650 for the first time to 9mm. Kind of funny how much less effort the 650 is. I'm using a new set of Hornady dies with coated bullets and can't seem to get them to not scratch the coating off a bit. Not a big fan of their seat/crimp die setup. What I think is happening is it's crimping slightly before seating completely. Have my crimp set to .380. Never had this problem with the SDB or the Lee 4 die set that went missing on me. PXL_20201008_024856481.jpg
PXL_20201019_124153152.jpg

Last edited:
.I'm using a new set of Hornady dies with coated bullets and can't seem to get them to not scratch the coating off a bit. Not a big fan of their seat/crimp die setup. What I think is happening is it's crimping slightly before seating completely. Have my crimp set to .380. View attachment 401269

I've learned to bell the cases "generously" when using coated boolitz. Loading on a Dillon 550.

Cranked out some 9mm on the SDB and then decided to swap over the 650 for the first time to 9mm. Kind of funny how much less effort the 650 is. I'm using a new set of Hornady dies with coated bullets and can't seem to get them to not scratch the coating off a bit. Not a big fan of their seat/crimp die setup. What I think is happening is it's crimping slightly before seating completely.View attachment 401269
View attachment 401278

Thats exactly happening. You want that process done in two different steps.
Wrangle up two separate dies, like the sq deal has, 1 for seating, one for crimping.

Yeah, exactly.
I was thinking about this as I was walking this morning.
I was smart enough to stop, I wasn't smart enough to remove the case that was in position 2 at the time, which is where that old primer came from, (one way or another).

So, that batch of ammo is getting chamber checked and then marked "practice only".
If you did pull that primer through the web , the primer you seated in it after should be seated pretty darn deep?

If you did pull that primer through the web , the primer you seated in it after should be seated pretty darn deep?

I was wondering that too, but I don't think so.
It's a Dillon XL650.
The primer punch comes up through the wheel that the primers are in. I just went into the garage and played with it a bit. I seated a primer and noted the position of the lever. Then I removed the casing from the shell plate and I was able to push the lever a LITTLE more. The punch rose less than 1/32 of an inch, (no I didn't measure).

So, if the web was blown out, the primer would be seated just slightly deeper than a normal one.

I chamber checked all of them, rejected two with high primers, didn't see any with a low primer.

So - I have 282 rounds for practice. I'll use them.

Diagram below of parts:

1603133301191.png

my blue bullet order...week 10....went from "processing" to "currently processing." i'm taking that as a good sign, maybe by week 12 they'll say "shipped." this has been a lesson in patience, something i'm not known to have. [wink]
week 11 today! next monday baby!! taking it with a grain of kosher salt. [laugh]

Fiddle with the MEC and banged out a box of 7/8 oz #6 field loads for pheasant. I realized I only had a half dozen or so factory loads left. Well a half dozen or so readily available. I’m sure there’s some tucked in a corner but I figured taking game with my own ammo would be awesome for a change. DFCD7BCD-6D37-4022-94DC-CCF539E35DD0.jpeg

Fiddle with the MEC and banged out a box of 7/8 oz #6 field loads for pheasant. I realized I only had a half dozen or so factory loads left. Well a half dozen or so readily available. I’m sure there’s some tucked in a corner but I figured taking game with my own ammo would be awesome for a change.View attachment 401540
I used to load some powder puffs for 20g night at the club. used the 20g inserts in my Citori Trap. smashed clays from the 16 with a touch under 7/8 shot at about 950 fps. loaded lite loads for 12g also 7/8 at about 1000 fps

I used to load some powder puffs for 20g night at the club. used the 20g inserts in my Citori Trap. smashed clays from the 16 with a touch under 7/8 shot at about 950 fps. loaded lite loads for 12g also 7/8 at about 1000 fps
Nice. I guess faster loads get there faster but me not knowing anything about trap shooting always figured that as long as you knew your lead who cares how fast they were moving.
I always use lighter target loads for hunting upland and they do their job if I do mine.
Hunting over a pointer helps. Almost always close up shots.

