What did you do in the reloading room recently?

Is it necessary to store loaded ammo with the silica bags?

Doesn't seem to be necessary from where I sit, but I do tend to think it is a reasonable precaution when storing in an airtight or near-airtight container that might be subjected to a drop in temperature. This could cause moisture in the air inside the container to condense, so best to dry it out.

Had a $30 gift card for BP/Cabelas plus $8 in rewards so I put that towards the last 500 count box of Xtreme 240 gr 44 cal bullets at Cabelas today. Worked out to $46 out the door. Not bad.

Then my other 44 cal bullets came in the mail today. Unfortunately the seller decided to substitute ~50 of the 240 gr JHPs for 225 gr FTX bullets. Do I really need to trim the 44 mag brass if I’m using these in my Dan Wesson revolver with long chambers?? See note in manual below

5C3EB555-AC9B-46EB-9CC3-B6A100199242.jpeg
1451E9C6-DDA4-4E25-9F3A-1D674F3F5400.jpeg
BBE76F60-0A49-4BB9-B64D-082348F6C7D6.jpeg

Had a $30 gift card for BP/Cabelas plus $8 in rewards so I put that towards the last 500 count box of Xtreme 240 gr 44 cal bullets at Cabelas today. Worked out to $46 out the door. Not bad.

Then my other 44 cal bullets came in the mail today. Unfortunately the seller decided to substitute ~50 of the 240 gr JHPs for 225 gr FTX bullets. Do I really need to trim the 44 mag brass if I’m using these in my Dan Wesson revolver with long chambers?? See note in manual below

View attachment 422168
View attachment 422162
View attachment 422161

Whats the difference in length- Nevermind, yay Hodgdon
Looks like .030 diff, which almost makes it a longer .44 spl.

Did you try a dud untrimmed to see how it fits?

Whats the difference in length- Nevermind, yay Hodgdon
Looks like .030 diff, which almost makes it a longer .44 spl.

Did you try a dud untrimmed to see how it fits?
Ya I did - see 3rd photo. Fits in the DW just fine with plenty of room to spare in the chamber. I’m assuming it’s good to go. Maybe I’m overthinking this. I believe the shorter brass is for use in lever guns where the OAL can cause problems.

With the Lee Load all , to set primer, powder and wad then hand setting the slugs. . Winchester 209 primer, WAA12 wad, 37grains of HS-6 Hodgdon Powder , My slug and Some of the Winchester Red AA's. Then back on the Loadall to crimp. Probably not the most efficient way, but I'm only making 50. 60 or as many as I cast till the pot needs to be filled. I need to go slow, today is my first attempt at using this new mold , might take a few tries to get things right.

Waiting on a lee load all to arrive here. $58.00 at midway. I managed to get one before they sold out and with free shipping, and its showing its on its way.

Just need to find more shotshell primers..... somewhere..
Fortunately had a buddy give me some, but more are needed ....
:-(

Do I really need to trim the 44 mag brass if I’m using these in my Dan Wesson revolver with long chambers?? See note in manual below

No, you do not need to trim if it fits. However, as you probably would surmise, with the longer COAL, the standard loading data that assumes a trimmed case (hence lower case capacity) will result in lower pressure than you might prefer.

No, you do not need to trim if it fits. However, as you probably would surmise, the standard loading data that assumes a trimmed case (hence lower case capacity) will result in lower pressure with a longer COAL than you might prefer.
Yup good point. And Hornady data tends to be on the conservative side too. I’ll go somewhere in the middle and work up from there.
Thanks

Yup good point. And Hornady data tends to be on the conservative side too. I’ll go somewhere in the middle and work up from there.
Thanks

I wouldn't load very many. I was using H110, so I can't offer any guidance, but it's hard to understand how 15.5 grains of 2400 could have been so hot for them. QuickLOAD agrees with my intuition. Even with the trim and COAL of 1.645", it's only predicting about 25K psi. What did your COAL come out to be using the untrimmed case?

ftx.jpg

That's from Lyman 50th. QuickLOAD thinks 18.0 grains of 2400 at 1.645" overall length is a bit too hot. It doesn't think so at 1.675", but there's no point splitting hairs when the starting load in the Lyman manual is a full grain higher than Hornady's maximum with the same COAL. The Hodgdon powders seem consistent between the two sources, but something's screwy with the Alliant and Western powders. Do not understand.

Last edited:
I wouldn't load very many. I was using H110, so I can't offer any guidance, but it's hard to understand how 15.5 grains of 2400 could have been so hot for them. QuickLOAD agrees with my intuition. Even with the trim and COAL of 1.645", it's only predicting about 25K psi. What did your COAL come out to be using the untrimmed case?
I have H110 and 2400. Would prefer to use up my H110 for these. COL with the dummy round is 1.640" which is the suggested COL in the Hornady manual...

I have H110 and 2400. Would prefer to use up my H110 for these. COL with the dummy round is 1.640" which is the suggested COL in the Hornady manual...

You're in luck, then, because the H110 numbers make sense, except that Hornady has different numbers for W296 and H110. Note that I pulled that Lyman chart from the rifle page, apparently. The chart on the handgun page has the same loads, but the velocities quoted on that page are lower because the test barrel is shorter.

You're in luck, then, because the H110 numbers make sense, except that Hornady has different numbers for W296 and H110. Note that I pulled that Lyman chart from the rifle page, apparently. The chart on the handgun page has the same loads, but the velocities quoted on that page are lower because the test barrel is shorter.
Excellent. Appreciate you posting the Lyman load data. Now I’ve got some good references to start.
Luckily I’ve only got about 50 of these. The rest are standard 240 gr JHPs.

It’s tempting to try those Xtreme plated bullets with H110. Wonder how they’d hold up with a firm crimp and good charge of powder...
But I think I’ll save those for my powder puff Sport Pistol/N320 loads.

Though it sounds like a good excuse to reload I sure as hell wouldn’t want to wake up and stoke the stove every morning.
Get yourself a coal stove! I add coal twice a day. Shake down once. Empty ashes every other day.
$320 a ton bagged and delivered.
29 million BTUs for a ton of coal vs 20 million for a cord of wood.
Great job reloading though!
So, you are the guy melting glaciers.

Is it necessary to store loaded ammo with the silica bags? Or do you just do it as a precaution? Also where do you get them? Thanks

I dont know. Compared to some here, my reload storage is pretty ghetto.

I throw all the reloaded rounds in a zip lock bag. 200 rounds per bag. When I compete I grab one bag and go.
I throw all the bags in a cardboard box.
I throw the cardboard box in a closet.

I dont know. Compared to some here, my reload storage is pretty ghetto.

I throw all the reloaded rounds in a zip lock bag. 200 rounds per bag. When I compete I grab one bag and go.
I throw all the bags in a cardboard box.
I throw the cardboard box in a closet.
i will up you one, since I reload around all my ofher shit most of my eloading shit is on the floor.

loaded some Gardners Cache .45/70s with 24 grains of 5744 for the trapdoor. They shot well. The bullet is a gas check .459 WFN and actually weighs 494 grains give or take about a fifth of a grain. All the bullets I got from them look good and the packaging is very secure. I also have some 6.5, .30 and .303 powder coated gas checked to try out.

i will up you one, since I reload around all my ofher shit most of my eloading shit is on the floor.

My turret press and powder measure are clamped to the dining room table, with ammo cans with brass, bullets etc sitting next to it, along with a bag of 3K RMR 124 gr FMJRN.

My turret press and powder measure are clamped to the dining room table, with ammo cans with brass, bullets etc sitting next to it, along with a bag of 3K RMR 124 gr FMJRN.
im not allowed in the kitchen anymore (unless eating or cooking/doing dishes) , my wife still finds shot around here and there.

Back
Top Bottom