Nice. I guess faster loads get there faster but me not knowing anything about trap shooting always figured that as long as you knew your lead who cares how fast they were moving.
I always use lighter target loads for hunting upland and they do their job if I do mine.
Hunting over a pointer helps. Almost always close up shots.
back in mid 2000s lead sky rocketed to $75 plus a bag so almost everyone i know reloading shotgun went to light payloads , i went as light as 3/4 oz. Still crushed targets.
The only other reason for light loads is recoil, after a few hundred rounds at a match it can get to you.
My current pet load is 7/8 shot Clays powder for around 1150 ish fps. Best i have done is 97/100 from the 26 yard line and I can sneak into the low 20s from the 30. 1 1/8 loads from the 30 yard line show their value
Most of my trap shooting is from 16 yards

Fiddle with the MEC and banged out a box of 7/8 oz #6 field loads for pheasant. I realized I only had a half dozen or so factory loads left. Well a half dozen or so readily available. I’m sure there’s some tucked in a corner but I figured taking game with my own ammo would be awesome for a change.View attachment 401540

Even though I almost never shoot my shotgun....and I've got plenty of birdshot I bought cheap from Wallyworld...I've been looking at the Mec600 lately and thinking maybe its time to start loading shotshells.....

Even though I almost never shoot my shotgun....and I've got plenty of birdshot I bought cheap from Wallyworld...I've been looking at the Mec600 lately and thinking maybe its time to start loading shotshells.....
I feel the same way. I only shoot it during hunting season which ends up being maybe 3 boxes of shells.
However, MEC presses can be had for a song if you look around. Why not have the ability to make your own?
209 primers are still easy to find after all.

I feel the same way. I only shoot it during hunting season which ends up being maybe 3 boxes of shells.
However, MEC presses can be had for a song if you look around. Why not have the ability to make your own?
209 primers are still easy to find after all.
Out back arms had a few on the floor when I was there sat.

Out back arms had a few on the floor when I was there sat.
Those have been there a long time. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $40 for a MEC
My last score was two new old stock MEC presses. I believe it was the 650. One and 12 gauge and one in 20 gauge. $50 out the door.

Those have been there a long time. I don’t think I’ve ever paid more than $40 for a MEC
My last score was two new old stock MEC presses. I believe it was the 650. One and 12 gauge and one in 20 gauge. $50 out the door.
Im not sure these ones where there long. i know there was 2 mecjr by the door for a long time.
These look like a skeet shooters set, 12 , 20 and a 16g plus IIRC a mec for steel shot?
i did not look at the price.
i was buying/referbing mecs in the 2000s and they seemed to be everywhere for $20-50. Dont see many these days.
i did not even look at the prices. Gene is a cash wheeler and dealer im sure he would like those out of his way!

Im not sure these ones where there long. i know there was 2 mecjr by the door for a long time.
These look like a skeet shooters set, 12 , 20 and a 16g plus IIRC a mec for steel shot?
i did not look at the price.
i was buying/referbing mecs in the 2000s and they seemed to be everywhere for $20-50. Dont see many these days.
i did not even look at the prices. Gene is a cash wheeler and dealer im sure he would like those out of his way!
Yeah that’s true. He will cut deals.

Yeah that’s true. He will cut deals.
My years of messing with mec loaders are over. Sold a bunch in ebay to offset my ATA expense. Fun 10 years doing that. I have 3 left now. 2 mec 9000 and a 650 . I use the 650 for slugs and a quick box or 2 IF I ever get back into shooting trap for score I will fire up those 9000

My years of messing with mec loaders are over. Sold a bunch in ebay to offset my ATA expense. Fun 10 years doing that. I have 3 left now. 2 mec 9000 and a 650 . I use the 650 for slugs and a quick box or 2 IF I ever get back into shooting trap for score I will fire up those 9000
Nice. I’ve probably loaded less than 5 boxes in the years I’ve had my various mecs. Just not my game. I mainly make 00 buck loads for 12 gauge.

View attachment 401248

View attachment 401249

Probably just a single piece of old corroded range brass, I wouldn't worry about a single incident like that.

Similarly, I recently had the whole primer cup bottom push out leaving the cylindrical portion of the primer in the pocket on a .223 brass. The pocket was full of corrosion.

I loaded 5700 rounds of .45acp over the last 2 weeks. Yesterday UPS brought be a bunch of powder and now that I know where to get primers, I can load about 2000 more before I run out of brass. I throw all the small primer brass away. What a pain in the ass. I just discovered that .455 Webley comes in both large and small primer.

Back
Top Bottom